Votes: 8 33.3%
    • Other (or you dont need either!)

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Want a very light, packable, traveling companion kind of handgun in .22 for a variety of out of Maryland expeditions. I have "heavies" that fill the larger caliber role.

Which would you go with?

Ruger 22/45 Lite (the talo version in black, not the pimping gold anodized version). Its about 23 oz and holds 10rds. Pros seem to be its a ruger, its semi. Cons are complex mechanism, pain in the but dissasembly (if you ever had to do it in the field). Overall solid reliable and accurate. I have a Mk III and its a solid gun but heavy! http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2934649/posts

S&W 317 its a revolver what can go wrong? Its S&W. Weight is a powerful 12 oz, not enough to pistol whip somone but handy. Cons its alloy, it only has a 3" barrel, is not as accurate as the 22/45 and more expensive.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I checked out a brand new 22/45 Lite at my LGS a few days ago. From various distances and viewing angles, the finish looked dull silver to me. The large garish text was also absent. I'm not aware of Ruger releasing a new version, though.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I voted for the Ruger because I have one (not the Talo). I know revolvers are more "reliable", but the Ruger MK series guns are proven and are just as tough as any other wheel gun. My opinion only.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

To heavy, weight is a factor here. I have other .22 guns with conventional materials.

Though it is interesting, the weight of the Sig 226 with the .22 upper is about the same as the Ruger. I would have expected it to be more (I have one of these already).

ifindppl

Sep 13, 2012
    Montgomery County
    I have the 22/45 and also love it. I may have gone for the Smith, which gets my vote here - but it cost almost as much as its' big brother, the 686. I really liked the Smith but could not justify the cost. That being said, the Smith is a fine pistol.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    If you want more bang for your buck...I would chose the Ruger Single Hunter; which I happen to own an cherish alot. Besides a six round, 22 LR cylinder --- it comes with an extra, six shot 22 mag cylinder. The stainless steel single action revolver, comes with 1" stainless steel scope rings. Its an accurate shooter, but it does have a tendency to spit.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Smith 351 C or 351 PD in .22 WMR?

Attachments

• 100_0198.jpg
      100_0198.jpg
      90 KB · Views: 125

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Smith 351 C or 351 PD in .22 WMR?

I like that but am looking for a little more barrel. Shame that no one is making a good lightweight .22 (or even somethign like a 32 H&R) for mild carry with a 4" barrel.

Weight is a factor here, some of the heavier selections are great, but then I would just carry something I already have.

wasntme

Jun 10, 2012
    Ruger 22/45 is a decent pistol. But have you looked into building your own? Check out tactical solutions barrells and volquartsen lowers, you can build a super light tack driver for around $600-800 depending on options.

I just built this one:
    IMG_1210.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ruger 22/45 is a decent pistol. But have you looked into building your own? Check out tactical solutions barrells and volquartsen lowers, you can build a super light tack driver for around $600-800 depending on options.

I just built this one:
    IMG_1210.jpg

I thought about that. After handling a lite, I am really leaning towards the S&W. I expected the Ruger to be lighter than it was.

cb51

I've had a S&W 317 since 1998. It's been a super reliable gun and shoots anything you can get into the chambers. All the reliabiltiy of the revolver with good accuracy for such a small gun. It's the three inch version with the blued front sight. Of course with such a light weight gun, you have to be very careful of your trigger pull. I've found a light weight gun like this will magnify any shooting bad habits.

The double actionis a little on the heavy side, typical for a S&W J frame, but the single action breaks clean as the preverbal glass rod. It took about 500 to 1000 rounds to really break in nice, with a bit of gun oil dripped in now and then.

I am very prejudiced toward wheel guns in general. I grew up shooting revolvers, and though I've had autos, I had enough malfunctions to cement my love of the wheel gun. I've used this little 317 as a travel gun and woods carry gun on day hikes and just woods rambling with the better half. Great little revolver, never a malfunction in 13 years of shooting.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    How small do you want it to be? Ruger makes their LCR pocket revolver in 22. I've never shot it, I have no idea how the trigger is or if it's even accurate. Ruger's website says it's 14.9oz

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I've had a S&W 317 since 1998. It's been a super reliable gun and shoots anything you can get into the chambers. All the reliabiltiy of the revolver with good accuracy for such a small gun. It's the three inch version with the blued front sight. Of course with such a light weight gun, you have to be very careful of your trigger pull. I've found a light weight gun like this will magnify any shooting bad habits.

The double actionis a little on the heavy side, typical for a S&W J frame, but the single action breaks clean as the preverbal glass rod. It took about 500 to 1000 rounds to really break in nice, with a bit of gun oil dripped in now and then.

I am very prejudiced toward wheel guns in general. I grew up shooting revolvers, and though I've had autos, I had enough malfunctions to cement my love of the wheel gun. I've used this little 317 as a travel gun and woods carry gun on day hikes and just woods rambling with the better half. Great little revolver, never a malfunction in 13 years of shooting.

How well has it held up, sounds like you put some serious rounds through it. Obviously I am looking for a gun for a use and I have several other .22 pistols (Sig 226, Ruger Mk III, H&R 999) for my higher volume shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom