• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Well, for years I've known she was bound to leave me sooner or later.

Wife tells me "that thing" running in the basement "doesn't sound right". Sure enough, she who sees and hears all leads me to discover that the tumbler had walked across the floor and butted up against a chair, running away with media spilled all over creation. Cause.....one very cracked and split bowl.

So I put a Lyman 1200 into service in its place that I had bought and stashed away as a backup during a super sale that Cabelas had, now some 3 years ago.

Ok, off to order another 600 bowl. The bowl on the new 1200 is MAYBE 1/3 the thickness of the original 600 bowl. But just the same, it seems fitting to buy the old gal a new (if nowadays lesser made) bowl. She's got a LOT of hard miles on her, but she ain't done yet. And she ain't done till she's done!

Why???

Because this Lyman 600 was purchased, as best I can recall.....no ********...in 1982!! I MAY be a year off, but no more. It's been in continuous use ever since! Come to think of it, it's without a doubt the oldest still working "appliance" in the whole house!

Yeah, my old girl gets a new bowl! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      65.9 KB · Views: 102

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    By the looks of the inside of the bowl, you ain't shitting about its age. Hopefully the new bowl will last half as long as the old one, but don't hold your breath.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    My first Lyman Turbo 1200 was bought in '82.

Just like a Timex.

Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

I modified my 1200 by putting an on/off switch in it. (Miniture toggle switch.)
    Wound up doing that for several guys at the SCSC.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    My first Lyman Turbo 1200 was bought in '82.

Just like a Timex.

Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

I modified my 1200 by putting an on/off switch in it. (Miniture toggle switch.)
    Wound up doing that for several guys at the SCSC.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hard to believe the thing still runs! Maybe they were that good at the time??? No idea what kind of motor they put in that tumbler, but I'm going to order a bowl from Midway and then run her till she stops. It's downright comical when I think about what's been run through that Lyman. Thinking it may just outlast me!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Hard to believe the thing still runs! Maybe they were that good at the time??? No idea what kind of motor they put in that tumbler, but I'm going to order a bowl from Midway and then run her till she stops. It's downright comical when I think about what's been run through that Lyman. Thinking it may just outlast me!

Indeed!

I've let a 'full load' of brass, no matter what caliber, run 24 hours +/- many times.

This old 1200 has been a workhorse.

I'm not certain, but, I'll bet that the only difference between the 600 and the 1200 is the bowl. (It wouldn't surprise me, one bit.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom