• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I smashed my thumb up years ago on a friends rifle. First day he had it. He loaded it and needed to bump the op rod forward. I thought it was going to be the same for me & I got sloppy. Hasn't hppened since.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I just went and checked min out. I cannot pull either knob out so it doesn't click. The windage knob also clicks when I push on the elevation screw. The main difference is I can tighten the windage screw enough thati. It takes a lot of effort to turn but if I press the elevation screw to the right it adjusts normally. If I loosen the windage screw one click I can adjust both knobs with no problem and they both still click. This setting seems more prone to possible come out of adjustment but it seems more proper and I am personally more comfortable with it. I just wanted to double check with others whether the guy n the CMP forums seemed correct. I guess I'm just going to have to go shoot it now ( not right now) and find out. Thanks for all the input.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    When you talk about tightening the windage screw, or loosening the windage screw one click, do you mean the slotted nut on the windage knob?

I'm doing everything with the actual screw on the elevation knob on the left. Examining my rifles, I can snug the slotted nut down a bit. After a little take up, turning it further just starts clicking the elevation down until it bottoms out. Once the elevation bottoms out, I can snug up the slotted nut just slightly more. However, when I click the elevation back up and back down a few times, that slotted nut just loosens itself slightly, right back where it was before. It seems to be intended to have a little rotational play in it: once it's loosened back to the point it started at, it stops. It doesn't loosen further with the screwdriver/combo tool. On both my rifles, I can turn that slotted nut a little bit with just a fingernail, but only within limits. I don't think it's meant to be messed with.

Are you coming to the match at the AGC on December 8? We need to start telling people about it sooner.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I just went and checked min out. I cannot pull either knob out so it doesn't click. The windage knob also clicks when I push on the elevation screw. The main difference is I can tighten the windage screw enough thati. It takes a lot of effort to turn but if I press the elevation screw to the right it adjusts normally. If I loosen the windage screw one click I can adjust both knobs with no problem and they both still click. This setting seems more prone to possible come out of adjustment but it seems more proper and I am personally more comfortable with it. I just wanted to double check with others whether the guy n the CMP forums seemed correct. I guess I'm just going to have to go shoot it now ( not right now) and find out. Thanks for all the input.

The way to tell is to back the screw off the one click and run the sight up, push down on the aperature with your thumb and if it does not slide down then you are good. If it slides down then tighten the screw back up the one click.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I probably should have been more clear. I hate typing I prefer showing people what I am talking about. Stupid computers.
    When I say Windage screw I mean the slotted nut in the middle of the Windage knob. That is NOT what I found loose after last Saturday. This slotted nut does have a little play and only really tightens about every quarter turn when it reaches a detent.The only reason I ever messed with that at all is because a few months ago I had to completely dissassembly
    My rear sight due to a chipped tooth on my aperture. I'm thinking I mustn't have re-assembled it snugly enough since
    I never had problems with anything coming loose prior to that. I am planning on coming out in Dec. Is there something at AGC in early Nov?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom