• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    So I have finally acquired myself a nice Uberti Single Action. I figured to keep things simple (and cost down) I would just use lead bullets for re-loading (.45 colt). I am just curious if it is necessary to lube the bullets before reloading? I have read a few placed a product calls Alox is used, but I have no idea what that is or if it is necessary... THe only lube I use is Hornady one-shot with my regular stuff.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

A_J

Active Duty
    Feb 17, 2009
    Are you going to purchase bullets or cast your own?

Many of the commercial lead bullets are prelubed when you get them; home cast will require a lube. The type you choose is dictated by the lubricating method and bullet style.

Bullet casters seem to be a thrifty lot, and plenty of folks have found rather effective ways to lubricate the lead projectiles. One product I use is good old fashioned paste wax. It's simply carnauba wax and pine turpentine - you can find it at traditional hardware stores. The name brand is Landmark and the packaging looks like it hasn't changed since the 1940s.

theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    ahh ok. I will being buying my own. My bench is in the basement and there isn't very good ventilation so casting my own is out of the question.

THANKS!:party29:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Unless you special order them unlubed and unsized, all commercial cast bullets will come lubed. Unless special ordered otherwise they usuall come with a hard crayon looking lube. Virtually any will be quite adaquite for all .45LC loads of quasi normal pressures using smokless.

If loading BP , you need to order bullets w/ BP Lube, almost always SPG brand.

Welcome to handloading, 45 Colt is well suited for reloading

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    They will come lubed if you buy them from any commercial manufacturer unless stated otherwise.
    I buy mine lubed.
    Then just for the fun of it I coat them with Lee Liquid Alox.
    A little of this goes a long way. It's a thick liquid in a plastic bottle.
    I heat some water in a bowl and set the bottle of alox in it to warm up. Dump 500 bullets in a plastic tub and dribble alox over them and rotate the tub till they are all covered.
    Let them dry overnight on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper. Do this outside or in the garage as it smells.
    The alox hardens into a brown varnish that lubricates as well as cuts down on leading.

theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    haha thanks guys :thumbsup: I appreciate the help.

I've been reloading now for a few years and just decided to work with lead so I needed all the help I could get!

Thanks again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom