• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have one and I love it. Get some extra action/buffer springs from LWRC or get some superior shooting solutions flaw wire springs for spares (this is what I did). No need to clip the spring it works on the UCIW shorter buffer.

Heavy Buffers now makes Heavy Buffers for it if that's your thing.

A Syrac Ordnance or SLR Rifleworks Adjustable Detent Gas Block really makes these things work sweet together for a D.I. setup.

FYI if you use a 9mm conversion the stock UCIW buffer wont be heavy enough and its too short. too much bolt travel on a 9mm AR and you break the bolt catch.

You can use a regular carbine 9mm or heavy buffer for a 9mm setup and get sufficient bolt travel with a flat wire spring. Heavy Buffers is also working on a 9mm H Buffer for the UCIW.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    FWIW, it on my host 9mm AR15 SBR mostly. Its a 4.5" Barrel and a UCIW stock.

I also use it on my 13.75" 5.56 with a SLR Gas Block.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Thanks for the info! I'd been tossing around the idea of the NEA compact stock, but there are a few things about it which have been holding me back like price, the proprietary carrier/buffer and the issues that may cause with trouble-shooting with buffer/springs, having a much more complicated field-striping process due to the carrier/buffer, etc.

The UCIW seems like a better option.

I just checked out Syrac and SLR... Very slick! I take it they are worth the premium if you are recommending them. :D

Do you have a 14.5" LW barrel you would recommend?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    There you go having me spend the money I'd save over the NEA stock. :D

Should have funds together to start acquiring next week.

Its a wise reason to save ;) The SLR GB also makes is easy to adjust gas when adding a suppressor.

Be aware of the access you need when choosing a rail. a long ball tipped allen tool will reach the adjuster easy. They sell them on the SLR site.

I attached mine to the rail so its always there. I also have a range rod on the rail as well to clear stuck casings.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I have a factory UCIW. The buffer that comes in the kit is a little more polished than their original ones. Below are some pics comparing standard buffer and receiver extensions to the ones used on the UCIW. Please note that LWRCI has since polished the UCIW stock combo and that's what you'll get when you order it from them. Compared are also the size of a VLTOR IMOD to LWRCI compact stock and LWRCI compact vs. ultra-compact stocks.

Attachments

• DSC_7441.jpg
      DSC_7441.jpg
      71.5 KB · Views: 6,641
    • DSC_7446.jpg
      DSC_7446.jpg
      63.8 KB · Views: 2,635
    • StockComparison.jpg
      StockComparison.jpg
      80.3 KB · Views: 3,400
    • DSC_0118.jpg
      DSC_0118.jpg
      90.9 KB · Views: 2,846
    • DSC_7447.jpg
      DSC_7447.jpg
      62.8 KB · Views: 2,571

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Its a wise reason to save ;) The SLR GB also makes is easy to adjust gas when adding a suppressor.

Be aware of the access you need when choosing a rail. a long ball tipped allen tool will reach the adjuster easy. They sell them on the SLR site.

I attached mine to the rail so its always there. I also have a range rod on the rail as well to clear stuck casings.

Thanks for all the info... do you have pics of the allen tool/range rod rail setup? Sounds pretty slick.

I have a factory UCIW. The buffer that comes in the kit is a little more polished than their original ones. Below are some pics comparing standard buffer and receiver extensions to the ones used on the UCIW. Please note that LWRCI has since polished the UCIW stock combo and that's what you'll get when you order it from them. Compared are also the size of a VLTOR IMOD to LWRCI compact stock and LWRCI compact vs. ultra-compact stocks.

Epic pics... totally what I was looking for! :thumbsup:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    SBR for the 13.75"? or what muzzle device are you using for it otherwise?

One of the uppers is a Noveske 13.75" Mid Gas with a YHM Q.D. Mount. Yes, I have 2 AR lowers that are SBR (Form 1).

I don't use Brakes anymore as they are just too darn loud for practical use IMO.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Ahh. I've been pondering a 13.7" with pinned B.E. Meyers 249F and was curious if you had that setup and if so how you liked it.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    It isbon their main site but the ad "scrolls" so you have to wait for it to appear.
    IIRC, the code for use at chexkout is icdaddy2014

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    So my LW compact non-sbr build is turning into a LW compact KISS SHTF Buy Once Cry Once non-sbr build... Parts list:

Spikes lower
    Spikes upper
    LWRCI UCIW stock
    BCM LW 14.5" barrel
    SLR Sentry 6 adjustable gas block
    MI Lightweight M-Lok 12" handguard
    YHM QD flash hider
    SSS QD brake shield
    WMD NiB BCG
    BCM Mod 3 pistol grip
    BCM CH Mod 3

Trigger TBD
    Optic TBD (intrigued by the Holosun HS403C)

Anyone want to by a kidney?

:D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So my LW compact non-sbr build is turning into a LW compact KISS SHTF Buy Once Cry Once non-sbr build... Parts list:

Spikes lower
    Spikes upper
    LWRCI UCIW stock
    BCM LW 14.5" barrel
    SLR Sentry 6 adjustable gas block
    MI Lightweight M-Lok 12" handguard
    YHM QD flash hider
    SSS QD brake shield
    WMD NiB BCG
    BCM Mod 3 pistol grip
    BCM CH Mod 3

Trigger TBD
    Optic TBD (intrigued by the Holosun HS403C)

Anyone want to by a kidney?

:D

NICE!

I would go with a SSA-E Trigger.

BArrel choice is great too. An alternative is a Ranier SS 13.7" barrel with a YHM 6.62 Q.D. mount threaded to 1/2-28. Its not a listed mount but they make it. That combo pinned and welded is 16.1". The 7.62 Shield Mount is an option too.

The 3.7" barrel just looks more compact with a 12.5" rail.

Either way its a sweet build.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Chad. I always thought that the longer spring helped contribute to a more reliable rifle. Also, won't a longer spring with more coils provide a smoother feeling rifle?

I've never shot an AR with one of these compact kits but from what I've shot, I can tell a difference between a rifle extension or an A5 extension versus a carbine extension. On a 16" mid, the rifle and A5 felt smoother and softer if that makes any sense.

So, do these ultra compact springs/buffers sharpen the recoil impulse and/or decrease reliability? I'd like to put one on a 14.5" mid-length but I don't want to sacrifice reliability and or an already very soft shooting rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom