• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    are some lower parts kits better than others?

i'd like to build a nice premium lower with an engage armament lower and was just wondering if some parts kits are better than others?

right now i have a psa lpk.

thanks in advance.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    Thanks for starting this thread. I, too, am interested in the differences of LPK's and if there are some good buys out there.

I'd love to buy high quality parts like a Geissele trigger, but I don't have that kinda cash for this project. I'm looking for high quality, but at a good price. Great value.

Thanks.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    I've used one PSA lpk and and a few CMMG lpk's; both were good to go for me. I did stone the trigger and hammer to smooth them up abit. One thing I liked about the CMMG Kit's are the different parts groups are in different colored bags: for me that makes it easier not to mix the springs up.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Here....You can thank me later. I promise you that you will not find a better trigger for less than $100 let alone less than $50. The ALG QMS trigger is very nice for only costing $45. At the price of the LPK I am linking, you are pretty much getting the rest of the parts for $20.

To answer your question. Besides the trigger, all of the parts are pretty much the same no matter who manufactured them.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ts/palmetto-state-armory-classic-qms-lpk.html

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Here....You can thank me later. I promise you that you will not find a better trigger for less than $100 let alone less than $50. The ALG QMS trigger is very nice for only costing $45. At the price of the LPK I am linking, you are pretty much getting the rest of the parts for $20.

To answer your question. Besides the trigger, all of the parts are pretty much the same no matter who manufactured them.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ts/palmetto-state-armory-classic-qms-lpk.html

Just installed one of these in an Engage lower this evening (my first attempt at an AR build). Other than minor scratches getting the bolt catch roll pin installed, it went very smoothly. The install of that QMS trigger was cake with the slave pin!

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    I talked to a friend about this same things since I am in ur position with an EA lower. He said unless you get really shitty parts nothing should break. He said to get mil-spec parts. The higher end parts are usually made of Nickel-Boron which is a self lubricating material. I cant go into too much detail since i am not a expert, but he suggested I'd get a lower kit from these guys. I trust his advice since he's built like 10 ARs.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...s/parts-kits/palmetto-state-armory-lpk-e.html

One of the best deals I've ever seen. That trigger retails for $230 alone. Initially when I bought it I thought I'd need to change the grip, but surprisingly the GI grip in the palmetto kit is pretty nice. It's not that thin flimsy plastic like some other kits, it seems to be a thicker, more solid polymer. I have a billet lower so the trigger guard didn't matter to me, but you'll likely wanna change that.

FWIW, I have 4 rifles, all using PSA parts kits. They all do what they are supposed to. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal on a parts kit that you can add an aftermarket trigger, grip, etc to.

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...s/parts-kits/palmetto-state-armory-lpk-e.html

One of the best deals I've ever seen. That trigger retails for $230 alone. Initially when I bought it I thought I'd need to change the grip, but surprisingly the GI grip in the palmetto kit is pretty nice. It's not that thin flimsy plastic like some other kits, it seems to be a thicker, more solid polymer. I have a billet lower so the trigger guard didn't matter to me, but you'll likely wanna change that.

FWIW, I have 4 rifles, all using PSA parts kits. They all do what they are supposed to. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal on a parts kit that you can add an aftermarket trigger, grip, etc to.

I bought 2 of therefor my Engage lowers..... :D
    Like he said best deal given the trigger alone is more than this whole kit. They will be put in the safe for future endeavors. :thumbsup:

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    as far as the small parts, any of the "major-brand" kits will work fine. PSA, CMMG, DPMS, etc. etc.

fire control groups is where it can get iffy. if you just want a "stock" trigger set, i won't be much help. I have ALG in both of my working rifles; wife has a DPMS and while the ALG's are much nicer, hers works fine. The SPR is likely going to a Geissele, as is the SBR billet lower.

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    Spikes and CMMG kits used. If you can wait/find a Spikes Enhanced kit and then get me one too.....:innocent0

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    I typically roll with Spike's. As Armed Ferret implied, for guns that are intended for precision, a higher quality trigger is preferred. I would look to Geissele.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    are some lower parts kits better than others?

i'd like to build a nice premium lower with an engage armament lower and was just wondering if some parts kits are better than others?

right now i have a psa lpk.

thanks in advance.

I've used Spikes and PSA. The PSA kit was much nicer (although the Spikes kit hasn't given me any problems) IMO, YMMV.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Aside from the triggers themselves, a LPK is a LPK to me. That said, I typically use PSA (cost-effective) and a few other makers since they're known to me as being g2g.

PSA
    CMMC
    Stag
    and a few others that don't jump to mind right now.

mrboh138

Mar 12, 2009
    Baltimore

Wow. $67.99.. I just ordered 3.. great find.. thx

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    have a QMS in my M4 build and (currently) an ACT in my SPR (will be replacing with a Geissele eventually). Love 'em both. When I get the g-man upgrade for the SPR, the ACT may end up in the M4 and the QMS on the classifieds.

honestly, there is no better trigger for the AR in the price range than the QMS and ACT. ACT is of course a bit nicer, but it's also 20 bucks more, so if you're on a shoestring, go with the QMS and maybe do a bit of stoning on the mating surfaces if nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom