• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I wanted to find out what you guys are seeing out there for a MD priced M1 Carbine. I was debating on selling one of my 43' Garands (43' receiver and barrell) to fund a Carbine but I don't like selling guns...ever.

There seems to be more to learn about carbines than there is about Garands so I was looking at trying to pic one up from the CMP auction. They have a bunch out there with 4 days left ranging from $800-$1200. I have not been watching these to see what they average but I would guess it's not $800.

Do you guys have some recommendations on where to pic on up for a fair price?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    M1 carbines range wildly in price. A good, accurate, late features (bayo lug, sliding sight) will run $800 in a common make like an Inland. Premiums come for iconic guns (Winchester, IBM, Rockola) or low production guns (Standard Products, S'G').

Lots of premiums for stock type, cartouches, early features, etc etc. But a good shooter grade original carbine in one of the more common makes (inland underwood, NPM, Quality Hardware) should be doable for $800ish.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    Last time I was at Duffy's (a few weeks ago) they had a nice-looking one for what seems like a good price, $800 I think. I'm no M1 Carbine maven, but you might PM them for details.

It was still there last week. It was a good looking gun. I was eyeing it up but after I put it down, Vince talked me into something else so now I have to wait longer.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I wanted to find out what you guys are seeing out there for a MD priced M1 Carbine. I was debating on selling one of my 43' Garands (43' receiver and barrell) to fund a Carbine but I don't like selling guns...ever.

There seems to be more to learn about carbines than there is about Garands so I was looking at trying to pic one up from the CMP auction. They have a bunch out there with 4 days left ranging from $800-$1200. I have not been watching these to see what they average but I would guess it's not $800.

Do you guys have some recommendations on where to pic on up for a fair price?

I own a wad of Carbines so I'll give you my take on them. Right now I'd try to find one on the CMP Carbine forum, the site sponsored by CMP that allows members to sell their pieces. I purchased a half dozen or so in the past year and generally pay $850 to $1195 and have picked up service grade or better rifles. The $1100-1200 range brought in a Winchester and an Underwood from the same seller, and both had been corrected with early parts: type 1 front band, correct stock, flip sight, flat bolt, push safety to name a few.

You can also find $800-900 service grade rifles on GunBroker, too, but you have to know the product, be patient and take some risk. You'll end up chasing the price and paying too much, if not careful.

I currently own three Winchesters, two Underwoods and one each of the other manufacturers. Like all of them. Sold a duplicate Standard Products last year. Saw my first Carbine in Nha Trang while flying for 1st MI Bn (ARS) in 1966. We took one on every flight that year; never left home without it.

Lew--Ranger63

Tito

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Baltimore County
    $800 seems to be the going cash price. If you are not familiar with the takedown of these rifles, I would suggest checking out a few videos on YouTube because I highly recommend doing a thorough inspection. I have seen a few dudes going for >$700.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I own a wad of Carbines so I'll give you my take on them. Right now I'd try to find one on the CMP Carbine forum, the site sponsored by CMP that allows members to sell their pieces. I purchased a half dozen or so in the past year and generally pay $850 to $1195 and have picked up service grade or better rifles. The $1100-1200 range brought in a Winchester and an Underwood from the same seller, and both had been corrected with early parts: type 1 front band, correct stock, flip sight, flat bolt, push safety to name a few.

You can also find $800-900 service grade rifles on GunBroker, too, but you have to know the product, be patient and take some risk. You'll end up chasing the price and paying too much, if not careful.

I currently own three Winchesters, two Underwoods and one each of the other manufacturers. Like all of them. Sold a duplicate Standard Products last year. Saw my first Carbine in Nha Trang while flying for 1st MI Bn (ARS) in 1966. We took one on every flight that year; never left home without it.

Lew--Ranger63

I agree with your assessment, working a large show I can still come up with a few decent M1s here and there between $800 and $1,000. A good muzzle gauge is a wise investment as there is a lot of CMP Rackgrade stuff in the market.

Ya I like carbines

100_1519.JPG

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    OP I have a Inland carbine i was gonna sell since i have two, Pm me your email tomorrow if you want some pics. when i get home from work i can dig it out and get some pics of it.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    There seems to be more to learn about carbines than there is about Garands[.]

This is truth. There are so many variations between makers and parts, it's really tough to know what's correct and what's not unless you really research and study. You just can't tell whether you're paying a fair price unless you know what you're looking at, what's supposed to be on the rifle, and what's not.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Now that Tyreese is dead then maybe all the Walking Dead fan Mall Ninjas who wanted an M1 Carbine Tyreese had will stop gobbling them up.

s34n

Feb 4, 2013
    Maybe someone in this thread can answer the question that I've been looking to ask, and that is how do you deal with an M1 Carbine with a mag over 10 rounds. I found one I wanted to purchase out of state with a 15 round mag. I asked if they could sell just the rifle without mag and sell me the mag on a seperate invoice, but they would not consider it because it was a consignment piece. They did say they could sell me the rifle, I walk out the door with the mag and they ship the rifle to a MD 01 FFL. It wasn't that great a deal so I didn't go for it due to the hassle of dealing with the transfer. I want to use my C&R for purchase. Could I have tried a different approach?

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Forget the mag, Just get one later, use your C&R and buy the rifle. or if close go there and buy the whole thing with your C&R, its not illegal to get the gun or mag out of state with your C&R

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I appreciate all of the help and this is definitely a learning process. I appreciate the info you guys have provided and the offers that have been made. I love this sub-forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom