• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    If I want to add an LVPO to a flat-top AR with an A2 front sight, do I need a riser or will the front sight "disappear?"
    If a riser is advisable, how tall does it need to be?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If I want to add an LVPO to a flat-top AR with an A2 front sight, do I need a riser or will the front sight "disappear?"
    If a riser is advisable, how tall does it need to be?
    I had a red dot on an AR with the same setup - I never really noticed the front sight and I'd tend to think that it would be a non-issue.

If you're going to mount an LPVO on an AR, you're going to want a mount that brings it up off of the flat top a bit anyway.

I have two ARs with LPVOs on them, and the one with the taller scope mount is actually better because it falls in the line of sight much easier when the rifle is on the shoulder. I have this mount (yes, I realize it's super cheap and not something I should bet my life on, but it works well enough for now) and it's almost the perfect height, even though it seems a bit tall to look at it.

Amazon product ASIN B07G2SM28N

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Both responses are great. The high mount is inexpensive and worth the risk of trying out and if I don't like it, I can try something lower and hopefully the front post will blur out.

I have an old BSA red dot. I tried it out and it was useless. By the time I started getting it dialed in approaching the center of the target, the dot was well onto the triangular support of the front sight. It needs a riser or something.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I had a red dot on an AR with the same setup - I never really noticed the front sight and I'd tend to think that it would be a non-issue.

If you're going to mount an LPVO on an AR, you're going to want a mount that brings it up off of the flat top a bit anyway.

I have two ARs with LPVOs on them, and the one with the taller scope mount is actually better because it falls in the line of sight much easier when the rifle is on the shoulder. I have this mount (yes, I realize it's super cheap and not something I should bet my life on, but it works well enough for now) and it's almost the perfect height, even though it seems a bit tall to look at it.

Amazon product ASIN B07G2SM28N
    That's about the right height. It leaves just enough room for a BUIS incase your scope sh!ts the bed.

1000000780.jpg

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    That's about the right height. It leaves just enough room for a BUIS incase your scope sh!ts the bed.

View attachment 432565

This configuration is what I ended up doing. PA 1-6x ACSS. I used the Mostrum mount that @trickg linked upthread. In the future, I'll upgrade to some sort of QD mount so that I can utilize my backup irons.

The PA 1-6x ACSS just arrived yesterday. This thing is pretty bouji for an entry level optic. Spare battery stored in the windage knob cap! I got no such love while serving in the Navy so this will take some familiarization time. As you all stated, the front iron is only visible at low power and even then, it's not a problem. I do need to use a laser bore sighter before I take it out though.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This configuration is what I ended up doing. PA 1-6x ACSS. I used the Mostrum mount that @trickg linked upthread. In the future, I'll upgrade to some sort of QD mount so that I can utilize my backup irons.

The PA 1-6x ACSS just arrived yesterday. This thing is pretty bouji for an entry level optic. Spare battery stored in the windage knob cap! I got no such love while serving in the Navy so this will take some familiarization time. As you all stated, the front iron is only visible at low power and even then, it's not a problem. I do need to use a laser bore sighter before I take it out though.
    If you have a range to zero your gun on, I just visually bore sight with my naked eye. That usually gets me on paper at 50 yards. Then I zero from there. Never a need for a laser bore sighter.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    If you have a range to zero your gun on, I just visually bore sight with my naked eye. That usually gets me on paper at 50 yards. Then I zero from there. Never a need for a laser bore sighter.
    People overlook bore-sighting way too much. I laugh anytime I see someone pull out one of those fancy bore lasers (they legitimately have a different POI every single time you chamber them).

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    People overlook bore-sighting way too much. I laugh anytime I see someone pull out one of those fancy bore lasers (they legitimately have a different POI every single time you chamber them).
    I will take off the upper, remove the BCG, and look at a target about 100yds away through the barrel. Then without touching the upper look through the scope. If they are close I'll start putting shots on target at 50. If it is off I'll adjust until the image through the barrel matches the scope somewhat. This will get you on paper then just sight in as normal. Easier and cheaper than a laser bore sight, which I have never used.

I thought the normal scope ring height for the AR was 1.5"? Most 1 piece scope mounts for the AR are this height. I'd ditch the A2 front sight though. Also a QD mount is preferable if you are running BUIS, otherwise it's not going to help you if you need them and don't have a tool handy.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I will take off the upper, remove the BCG, and look at a target about 100yds away through the barrel. Then without touching the upper look through the scope. If they are close I'll start putting shots on target at 50. If it is off I'll adjust until the image through the barrel matches the scope somewhat. This will get you on paper then just sight in as normal. Easier and cheaper than a laser bore sight, which I have never used.
    That's how it's done!

If my first shots miss the target, I go to aiming/shooting each corner of the target. That usually gets me on paper and I can adjust from there.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I'd ditch the A2 front sight though.
    It ain't coming off. It's also the fixed gas block.
    I'm borrowing the laser bore sight. I'm just using it to get me close and save a little ammunition.
    Yes, a QD mount is in my future. This was an inexpensive mount to get me running until I find what I like.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It ain't coming off. It's also the fixed gas block.
    I'm borrowing the laser bore sight. I'm just using it to get me close and save a little ammunition.
    Yes, a QD mount is in my future. This was an inexpensive mount to get me running until I find what I like.
    Ain't coming off? Does that mean you don't want it off, or you tried and couldn't remove it?

I'm good either way, just curious.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Ain't coming off? Does that mean you don't want it off, or you tried and couldn't remove it?

I'm good either way, just curious.
    Actually, I did remove it because the barrel nut wrench was the closed variety and it wouldn't fit over the A2 sight when I assembled the rifle. The sight and the gas block are one piece. I'd have to buy another gas block (I guess?) without the sight.

But I also don't want it off. I ordered this barrel for a reason. Personal preference.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Actually, I did remove it because the barrel nut wrench was the closed variety and it wouldn't fit over the A2 sight when I assembled the rifle. The sight and the gas block are one piece. I'd have to buy another gas block (I guess?) without the sight.

But I also don't want it off. I ordered this barrel for a reason. Personal preference.
    :thumbsup:

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC

You can cut the sight off and Dremel down the block to be smooth. Works well on pinned blocks people don't want to remove. Or just spend ten bucks on another gas block.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Ok, your post intrigued me. For the learning experience, I did this last night. I pulled the upper off and clamped it in a gun vise and sighted down the bore, then looked through the scope and made adjustments. I just used an imperfection in the drywall as my target. Elevation was way high but windage was very close.

I'm still borrowing the bore laser today (it's not like it's costing me anything) and I'll see how far off I am. The bore laser I'm borrowing is not a snap-cap with a laser that you chamber. It screws into the muzzle. All you have to do to verify that it's true, is rotate the laser in the muzzle and watch the target. If the laser traces a circle, it's not properly aligned. The dot should remain stationary while spinning the laser.

giphy.gif

The high power range I use is closed for repairs so I've got nothing but time on my hands to tinker with this.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ok, your post intrigued me. For the learning experience, I did this last night. I pulled the upper off and clamped it in a gun vise and sighted down the bore, then looked through the scope and made adjustments. I just used an imperfection in the drywall as my target. Elevation was way high but windage was very close.

I'm still borrowing the bore laser today (it's not like it's costing me anything) and I'll see how far off I am. The bore laser I'm borrowing is not a snap-cap with a laser that you chamber. It screws into the muzzle. All you have to do to verify that it's true, is rotate the laser in the muzzle and watch the target. If the laser traces a circle, it's not properly aligned. The dot should remain stationary while spinning the laser.

giphy.gif

The high power range I use is closed for repairs so I've got nothing but time on my hands to tinker with this.
    You need to do this with some form of target(a door know across the street, etc) at at least 50 yards distant for this to work best.
    You are 'shooting' for a 50 yard zero, not a 5' zero.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    You need to do this with some form of target(a door know across the street, etc) at at least 50 yards distant for this to work best.
    You are 'shooting' for a 50 yard zero, not a 5' zero.
    I might be able to sit in my garage and use a tree in my yard or put a vehicle at the end of the driveway as a target. I'm not pointing anything at a neighbor's house.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I might be able to sit in my garage and use a tree in my yard or put a vehicle at the end of the driveway as a target. I'm not pointing anything at a neighbor's house.
    Whatever works. I'm not saying sit on your front porch and aim your gun at your neighbor's house. Lol
    Even though you are pointing a hollow tube at something, be smart about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom