• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Seems we have a decent amount of P365 owners here.
    I am currently going to install M CARBO triggers on my 365 and 320. During my search, I took a look at the striker assembly and think I will replace stock one with theirs. Mainly because the stock housing sleeve is plastic.
    Fast forward to 8:20 for the housing sleeve explanation.

Anyway, take a look at the video. It might change your mind.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    This guy makes me want to buy a p365 just so I can buy his expensive-ass striker. He is 'murica AF

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    A couple things from a design standpoint would worry me. First is that Titanium grade/alloys and the heat treatment is difficult to get right, and in this case the material has both a need for high abrasion resistance acting as the sear, and needs high toughness as a firing pin. It has a habit of chipping, and piercing primers or cracking and in some cases with AR15 Ti pins it cracks or galls and gets stuck in "full auto mag dump" position. Steel, even sintered MIM 17-4 is MUCH harder, and can be tougher than titanium.
    Then there is the stainless guide, this is typically plastic to add some self lubrication, and in this case good chance it could gall the titanium and actually make it stick. There is a reason GLOCK and Sig use this material and design, and the current design has no issues with loosing back plates, so it seeks to solve a problem that doesn't really exist. The waffle pattern in the original part is both to lighten it and shed fouling or dirt/sand, the flutes should do something similar, but greater chance of sand or dirt jamming it up, the only way it would get any sort of heavy fouling is from peirced primers. or crap ammo. I do have some of their stuff for Kel-tec, but I would skip this, especially on a defensive pistol.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    A couple things from a design standpoint would worry me. First is that Titanium grade/alloys and the heat treatment is difficult to get right, and in this case the material has both a need for high abrasion resistance acting as the sear, and needs high toughness as a firing pin. It has a habit of chipping, and piercing primers or cracking and in some cases with AR15 Ti pins it cracks or galls and gets stuck in "full auto mag dump" position.
    Then there is the stainless guide, this is typically plastic to add some self lubrication, and in this case good chance it could gall the titanium and actually make it stick. The waffle pattern in the original part is both to lighten and shed fouling, the flutes should do something similar, but greater chance of sand or dirt jamming it up, the only way it would get any sort of heavy fouling is from peirced primers. or crap ammo. I do have some of their stuff for Kel-tec, but I would skip this, especially on a defensive pistol.
    Maybe you should e mail them your design and engineering concerns. See what they say.

Actually, I will be there tomorrow picking my triggers up. I'll show them your post and see what they have to say.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Maybe you should e mail them your design and engineering concerns. See what they say.

Actually, I will be there tomorrow picking my triggers up. I'll show them your post and see what they have to say.
    that would be awesome, keep me posted. The big thing in running a titanium striker is that the sear is engaging titanium, and good chance of it wearing quickly or galling against the steel sear. That is just a bad idea, although not sure if they are running a steel insert or something else to deal with that. I would also be concerned as the safety plunger in a 365 contacts a very small tab on the side of the striker, so the chance of that getting sheared and rendering the safety inoperable is a lot higher on Ti than with a steel or MIM part. Then there is the lighter striker spring, usually not a great idea in a defensive pistol, but can be OK for competition or range use.
    My background as far as engineering goes is automotive, so there are some differences, but I do have a GLOCK armorer's cert, and this has been an issue in some aftermarket Ti strikers on that platform as well. Most dealt with the hardness issue with hard TiN coatings, but many still have issues especially if the coating wears.

Last edited:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    that would be awesome, keep me posted. The big thing in running a titanium striker is that the sear is engaging titanium, and good chance of it wearing quickly or galling against the steel sear. That is just a bad idea, although not sure if they are running a steel insert or something else to deal with that. I would also be concerned as the safety plunger in a 365 contacts a very small tab on the side of the striker, so the chance of that getting sheared and rendering the safety inoperable is a lot higher on Ti than with a steel or MIM part. Then there is the lighter striker spring, usually not a great idea in a defensive pistol, but can be OK for competition or range use.
    My background as far as engineering goes is automotive, so there are some differences, but I do have a GLOCK armorer's cert, and this has been an issue in some aftermarket Ti strikers on that platform as well. Most dealt with the hardness issue with hard TiN coatings, but many still have issues especially if the coating wears.

So you were an automotive engineer?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Just left M Carbo. Damn those people are great. Their gunsmith work timeframe is June.
    Looks like I'll have a needs on my hands putting the flat trigger and sear spring in. Oh well, I have time.

No engineers were available. So for now, I'm going with Alucard is wrong with his assessment of the titanium striker assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom