• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    M193 is standard stuff. Anti-personnel, light duty. M855 is "enhanced" penetration. Useful against light armored targets, body armor, light armored vehicles, and cars etc. It's also heavier causing potentially greater damage. But its also more likely to overpenetrate. It depends on the rifle being used too. On an M16 or M16A1 style rifle M193 is more likely to tumble and fragment upon encountering a target. M855 on the same style rifle will be even less stable and more likely to keyhole and degrade accuracy. On a modern style AR the M193 will be better stabilized and less likely to fragment. Same with M855.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I don't mean to thread jack, but what do you guys prefer between NATO stuff...193 or 855?

get the 193 if you can. It'll be more accurate. If you need defensive stuff, a nice heavy hp, ballistic tipped, or sp bullet would be much better than either. If you get 855, just don't expect much more than 3" or so at 100. 193 can do substantially better.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Hey, we think alike! That's really why I'm asking! I shoot the hell outa 193, but I sit on the 855 for shtf. I'm just wondering if that's an ok way of thinking. Lol

I would do the other way around. M193 is better for damage to soft targets. M855 tends to pass straight through soft targets and leave a much smaller wound channel. Better than either one for soft targets is 69gr HPBT, which should work well in most 1/9, 1/8, and 1/7 barrels.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Correct me if I am wrong isn't m855 green tip

Not always. The Brits do not put green paint on theirs.

The idea of the green paint was to differentiate between M193 and SS109 loads. If a country issued M193, they tend to use the green paint.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Not always. The Brits do not put green paint on theirs.

The idea of the green paint was to differentiate between M193 and SS109 loads. If a country issued M193, they tend to use the green paint.

Green paint on the SS109 (62gr steel penetrator). Added for clarity.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    They have very good prices. Got 250rds of .45 but haven't shot any yet. The shipping does take a while they are west coast based, shipped from Clarkston, WA.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    Anyone else interested in going splitting a case? I'm in Severn but work in DC Area so anywhere in between is good. As previously stated I would split 2,3, or 4 ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom