• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jessie00721

Dec 29, 2012
    Hello, I am new here and was wondering if someone could tell me a good rifle that is equivalent to the M16A2. That was the rifle I used in the marines and really liked it. I found a few that seemed ok even though everything is sold out but one I think is close was a Colt LE6920. Any recommendations or better equivalent rifles out there? I am in no rush to buy, just want to know for future reference when everything settles down again.

Thanks,
    Jessie00721

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    Hello, I am new here and was wondering if someone could tell me a good rifle that is equivalent to the M16A2. That was the rifle I used in the marines and really liked it. I found a few that seemed ok even though everything is sold out but one I think is close was a Colt LE6920. Any recommendations or better equivalent rifles out there? I am in no rush to buy, just want to know for future reference when everything settles down again.

Thanks,
    Jessie00721

I actually created a thread on this already, gimme a minute I'll get ya a link. Alot of good recommendations in there

Here it is
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=97708

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

Thanks,
    Jessie00721

IMHO best bet is to assemble your own. I would go with the A3 style detachable handle if you want irons on a 20" profile and you should be right on with what you experienced and can change sighting options later if you decide so.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Bollinger Gunsmithing and Sales has a Spikes AR A2 build with the EGA emblem on the right side of the lower.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Assemble your own lower. I have an old MOS upper from BCM (before they had the BCM brand) and love it. Check with Paul at BCM or maybe Palmetto

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    The guy may not feel like having to build a rifle if this is his first AR. My suggestion is let things settle down a little, then pick up a Colt 6920 if you want an M4 style carbine.

If you want a 20" A4 type rifle, go with BCM. I have a 20" BCM flat top, and it is a nice rifle. You can buy a complete fully assembled upper from BCM, then buy a complete lower from the company of your choice with the fire control group already assembled. Attach upper to lower, head to range, shoot and repeat as much as your ammo budget allows. :)

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    If you search around you can find FN a2 upper. I went with an A4 upper but still. Reading around, I hear the A2's are out there. That would probably be a true M16A2 upper.

Make sure its a Gov profile, 5.56, cl, 1/7 twist. Cant go wrong with a basic A2.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Stag makes the model 4 if you need an HBAR 20", just keep in mind there is around 1-1.5 lbs of extra metal in the HBAR vs .gov profile.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Stag makes the model 4 if you need an HBAR 20", just keep in mind there is around 1-1.5 lbs of extra metal in the HBAR vs .gov profile.

That's nothing to worry about. My Bushmaster NM A2 is just shy of 10 pounds, my White Oak Precision NM A2 on the other hand is a beast at just over 17 pounds.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    That's nothing to worry about. My Bushmaster NM A2 is just shy of 10 pounds, my White Oak Precision NM A2 on the other hand is a beast at just over 17 pounds.

Thats with the two 4lb lead bars in it though right?

How do you like you WOA I have been thinking about ordering an A4 upper but can't get them to answer or call me back. Concerned with all the craziness it may not happen now. :sad20:

jessie00721

Dec 29, 2012
    wow, lots of information! what do you guys like better the carbine or gas operated? I don’t think I would put a rifle together from scratch yet, new to this area and don’t really understand all the different parts. Do a lot of these parts interchange with different manufacturers? You guys have turned me onto a bunch of other companies that sell the A2 style. Personally I liked the accuracy of the M16A2 with only the stock sights. Oh, another question I was curious about was in my military rifle it had a selection of 3 round burst. Do these AR style weapons have that option or is it just semi? I don’t really care as I like shooting 1 round at a time but wanted to know.

Thanks again,
    Jessie00721

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    wow, lots of information! what do you guys like better the carbine or gas operated? I don’t think I would put a rifle together from scratch yet, new to this area and don’t really understand all the different parts. Do a lot of these parts interchange with different manufacturers? You guys have turned me onto a bunch of other companies that sell the A2 style. Personally I liked the accuracy of the M16A2 with only the stock sights. Oh, another question I was curious about was in my military rifle it had a selection of 3 round burst. Do these AR style weapons have that option or is it just semi? I don’t really care as I like shooting 1 round at a time but wanted to know.

Thanks again,
    Sorry buddy, 3 round burst is nfa. More than one round per trigger pull. You could still get a rifle like that but the prices are usually a bit out of reach for most of us

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom