• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackalope

Went to the range today with my buddy Derek who is fresh back from Afghanistan, I took my Luger and he brought his .22, 9mm, .40 and .45 Sig's. All of em looked the same sitting on the table except my Luger. ;) I started and fired off a mag from my Luger and then Derek followed up with his .22, his .22 couldn't go 2 rounds without jamming so he retired it back to its case. Next up he tried his 9mm and again 2 rounds and it jammed, he cleared it took aim and fired and then it jammed again. I then went thru 2 more mag's with my Luger, Derek then took the Luger and ran 2 more mag's thru it. Next up he grabbed his .40 and it fired just fine and he followed it up with the .45 and it was fine too. So we had 3 out of 5 guns working, my 99 year old Luger and 2 of his brand new Sigs. It was turn to try his .40 and he handed me a full mag and I loaded it, chambered a round and squeezed the trigger, and squeezed and squeezed I let off and asked him WTF he said keep pulling so I turned back around and squeezed what felt like a good inch worth of trigger pull before it fired. So I finished that mag and turned to him and asked what was with the mile long trigger pull and he said thats how Sigs are. Next I tried his .45 and the same mile long trigger pull.

As we shot more and more rounds I found out a few things, first I do not like the trigger pull on the Sigs as its rediculously long! I didn't measure it but if wasn't at least a full inch I'd be surprised, hell I wouldn't be surprised if it were longer. NOT a fan of that Trigger thats for sure! Secondly I couldn't believe that my damn near 100 year old Luger was out shooting his brand new Sigs. I thought my Luger shot high to the left but today she was firing dead straight and level where his sigs were both shooting low and we shot at 25, 50 and 75 feet and it seemed the futher out with the Sigs the lower the rounds would drop where as my Luger stayed dead level all the way out the 75 feet. Now I am no expert by any means and perhaps it was due to the different calibers but again I was not impressed with his Sigs.

Now I know there are MANY Sig fans out there and I'm sure they'll have a different opinion but I gotta tell you (and not trying to offend anyone here) but my 99 year old train wreck of a Luger SMOKED those new Sigs! In terms of trigger pull, balance, feel and accuracy those Sigs couldn't hold a candle to the Luger.

Now I just need to find a .45 that handles like my 9mm Luger and I'm buying it. Any recommendations, and don't say Sig! LOL!:lol2:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I didn't measure it but if wasn't at least a full inch I'd be surprised, hell I wouldn't be surprised if it were longer.

Sorry, Id say impossible on that unless you're talking travel AFTER fire but then even doubtful.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It just FELT a mile long, my HK USP has the same feel, long take-up and reset. Nature of the beast with some guns. :)

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    It just FELT a mile long, my HK USP has the same feel, long take-up and reset. Nature of the beast with some guns. :)

You need to install a Match or Light-LEM trigger. V1 HK triggers are atrocious, IMO.

To the OP - the SIG pistols with the SRT upgrade are not bad. DA/SA triggers typically suck. I would prefer a smooth/consistent DA only or SA only over a combo, hands down. Jack of 2 trades, master of none (although sometimes trigger upgrades either from the factory, aftermarket or by a gunsmith can help, obviously...) ;)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    My Luger oushoots about everything I have. Between solid balance and natural pointing, the differences in accuracy due to barrels for most shooters will be small.

Love em,

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    The toggle action also enhances accuracy as you don't ave the moving mass of a slide. Across the board an awesome design.

I have worked on a fired a few Lugers. They are indeed beautiful weapons, of a bygone era. There aren't many handguns I would consider "elegant" but the P.08 is definitely one.

I loved working on cleaning up Nazi-marked ones. Anything from WWII that is still in good working order is really cool. You always wonder what those pistols were used for, who carried them, who may have brought it back as a war trophy, etc.

To the OP: I'm glad it worked. And if you didn't know, there's at least one .45 ACP Luger pistol that was developed to be tested by the U.S. military. Although it's going to cost you over a million dollars and you probably wouldn't want to risk shooting it... ;)

It's very cool that that pistol stayed in your family. So far I have no guns that have been handed down from anyone. My dad's mother gave away/sold my great grand-father's guns. He grew up in Colorado in the late 1800s... I could only wonder what was given away. :(

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You need to install a Match or Light-LEM trigger. V1 HK triggers are atrocious, IMO.

To the OP - the SIG pistols with the SRT upgrade are not bad. DA/SA triggers typically suck. I would prefer a smooth/consistent DA only or SA only over a combo, hands down. Jack of 2 trades, master of none (although sometimes trigger upgrades either from the factory, aftermarket or by a gunsmith can help, obviously...) ;)

I do have the Match in mine. ;)

And it's still got a fair amount of pre-travel and reset length to it.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    That's it, MARSOC should move to ceracoated Lugers! Personally in this day and age I feel they are a novelty item like my Remington Rand.

Sig Fan here! Screw all you haters! ;)

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I do have the Match in mine. ;)

And it's still got a fair amount of pre-travel and reset length to it.

Hm, I've only done a few of the Match triggers, I thought it was an improvement but it's been a while.

For me there's only one decent HK trigger and that's the Light-LEM. It is pretty close to the feel of a Glock IMO. Nice, 5ish-lb break, short reset. Plus you get a second strike which doesn't hurt.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The Match is better than the standard, for sure.

I've got mine adjusted for zero-overtravel, weight's around 4.5 to 5, but compared to my M&P with some apex parts, initial takeup and reset are looonnnggg.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Lugers are nice, but if you're not shooting well with a sig, it's not the gun(unless it was one of those 250's). If you were shooting a 226, 220 or something along those lines, the gun was capable of more than what you were getting from it. Which guns were they...instead of a "sig 9" or "a 40", we'd have more of an understanding of what you're trying to get at if you names which guns you were experiencing. As far as shooting low...which hold were you using? 6-oclock? It's likely just the difference in sights and again...user error. Were you shooting the sig in da or sa? Was it one of the terrrrrrrble doa triggers? "mile long trigger pull" is not how sigs are.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The Germans are the worlds finest toy makers.

p99-groups-at-30-ft.jpg
    agreed. It's cool to see an entire country taking pride in the quality of what comes out. It's nice to see those german proof markings on guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom