• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    So all summer I've been planning on an M1A pre-10/1. I love the Garand action and have wanted an M1A for a while. Thing is, it's going to run me just about broke to pull it off. It's going to eat money from my car/truck parts budget, and forget about affording ammo to shoot it any time soon. All that said I still want one, but I've been pondering today about maybe picking up a slightly cheaper soon to be banned item instead and putting the M1A off until I can escape MD for good. I can't make up my mind so I'm asking y'all. Front runners would be either:
    -Sig 556 classic. Cool 551 looks and uses pmags. Ak ruggedness. Cash and Carry. Downside is I won't be able SBR it in MD.
    -AK-74 wire folder. I'm building a 47 underfolder now, but couldn't hurt to have a 74 too. Cheap ammo. Expensive mags though. Regulated transfer.

Any thoughts, other suggestions?

Edit: fwiw, I considered a PTR91, but I hear they don't like commercial .308, and no FALs as I'd only want a para which =$$$.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    You can just buy the M1A incomplete lower and build it later when you have the money.

I would put an AR at the top of the 'must have' list; after a service pistol naturally. And after a good .22LR plinker. I think I'd even put the Tavor above an M1A, they are about the same price, and the Tavor uses AR mags. You do give up range and power, but you get better ergos and a much more capable gun at closer distances.

There is an Industry Partner (IP) here selling M1A lowers, that might be the ticket.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I'll add the 1911 and AR15 are covered. I'd thought about the M1A receiver but I'm not skilled enough to build one myself and for what it'd cost to pay someone to do it, I'd be better off buying a complete rifle. The M1A is still the front runner, just weighing my options(and trying not to think about the wallet pain). I do seriously intend to be out of MD in the next 3-4 years.

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    So all summer I've been planning on an M1A pre-10/1. I love the Garand action and have wanted an M1A for a while. Thing is, it's going to run me just about broke to pull it off. It's going to eat money from my car/truck parts budget, and forget about affording ammo to shoot it any time soon. All that said I still want one, but I've been pondering today about maybe picking up a slightly cheaper soon to be banned item instead and putting the M1A off until I can escape MD for good. I can't make up my mind so I'm asking y'all. Front runners would be either:
    -Sig 556 classic. Cool 551 looks and uses pmags. Ak ruggedness. Cash and Carry. Downside is I won't be able SBR it in MD.
    -AK-74 wire folder. I'm building a 47 underfolder now, but couldn't hurt to have a 74 too. Cheap ammo. Expensive mags though. Regulated transfer.

Any thoughts, other suggestions?

Edit: fwiw, I considered a PTR91, but I hear they don't like commercial .308, and no FALs as I'd only want a para which =$$$.

Thoughts about your list since you are asking:

M1A before anything else - it's built to last and besides being better engineered, it's a more accurate firearm without today's "technology gadgets" out of the box.

Too Bad the rifle was sidelined 50 years ago. 50 years later I would still stack it up against today's offerings. It's not sexy or light but it kills like the best of them and that what counts.

Don't get me started on the M14 - Its does the same as the M1A and it is sexy :)

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I think you need to assume that you will not be able to get anything that is getting banned now in 5-10 years down the road, even if you move. You have no idea what will happen to the laws between now and then - but chances are they will not be more permissive than they are now.

Don't buy what everybody else says you should buy - buy what YOU want to make sure you own. Listen to what people think - but at the end of the day, make up your own mind.

Suppose it came down to a Tavor or an M1A - I would get the M1A, probably so would most people on the board. But that is just our preference. If you really really wanted a Tavor and you only wanted the M1A because everybody said it was cool - it is ok to make the unconventional choice.

Now go buy the M1A :-)

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I have had Garands for awhile and always wanted a M1a. When 281 became a reality I knew I had to make some purchases. Did my home work, I found a Scout Squad at Duffys. Man picking up a walnut stock and I was sold. If I could afford another I would get another. Bought a sling, 20 rd. Mags. and just finished 5 coats of linseed oil on the stock.

Get the m1a. Yo wont be sorry

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The other option is to place an "order" for an M1A from a friendly dealer.

That way you have the "purchase order" and can actually get it later, when the money situation is better.

jododan

This is my safety, sir.
    Dec 7, 2011
    Down County
    And another option on the M1a... look for a good used one. Springfield M1a's come up pretty regularly in a price range similar to a new PTR91. If it is out of state, find a deal with a decent transfer fee program and you would be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom