M-T Headed for defeat (or: heads up O'Malley your career is over)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    This amendment was about the only thing that might have passed. The assault weapon ban is another amendment to the bill that is DOA with less support than the universal background checks. The assault weapon ban could not even get 40 votes so it could be heard on the floor.

I've said this before, but I will say it again. I am in favor of a universal background IF, AND ONLY IF, there is additional stipulations regarding NO REGISTRY and NO PAPERWORK BEYOND 5 years of purchase. Anybody violating either aspect of this would get 5 years mandatory, regardless of whether a government employee or not. That is about the only way I would support universal background checks.

splfd

Jul 27, 2011
    Unfree State
    From the article:
    “I commend Sens. Manchin and Toomey for working so hard to bring a serious bill to the floor,” Heitkamp said. “However, in its current form I do not see a path for my support. I’ve thought long and hard about this, I’ve taken the tough meetings, and I’ve heard overwhelmingly from the people of North Dakota; and at the end of the day my duty is to listen to and represent the people of North Dakota.”

That last sentence is everything. The way the system is supposed to work, unlike what many of our representatives did to us. I have to be honest with you guys, I can't wait until 2014.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    From the article:
    “I commend Sens. Manchin and Toomey for working so hard to bring a serious bill to the floor,” Heitkamp said. “However, in its current form I do not see a path for my support. I’ve thought long and hard about this, I’ve taken the tough meetings, and I’ve heard overwhelmingly from the people of North Dakota; and at the end of the day my duty is to listen to and represent the people of North Dakota.”

That last sentence is everything. The way the system is supposed to work, unlike what many of our representatives did to us. I have to be honest with you guys, I can't wait until 2014.

:clap: About time one of these politicians "gets it".

MDNavyVet

Mar 25, 2013
    PG County
    It would have been even better to have Senator Heitkamp say that her duty was to listen to and represent the people of North Dakota as well as support the United States Constitution that she swore an oath to do.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    From the article:

Just playing devil's advocate, have you asked your Delegates and Senator for the numbers for and against SB281 in your district?

I did and I got numbers from 2 of my 3 Delegates and my Senator is going to go back and get them for me.

The numbers for District 21 are posted here: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=112922

The numbers from the district, while not that many, were in favor of the bill.

Can you say the same for your district and prove it?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Just playing devil's advocate, have you asked your Delegates and Senator for the numbers for and against SB281 in your district?

I did and I got numbers from 2 of my 3 Delegates and my Senator is going to go back and get them for me.

The numbers for District 21 are posted here: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=112922

The numbers from the district, while not that many, were in favor of the bill.

Can you say the same for your district and prove it?

I don't need to look at the numbers for my district. All of district 9A were against SB281. Sure, I can prove it just by linking to the votes on SB281, but I'll leave that to you to confirm.

Senator Allen Kittleman - Opposed
    Delegate Warren Miller - Opposed
    Delegate Gail Bates - Opposed

I wrote them back in January and they all told me they were going to oppose SB281.

Now, what can we do to get those in YOUR district that voted for it, out of office come 2014? I am being serious here.

Also, do you know if anybody in your district was "allowed" to vote opposed because they were in a close district? That is, the "machine" allowed them to vote opposed so they could protect their seat for when their vote is really needed on something in the future.

I think figuring out who was allowed to vote opposed and which candidates are on shaky ground right now after voting for SB281 is our primary objective so we can focus on getting them out of office.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I don't need to look at the numbers for my district. All of district 9A were against SB281. Sure, I can prove it just by linking to the votes on SB281, but I'll leave that to you to confirm.

I wrote them back in January and they all told me they were going to oppose SB281.

Now, what can we do to get those in YOUR district that voted for it, out of office come 2014? I am being serious here.

Also, do you know if anybody in your district was "allowed" to vote opposed because they were in a close district? That is, the "machine" allowed them to vote opposed so they could protect their seat for when their vote is really needed on something in the future.

I think figuring out who was allowed to vote opposed and which candidates are on shaky ground right now after voting for SB281 is our primary objective so we can focus on getting them out of office.
    I am in the same district and did ask the offices about their constituent contacts:

Bates' office has not compiled the numbers completely as of yet; her staff stated (both in person and via email) that she received over 1000 contacts and her staff can only recall 10 in support of the bill.

Kittleman's office states 1465 opposed/119 supporting.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Good for you and your district.

Nope, all 3 Delegates and my Senator voted for the bill, and the way the "majority' of those that contacted them wanted them to vote. So they represented the will of their district.

As for who voted how, is easy, look up the votes on the amendments and then the bill, those that voted with the majority on amendments and then voted against the bill had permission to change their vote and should be removed.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013

Nope, all 3 Delegates and my Senator voted for the bill, and the way the "majority' of those that contacted them wanted them to vote. So they represented the will of their district.

As for who voted how, is easy, look up the votes on the amendments and then the bill, those that voted with the majority on amendments and then voted against the bill had permission to change their vote and should be removed.

Hey dblas, fabrosman and I are from 9A, satisfied with our representatives. I think what he's asking and I have been asking is: how can we help the other districts efforts to make it clear that voting against the COTUS will not be tolerated?

*** Bombing - bomber blamed. Shooting - gun blamed. Benghazi - nobody blamed. ***

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Wow, all of less than 100 people had contacted their delegates in District 21 as of March 25th. That is INSANE. Do people in District 21 care that little about politics, or is it that they just cared that little about SB281?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom