• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    So I spent some time at the Howard County gun show this past weekend and ended up with this guy. I got it from a dealer out of Hagerstown, Collector's Corner. Nice guys. They said it was a 1944 barrel/action and a 1950-something stock.

M1Carbinefullview_zpsc7a5d8e5.jpg

This is stamped on the left side of the butt stock.

M1Carbinebutt_zpsd7a40940.jpg

This is the underside of the grip, just behind the trigger. The symbol is imprinted about 2mm deep into the wood.

M1Carbinegrip_zps9a8a7549.jpg

Just behind the front sight it says 'Underwood' and below that is the number '3-44' (March 1944 production?) and below that what looks like a cannonball with a lit fuse on the top. A little further back in the capitol letter 'P'.

M1Carbinefrontsight_zps897f2223.jpg

Here's the mag well. I was told the space between the left side of the stock and receiver is what called it out as a 50-something stock.

M1Carbinemagwell_zpsf511ce85.jpg

Serial number 5,391,774 and it says 'Inland Div.' above the number.

M1Carbineserialnumber_zpsaaabf06e.jpg

So, what do you think? I'd like to replace the stock with a correct one. I've seen Inland stocks from 1944 for sale. Is there anything specific to look for? Some stocks say 'low wood' and some say 'high wood'. What am I looking for? Any other tips to outfit her as a period correct firearm?

I'm pretty happy with her. :)

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I could be wrong but i Think the front sight is a replacement one. Normally I've seen front sights with a letter on them. My inland has a N marked on it just in front of the blade.

It's in a type 3 conf. ( type3 rear sight, bayonet lug and flip safety ) although the top hand guard looks to have two rivets as opposed to a Later one.

tinydata

Jul 29, 2011
    Potomac
    Oldcarjunkie is right about the type 3 parts.

The stock is a M2 stock (the cutout/space on the left side marks it as such) with the extra wood on the front to strengthen it. These are referred to as potbelly stocks. The stamp on the stock should say FAT (Fabbrica Armi Terni). This marks the stock as a stock that saw service with the post-war Italian armed forces.

M1 Carbines are fun guns- go and shoot it!

clay_shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2011
    MoCo
    I had a couple M1 Carbines and really liked them. I wish they could be converted to a more common round though. (Yet another caliber type of gun)

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Cool info, thanks!

Is there a way to date the stock? Or what is the range for the M2 stocks?

I don't see anything on the front sight at all. I had read that the safety selection change from button to switch happened in 1944, would the Type 3 parts still be correct for WWII?

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Since we are on the subject of M1 carbines. If you ever need to remove or change a rear or front sight. You can buy the tools fr 40 each or come over to Oldcarjunkie's and rent for 5.00 and I'll help ya. :D.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I think the stock has more personality/history being that it served with the Italians. I personally wouldn't change it. Guns like this have a story to tell and everything on it right now tells that story. It's your gun though and you can do what you like of course.

cmecha

Feb 10, 2009
    I have a 44 standard products that was rearsenaled at mt rainier.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Id leave the stock alone but if you find the front sight in indeed a replacement , I'd change that but you need to find a correct one that is pretty tall(as in not been filed down.)

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    really like the M1 carbine, have shot them in the military, but the cost of the ammo has stopped me from buying one

really great gun

.30 carbine has proven to be very easy to reload. I've been shooting 14.0 grains of H110 with a 115gr Lead round nose to good effect. No leading. Gas port is fine.

The cartridge is as easy to load as .45acp. It doesn't change dimension much and you can get a lot of reloads through a case.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    I think the stock has more personality/history being that it served with the Italians. I personally wouldn't change it. Guns like this have a story to tell and everything on it right now tells that story.

Another good point. I'd hate to do something that would take something valuable out of the collectors market. That's why we ask! :) I'll leave her as-is for now and see where I end up.

How did it shoot? Shoot the carbine and then determine if you want to put the money into it to make it "period correct."

I haven't had her to the range yet. Maybe this weekend.

Junkie, I may take you up on the sight offer. We'll see after I shoot her. I don't know what I'm looking for though. Do you have any specifics you can share?

screamingeagle

Mar 7, 2010
    Rehashing some of what has been told.
    receiver inland ,barrel underwood
    Bayo lug is Korean era, some say very late WW2
    Started with checkered push safety. In 42- early 43 went to smooth push button safety after that switch safety
    High wood is early WW2 and refers to the smaller gap between the wood at the slide, low wood has a bigger gap which is late war .
    Your sight is mid war early was a flip "peep" sight.
    No picture of bolt but flat top is early WW2 late war is round.

I have a correct early mid war 4-44 Paratrooper M-1 I will post soon, has high wood stock and correct sight ,bolt ,safety.I will post pics soon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom