• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    i have a CMP Garand that is in amazing shape. throat guage of zero and perfect in every way. i want one i can BEAT THE HELL OUT OF. new wood, misc parts, basically not a historical one. i can just pick up the parts i need here and there at gun shows right? then once i get a receiver and barrel id need someone to get it set, and such? anyone built a garand? probly be like 500 all said and done? no idea what im getting into...help before i drown in my own ignorance!

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    i have a CMP Garand that is in amazing shape. throat guage of zero and perfect in every way. i want one i can BEAT THE HELL OUT OF. new wood, misc parts, basically not a historical one. i can just pick up the parts i need here and there at gun shows right? then once i get a receiver and barrel id need someone to get it set, and such? anyone built a garand? probly be like 500 all said and done? no idea what im getting into...help before i drown in my own ignorance!

Call SARCO, get a BM-59 kit ($495) and order a Garand receiver from CMP for $195. Work from there.

Mark

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    Could be done for a little more than $500 if you catch a lot of deals or beg for free parts from friends.Bare receivers can be found on occasion for $200,used barrels ranging from OK to shot out have been seen for $50-200,trigger groups for 100-125,used stocks 50 and up without handguards.I'm basing this off of what I've found recently in my travels looking for parts to complete my own projects.I don't go by gunbroker prices but what I've found at shows,gunshops and antique/junk shops.The route I'm attempting is to put together "technically" accurate rifles based around an HRA and late 44 SA receiver collecting dust in the safe.Concentrating on the HRA first and then moving to the SA.Personally whether or not I pick up a complete rifle or build one from parts I still pay someone competent to go through it for a safety check.Only took one P-38 coming apart in my face to learn that lesson.Factor pro help into financial equation where needed.All told probably quicker,cheaper and easier to pick up another CMP rifle of a lower grade.Unless you really have your heart set on building one,which I completely understand.Have the two M1's currently collecting parts for,AR lower trying to decide whether to go 6.8 or stay 5.56,and recently came to the conclusion I need an FAL kit to put together if I can find one reasonable.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    great thread, thanks!

I have an M1D that looks like it just came out of the crate. I've been wanting a Garand that i could knock around too.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Could be done for a little more than $500 if you catch a lot of deals or beg for free parts from friends.Bare receivers can be found on occasion for $200,used barrels ranging from OK to shot out have been seen for $50-200,trigger groups for 100-125,used stocks 50 and up without handguards.I'm basing this off of what I've found recently in my travels looking for parts to complete my own projects.I don't go by gunbroker prices but what I've found at shows,gunshops and antique/junk shops.The route I'm attempting is to put together "technically" accurate rifles based around an HRA and late 44 SA receiver collecting dust in the safe.Concentrating on the HRA first and then moving to the SA.Personally whether or not I pick up a complete rifle or build one from parts I still pay someone competent to go through it for a safety check.Only took one P-38 coming apart in my face to learn that lesson.Factor pro help into financial equation where needed.All told probably quicker,cheaper and easier to pick up another CMP rifle of a lower grade.Unless you really have your heart set on building one,which I completely understand.Have the two M1's currently collecting parts for,AR lower trying to decide whether to go 6.8 or stay 5.56,and recently came to the conclusion I need an FAL kit to put together if I can find one reasonable.

for some reason a CMP one makes me feel guilty about shooting it. my CMP is a SA early 1945 and its just too beautiful to shoot. think of it this way. if i had an original 427 cobra, it would be a garage car. id get a kit 427 and beat on it. i DEFINATELY will get it safety checked. i plan on the build taking at least a year, just so i can pick something up here, something there, and tinker. thanks for the help guys. basically are all internal parts interchangeable? as far as milsurp this, new that..etc

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    for some reason a CMP one makes me feel guilty about shooting it. my CMP is a SA early 1945 and its just too beautiful to shoot. think of it this way. if i had an original 427 cobra, it would be a garage car. id get a kit 427 and beat on it. i DEFINATELY will get it safety checked. i plan on the build taking at least a year, just so i can pick something up here, something there, and tinker. thanks for the help guys. basically are all internal parts interchangeable? as far as milsurp this, new that..etc

THe get a H&R or Springfield Service Grade. Guaranteed to be post WWII (Korean vintage), so that won't be a problem...

Or, get a Field Grade. I can promise they won't look "too beautiful to shoot"! :D

Jamie

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek

THe get a H&R or Springfield Service Grade. Guaranteed to be post WWII (Korean vintage), so that won't be a problem...

Or, get a Field Grade. I can promise they won't look "too beautiful to shoot"! :D

Jamie

I agree with what Jamie says. Financially it makes more sense to pick up another service grade or field grade Garand from CMP. At least you pretty much know exactly what you're getting, it's been inspected by the CMP folks and at a good basic price. Then you can put the one "too pretty to shoot" aside and throw $'s at the lesser one.

If you're intent on putting extra $'s into improving a lower grade Garand, go for it. But keep in mind building a Garand isn't the same thing as building an AR from a lower and parts kit. A Garand build sounds to me like a much more expensive proposition than simply getting another decent and safe shooter from CMP.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Service Grades can be any year. Mine is from December '43. It's the Correct Grades that are post war. My Correct Grade has a 1955 barrel date. Both are shooters.

You should feel guilty about not shooting them, in my opinion. My Service Grade has the Greek repark job and a new birch replacement stock. It also has a mix of postwar parts, including an HRA trigger group.

The Service Grades are meant to be shot. And actually, I shoot hell out of my CG.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Service Grades can be any year. Mine is from December '43. It's the Correct Grades that are post war. My Correct Grade has a 1955 barrel date. Both are shooters.

You should feel guilty about not shooting them, in my opinion. My Service Grade has the Greek repark job and a new birch replacement stock. It also has a mix of postwar parts, including an HRA trigger group.

The Service Grades are meant to be shot. And actually, I shoot hell out of my CG.

Of late, most of the store reports have been stating that the WWII receivers all have new barrels and newer USGI or new production wood on them. Very few WWII Receiver/Barrels left...

Jamie

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    My service grade Springfield I got last month is a '55 receiver and barrel. Lucked out and got GI wood.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Of late, most of the store reports have been stating that the WWII receivers all have new barrels and newer USGI or new production wood on them. Very few WWII Receiver/Barrels left...

Jamie

I got mine three years ago. I put a sticky note on my order asking for a WWII receiver and a USGI stock, if possible, please. I got the receiver, but not the stock. But notice my Dec. '43 receiver has a 1955- dated replacement barrel.

That's just fine with me. I collect Mixmasters.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I got mine three years ago. I put a sticky note on my order asking for a WWII receiver and a USGI stock, if possible, please. I got the receiver, but not the stock. But notice my Dec. '43 receiver has a 1955- dated replacement barrel.

That's just fine with me. I collect Mixmasters.

youre right any garand is a good garand!

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    thread from the dead! Threeband is putting so much Garand info in my head, im getting these bad ideas again........

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you want some bad Garand ideas, check out Shuff's Mini G!

How about a Mini G in .308 with a 20 round mag?

image-gallery.jpg

Woot! Woot!

Come on over to the dark side... bwa-ha-ha-ha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom