• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • n1111tr0

Jul 9, 2008
    Belcamp
    I just picked up an m1903 at a gunshow. its in great shape but i would like to clean up the stock a little bit. I dont want to do a full refinish because I like the look of the original finish and all the little nicks and scratches. But I would like to do something to give it a little love and protect the wood. Im 95 percent sure its the original wood and finish so it should get some attention. Someone suggested I should use linseed oil but I have no idea. Any good ideas?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You can clean it gently with a little Simple Green, then hand-rub some boiled linseed oil or pure tung oil.

Do not use anything called "finish", such as "Tung Oil Finish". You can get boiled linseed oil in the paint department at Home Depot. BLO was the original finish.

Use it very sparingly. (You might want to mix it 50-50 with mineral spirits .) Just dribble a few drops on the wood with your finger tips, then rub it in very briskly with the palm of your hand. The wood should get warm, and your muscles should ache a bit by the time you're done.

There should be very little excess, but if there is, wipe it off with paper towels, then flush them down the toilet. Do not keep BLO soaked rags or paper towels around, nor throw them in the trash. They can spontaneously combust and burn your house down. I really do flush them down the john, or you can seal them in a can with some water and throw them in your neighbor's trash.

Anyway, oil the wood every day for a week, every week for a month, every month for a year, and every year forever.

Also, post pictures! Tell us more about your 03! Details! Range report! Pictures!

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    You can clean it gently with a little Simple Green, then hand-rub some boiled linseed oil or pure tung oil.

Do not use anything called "finish", such as "Tung Oil Finish". You can get boiled linseed oil in the paint department at Home Depot. BLO was the original finish.

Use it very sparingly. (You might want to mix it 50-50 with mineral spirits .) Just dribble a few drops on the wood with your finger tips, then rub it in very briskly with the palm of your hand. The wood should get warm, and your muscles should ache a bit by the time you're done.

There should be very little excess, but if there is, wipe it off with paper towels, then flush them down the toilet. Do not keep BLO soaked rags or paper towels around, nor throw them in the trash. They can spontaneously combust and burn your house down. I really do flush them down the john, or you can seal them in a can with some water and throw them in your neighbor's trash.

Anyway, oil the wood every day for a week, every week for a month, every month for a year, and every year forever.

Also, post pictures! Tell us more about your 03! Details! Range report! Pictures!

what he said, though I would NOT flush paper towels down the toilet. Unless I was renting from a landlord I didn't like. I deposit my BLO saturated paper towels in the steel garbage can in my garage/shed, and tie it up in a HD plastic bag to be carted off with regular household trash. Never had any problems.

:needpics:

also, with M1903's, be careful. Low numbered receivers have problems with the steel used in the receivers and could give you an unpleasant KB, even with period ammo, much less modern stuff. check before you shoot and if you have a low number I'd not shoot it at all unless cleared by a seriously competent gunsmith first, and maybe not even then... "Low numbered receivers are those with serial numbers below 800,000 made at Springfield Armory, and below 286,506 made at Rock Island Arsenal."

:needpics:

n1111tr0

Jul 9, 2008
    Belcamp
    well mine is a winchester with numbers in the 300,000. will that be fine? I guess technically its not an m1903 but rather the m 1917. close enough for me.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    How do you have time for gunshows?

Shouldn't you be studying your tactics and memorizing every LZ in Rucker MOA?

Aren't you living in post billeting?

Surprised the Rucker Provost Marshall is allowing students on ADT/TDY to have POFs on post.

n1111tr0

Jul 9, 2008
    Belcamp
    well I just finished up BWS which was the last phase of IERW. I start 60's on the 19th. So basically all I have to do with my time is memorize uh60 5,8,and 9, do pt and buy new toys!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Boiled lindsead works really well, thats what I use on my carbines. I dont use tung or teak oil unless I am starting from a bare finish.

Disposal, I usually soak the rags in a water bucket for about a week outside. Once the volatiles boil off, there isnt a fire risk.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    US Rifle Model of 1917 is a different animal from the US Rifle Model of 1903, but that's okay. You need them both, of course.

So, Photos and more details on your '17!

By the way, I'm my own landlord, and I've never had a problem flushing paper towels. I tear them up, of course, so what's the harm? (We're on the sewer, not septic.) My wife, on the other hand, clogs up the john about twice a week with huge wads of toilet paper.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Don't use simple green, strips too much oil.

Use a rag with mineral spirits.

Wipe down with 100% tung oil or blo. Tung is much nicer though...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Nah, Linseed is the stuff for "improving" an existing finish. For totally new finish more options. Follow three band instructions.

It might even be a M1903 made in 1917, but a M1917 is totally different rifle. Has its own virtues, and some advantages for some custom rifle uses. But the M1903 has had serious collector interest for many decades.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I recently cleaned up the finish on an old rifle using only Windex with vinegar and a soft brush before I applied some tung oil. It worked really well.

Before it was lost in a canoing accident.

n1111tr0

Jul 9, 2008
    Belcamp
    it is truly a m1917. the rear sight is totally different than the 1903 and the stock has what they call a partial pistol grip. initially i thought it was a 1903 because they are similar looking especially the front 3/4. I just thought it was a 1903 that was made by winchester during the war. after i bought it i did some more research and found out the difference. Im ok with it. I like the sights much better than the 1903 because it has a peep sight instead of the groove sight. the gun is in outstanding condition. I got it to primarily be a shooter. having a safe queen is against my policy of gun ownership. I like lots of guns and I want to be as proficient as possible with as many guns as possible. cant do that if it sits in a safe. the only unfortunate thing about this not being a true 1903 is now i dont have my m1903 requirement filled. looks like i have t buy another gun...darn. this time im going to find a true 1903 with a wwII era scope. either replica or original. i dont care.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    it is truly a m1917. the rear sight is totally different than the 1903 and the stock has what they call a partial pistol grip. initially i thought it was a 1903 because they are similar looking especially the front 3/4. I just thought it was a 1903 that was made by winchester during the war. after i bought it i did some more research and found out the difference. Im ok with it. I like the sights much better than the 1903 because it has a peep sight instead of the groove sight.

03A3 has a peep sight.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    my bad, 303 :sad20:

The 1917 has a much better sight picture, primarily due to the front sight. The "peep" on the ladder of the 1903 is hard to use.

Since more 1917's were used than 1903's in WWI, it definitely has a place in every collection of mil surps.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    tung oil is great, but i would only use it for a new finish, since the rifle already has BLO, i would keep using that.

clean up the wood with mineral spirits, and one good way to clean it up, without doing anything major, is to scrub in 1 or 2 coats of BLO using 0000 gauge steel wool.

it makes for a nice smooth finish thats not too glossy, and it helps clean up some of the grime, scratches etc.

since its already finished, you only need 1 or 2 coats, its just a refresher, afterwards its also good to use a good wax.

doing BLO coats every few months or every year will get tobe a hassle if you've got many rifles, and its rather unecessary.

give it a good BLO finish, then wax it every now and then depending how much use it gets.

howards feed n wax is good, though i prefer the stuff this guy sells http://www.thegunstockdoctor.com/

its a BLO mix, great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom