• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • evilf150

Aug 28, 2009
    essex
    if you owed a legal Registered Receiver full auto .
    do you have to do anything with the ATF to use multiple uppers on it ?
    (i.e 22lr 5.7x28 .223 6.8mm 8.5"-16" barrel) or can you just pop them on shoot and put the orginal upper back and be legal?:innocent0

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Well, any upper with a barrel less than 16" would have to have a tax stamp on that. The other part, I don't know.

Ouch, in theory you could have three tax stamps on one rifle, #1 for full auto, #2 for the short barrel, #3 for a can.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    You can use any kind of upper on it, even anything that is less than 16". in any caliber.
    No additional tax stamps required.

Suppressors require individual stamps.

notify the nfa folks of all calibers associated with the RR. They can update the info on the registry for you.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Well, any upper with a barrel less than 16" would have to have a tax stamp on that. The other part, I don't know.

Ouch, in theory you could have three tax stamps on one rifle, #1 for full auto, #2 for the short barrel, #3 for a can.

Actually machineguns trump SBR paperwork. If you have a Registered Receiver then you can put any length SBR barrel on it.

The caliber thing can be tricky in anything other than .22 or 5.7 (Both are .22 projectiles just like .223). The grey area is calibers NOT listed on the tax stamp paperwork, such as 9mm, 7.62x39, 6.8, 6.5, 7.62x25 ect......

ETA, SCAR beat me to it.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The question then is, what is the status of the short upper, when it is off the lower? If you have a full auto M16 with two uppers? One being 16", the other being say 11.5". If you do not own any other AR type rifles, you should be fine, but if you own an AR along with the M16, aren't you in constructive possession of a SBR?

evilf150

Aug 28, 2009
    essex
    Actually machineguns trump SBR paperwork. If you have a Registered Receiver then you can put any length SBR barrel on it.

The caliber thing can be tricky in anything other than .22 or 5.7 (Both are .22 projectiles just like .223). The grey area is calibers NOT listed on the tax stamp paperwork, such as 9mm, 7.62x39, 6.8, 6.5, 7.62x25 ect......

ETA, SCAR beat me to it.
    that's what i though.
    any .22cal nothing needs to be done rigth. but 6.8 you need to do a update rigth but do you have to wait for them to get back to you with it? befor poping it on?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The question then is, what is the status of the short upper, when it is off the lower? If you have a full auto M16 with two uppers? One being 16", the other being say 11.5". If you do not own any other AR type rifles, you should be fine, but if you own an AR along with the M16, aren't you in constructive possession of a SBR?

You are correct if you have a non SBR lower and posession of SBR uppers for your M16. Best bet is to install a protruding pin to you non SBR lowers and drill a recess on your non SBR uppers so you cant use any non drilled uppers on you non SBR lower.

Ive done this for several customer who were concerned about this very issue.

that's what i though.
    any .22cal nothing needs to be done rigth. but 6.8 you need to do a update rigth but do you have to wait for them to get back to you with it? befor poping it on?

Im not sure if BATFE allows calibers to be added, but they may. I havent run across this issue. Every RR M16 Ive dealt with was supposedly registered in multiple calibers.

evilf150

Aug 28, 2009
    essex

good question but i think if you have one SBR upper you should be fine it's when you have multiple SBR uppers in only one NFA lower and multiple not NFA lower you would be in constructive possession .

Eudaimonia

Sep 1, 2009
    For $8k a pre-86 transferable M16 might as well be a 401k... Hard to sell that one to the wife though (especially if she did the math and figures out how expensive it would be to feed).

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    For $8k a pre-86 transferable M16 might as well be a 401k... Hard to sell that one to the wife though (especially if she did the math and figures out how expensive it would be to feed).

Four things to consider. One is a SC ruling making the FOPA of 1986 or the NFA moot which would make many MG worth a fraction. The other is a statutory exception for the ATF to be able to offer a 90 day amnesty on some MG which were here before a certain date to be allowed to be regisstered (pre-1968 M16s?) which might lower the value of registered ones depending on how many new ones were registered. And the last is what if, though I seriously doubt it occuring, is if Obama and Congress decide to ban all existing ones or make them not transferrable?

Eudaimonia

Sep 1, 2009
    Four things to consider. One is a SC ruling making the FOPA of 1986 or the NFA moot which would make many MG worth a fraction. The other is a statutory exception for the ATF to be able to offer a 90 day amnesty on some MG which were here before a certain date to be allowed to be regisstered (pre-1968 M16s?) which might lower the value of registered ones depending on how many new ones were registered. And the last is what if, though I seriously doubt it occuring, is if Obama and Congress decide to ban all existing ones or make them not transferrable?
    Ssshhhh. You and your logic. :D
    If I bought an M16 and told my wife it was an investment she'd probably beat me with it and she'd be justified in doing it too.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    You are correct if you have a non SBR lower and posession of SBR uppers for your M16. Best bet is to install a protruding pin to you non SBR lowers and drill a recess on your non SBR uppers so you cant use any non drilled uppers on you non SBR lower.

Ive done this for several customer who were concerned about this very issue.

Im not sure if BATFE allows calibers to be added, but they may. I havent run across this issue. Every RR M16 Ive dealt with was supposedly registered in multiple calibers.

Very clever SR :thumbsup:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Very clever SR :thumbsup:

Thanks Atlasarmory. :D

I personally think its B.S. that people have to resort to these measures to avoid bringing the "man" into their life, but I guess its cheaper than replacing your front door, buying a new dog, posting bail, and paying an attorney to prove your innocenceafter BATFE goes crazy on ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom