• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    So last week I got my Service Grade SA M1 from CMP....
    Muzzle 1, Throat 2, new wood, SA Receiver, SA Bolt, SA Op Rod, HRA trigger group.... 5.3 million serial range.

Here is my question.... I field stripped it to clean it up and look for barrel markings.... I still don't see any. Barrel looks brand new though (inside and out).... any chance CMP replaced the barrel along with the furniture?

I'll get to look at even more of the barrel as I further strip it (just field stripped it for now) in preparation for oiling the wood, but I'm beginning to think there might not really be any.

Attachments

• 000_0001.jpg
      000_0001.jpg
      104 KB · Views: 367
    • 000_0002.jpg
      000_0002.jpg
      95.8 KB · Views: 354
    • 000_0003.jpg
      000_0003.jpg
      74.5 KB · Views: 352

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Barrel markings of some sort should be visible through the "gap" when you lock the bolt open. Over the chamber on the right side, but no doubt you knew that. If none are visible there, I don't know what to say.

Great looking rifle, though. Looks like you did really well.

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    Barrel markings of some sort should be visible through the "gap" when you lock the bolt open. Over the chamber on the right side, but no doubt you knew that. If none are visible there, I don't know what to say.

Great looking rifle, though. Looks like you did really well.

Nope, can't say I knew that..... I don't know how I missed it. I'll blame it on my ignorance as this is my first Garand. Its an SA barrel.... thanks Threeband!

Shocked at how good the barrel looks still. If I'm interpretting the markings correctly it was made January 55 (marked SA F6535448 1 55 MD 49 ) which I think is consistent with the serial number range. That sound right?

BTW, while trying to figure out how folks get their thumbs smashed in the bolt, I managed to smash mine..... got to admit, it hurt a bit.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I have a trigger group that is right for your sa and I'm looking for an hra group should you be interested in swapping at some point.

And yes be veru careful of M1 thumb. Always keep the blade of your right hand in front of the op rob to help prevent it.

Congrats on a nice rifle and great wear numbers with a little fitting of the cmp stock should make a great shooter.

Steve

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    I have a trigger group that is right for your sa and I'm looking for an hra group should you be interested in swapping at some point.

Steve

M1 noob here. Not even up to noob level really, as I've started on the CMP ammo, but not the actual rifle yet.

But is the part swap just about the historical accuracy, or is there an actual benefit, functionally, to having things match?

Thanks in advance!

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Just wanting to have a rifle that is all one manufacturer is all it really is.

There are some rifles that are correct in having multiple manufacturers but the trigger group as far as I know was always supplied be the same company. SA/HRA/Win/IHC.

If we were talking about different parts like sights, bolts, op rods sometimes those were actually made by another company. Its more about getting all the period and brand correct parts on the rifle. Nothing more.

Oh and there is nothing wrong with CMP ammo its accurate great re-loadable brass and its cheap. Grab up a handful while you can, its the best source of reasonably priced Garand safe ammo.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Just wanting to have a rifle that is all one manufacturer is all it really is.

There are some rifles that are correct in having multiple manufacturers but the trigger group as far as I know was always supplied be the same company. SA/HRA/Win/IHC.

If we were talking about different parts like sights, bolts, op rods sometimes those were actually made by another company. Its more about getting all the period and brand correct parts on the rifle. Nothing more.

Thanks. Obviously the parts work together, regardless of manufacture, but wasn't sure if there was any more to it than what you just explained.

I want one! LOL

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Also I have some Pure Tung Oil and stain if you wanted to touch up the color a little. I really like how my stock came out but it isn't nearly as dark as some others.

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    Also I have some Pure Tung Oil and stain if you wanted to touch up the color a little. I really like how my stock came out but it isn't nearly as dark as some others.

Thanks. I think I'm good there though.... I've done a bit of wood finishing and should have it covered. Thanks for the heads up though about possibly wanting to darken up the color.

As far as a trigger group swap, down the line you might hear from me.... I want to shot it as is first, then look to make it correct if I can.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Thanks. I think I'm good there though.... I've done a bit of wood finishing and should have it covered. Thanks for the heads up though about possibly wanting to darken up the color.

As far as a trigger group swap, down the line you might hear from me.... I want to shot it as is first, then look to make it correct if I can.

I used dark brown dye with some chestnut ridge dye and it looks nice. Wont necessarily be confused for a period correct finish but its my shooter not a safe queen so its ok with me. The Pure Tung Oil really made the grain come to life too!

Oh and one last thing, get a tube of Mobile 1 axle grease and a small bottle of mobile 1 oil. Works great and you would be hard pressed to ever use it all!

Good luck getting it out to the range :party29:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Here's some very detailed information on greasing your M1:

http://www.garandgear.com/how-to-grease-your-m1-garand

And a USGI diagram:

M1 Grease Points.jpg

Google "M1 Grease Points" for more nformation.

I guess you got the little "Read This First" booklet with your rifle. That is a very good book. I studied it slowly, and used it to completely detail strip my Garands and thoroughly clean them. It's been a while, but I'm sure there's lubrication information there.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    There are a few USGI replacement barrels out there that the markings will be under the hand guard, did you pull the rear hand guard off?

mh53gunner

Dec 17, 2009
    Not uncommon for a SG rifle to come with a HRA trigger group or bolt. The CMP sometimes will switch out the parts so they can sell the rifle as a SG. Many of the rifles that the CMP is selling could be made into "Correct Grades" due to the very good condition of the rifles.

Nice looking SG!

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    getting your first garand in the mail is hell of a thing aint it?

now be honest...you stuck the empty clip in the magazine and pulled the bolt back at least once just to hear that awesome PING didnt you..i know i couldnt help doing it a few times :D

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Those trigger groups were probably mixed up during the Eisenhower Administration, perhaps by soldiers cleaning their rifles, or perhaps by an armorer. I saw an interesting photo once that was taken in Normandy during the Hedgerow Fighting period, summer of '44. It showed a detail cleaning rifles. They had 30 or more Garands stripped and spread out for cleaning. Not only were they cleaning rifles for their whole company, they were making Mixmasters.

There's nothing more authentic than a Mixmaster.

By the way, if folks at the CMP are swapping parts, I'd expect them to create Correct Grades out of Service Grades, not making Service Grades out of Corrects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom