• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    towson
    I recently bought an Smith and wesson M&P(9) 9mm. i want to know what good ammo for target ractice and to use in an emergency for home defend? cheap ammo? i am new to this , also a good website for bulk ammo.

thanks

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    For target- Cheap 9mm 115 fmj.

Cabellas usually has decent prices, ammoman.com (price is shipped)
    Georgia arms makes nice stuff

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Federal, American eagle, fiochi, Winchester white box, and PMC are all cheap choices for range shooting. There are a ton of different defensive rounds. Most of the companies make them.

Surplusammo.com
    Ammoman.com
    Cheaper than dirt

Free state usually has bulk too

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    For target I buy Walmart WWB, Federal, sometimes I get bulk Wolf... For self defense I use Hornady Citical Defense. All cycle perfectly and are reliable in my Glock 19, M&P 9C.....

Mikey

May 19, 2009
    Ridge MD
    Both my M&P 9mm pistols prefer heavy bullets. I reload and now only shoot 147gr ammo. If your shooting is limited to less than 15yds, any weight works well. At 25yds I was able to go from 8" with WWB to 3" with my reloads. If your M&P is newer (2012) S&W has made some barrel changes that is supposed to help with all loads.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=84717
    Target=anything cheap

defense:
    speer- gold dot 124+p/147
    federal- hst 124+p/147/147+p
    winchester- pdx1 147
    rangers too
    remington- golden saber bonded 124+p/147
    hornady- critical duty 135+p
    cor-bon- 115+p dpx

underwood- 147+p+ gold dot.....this load is an asskicker and is what I'm currently carrying.

any of the above will be relatively similar in performance and do you well. They'll all penetrate past 12" and they'll all expand to 1.5 times diameter(the underwood loading expanding to .8"!!). The biggest factor is shot placement, followed by penetration followed by expansion. Other loadings like the glaser "safety slugs" don't penetrate reliably to 12" or fail in other ways.

I put heavy-for-caliber loads on here along with 124+p. the 147's tend to recoil less and be quieter than the 124+p while performing similar or better. The 147's will tend to favor penetration over expansion(unless they're like that underwood load...super fast for the weight...pdx1 is actually pretty hot too). Be sure to run the load you plan on using for defense through your gun to make sure it reliably cycles with it. I've shot a little over 1000 defensive loadings through my p99 in the time i've had it and a few hundred through my m&p compact to make sure they're both completely reliable with the loads I've carried at any given time. It helps give you peace of mind. you don't want to find out your gun is picky on longer 147's at the wrong time.

556ready

Mar 5, 2012
    AAco
    My M&P 9c shoots anything I put in her. Keep Speer Gold Dot on hand for HD but I'd grab the 870 in a HD situation, anyway...

cryptoman

Dec 27, 2011
    My M&P shoots any target ammo I put in it (I do not use steel case ammo, however). For self defense recommend:

Standard Pressure Self Defense Round: Federal Hi-Shok 115 grain JHP 9bp
    +P Self Defense Round: Cor-Bon 9mm 115 grain +P Jacketed Hollowpoint

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    your not really suppose to fire the +p or +p+ out of the M&P's are you? i know it says about only shooting ammo with SAAMI ratings, so i suppose the +p would be fine, but not +p+ since there is no known SAAMI rating that i know of

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom