• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I've assembled a couple of AR lowers in the past using PSA lower parts kits with the EPT trigger. $130ish for all the LPK pieces, Magpul MOE grip, the PSA enhanced polished trigger, buffer tube and stock. I have no issues with the enhanced polished trigger or the Magpul furniture. I don't worry about how pretty it looks. I shoot out in the woods, I lean my rifles against trees, I lay them on the ground. They are a tool to do a job, not a piece of art work.

I'm not fancy, I don't need (nor do I want to pay) for a super nice trigger. My work rifle is a mil-spec Colt, I'm fine with mil-spec triggers. I want dependable and affordable.

I just want some opinions from the knowledge base here, is the PSA lower parts kit a respectable quality item? These are guns for fun, for going out and shooting targets. I want decent quality, but I don't want to spend $2-300 on a LPK for a range gun either. I want a product that won't break and will let me put some lead down range safely and reliably.

If PSA is garbage, can you explain why? What would you consider a decent entry level parts kit?

Appreciate it all! I'm looking to buy a couple Geissele lowers soon and want to build one of them out this fall and go shooting with it.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Biggest issue with parts kit i have come across is parts missing or parts are missing but I have doubles of something else like no front take down pin but 2 rear takedown pin. I have actually started to just order the pins and springs and detentes from Brownells. I hardly use the milspec trigger, safety, or grip/grip screw

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    If they've always worked for you, I don't see any reason to shop around. I have never used PSA LPKs. I like Strike Industry's enhanced LPKs without the FCG. I like better than mil spec triggers, but I keep the cost below $200.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    If you aren’t looking for fancy parts they work great, most issues I see are caused by improper assembly.

I did have one part fail on my AR22 and put thousands and thousands of rounds through it and PSA sent me a replacement no questions asked.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    PSA is entry level and basic, they have spec problems, and occasional burrs or rough machining, but their warranty/service is pretty good. IMO they are the bare basic that actually work, and worth the cost over BCA, or no-name stuff. Triggers and overall build are largely personal preference, needs and budget. Most of mine are built on Aero M4E1 sets, have some boutique builds and budget ones, but I like Aero for the cost/features. I buy Aero or CMMG pin sets and individual parts to keep for builds, as I have a pile of unused parts from back when I got LPKs. I like the Larue MBT2 trigger, for the money it's unbeatable, good 2 stage feel, works for some longer range or fast shooting close, and rugged enough for defensive use. Most all of my AR builds use a Raptor handle, talon selector, Magpul mag button and MOE or K2 grip. After that I use whatever appropriate barrel, BCG, handguard and stock/brace to serve it's purpose.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Any thoughts on the Aero Precision LPK with FCG? This is the slimline version

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-moe-sl-lower-parts-kit

It is selling for $65 right now. Are the Magpul MOE SL Stocks banned in MD?
    Decent kit, not huge on the SL grip, it's really narrow compared to the MOE (kind of the point). No idea why the stocks would be banned in MD, but can say the MOE SL stock is my favorite go-to stock, just fits me, good traction, minimal bulk, good cheekweld, and like the adjustment levers and QD pockets.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Off topic, but its my thread so whatever...

Geissele won't ship lowers to Maryland. They advised that their legal team doesn't want to deal with Maryland, so I'm out of luck. I'm trying to see if my FFL has any partners out of state and maybe it can be shipped by Geissele to an out of state FFL, then that FFL can transfer to my FFL.

I'm annoyed, but I can't say that I blame Geissele. I wouldn't want to deal with the headaches and potential liability of Maryland either...

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Off topic, but its my thread so whatever...

Geissele won't ship lowers to Maryland. They advised that their legal team doesn't want to deal with Maryland, so I'm out of luck. I'm trying to see if my FFL has any partners out of state and maybe it can be shipped by Geissele to an out of state FFL, then that FFL can transfer to my FFL.

I'm annoyed, but I can't say that I blame Geissele. I wouldn't want to deal with the headaches and potential liability of Maryland either...
    What's so special about a Geissele lower?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    From what I understand there are only a few makers of the lower parts, good parts, which are then sold by vendors. Not necessarily top tier but quite serviceable.

Some parts have an ‘S’ molded into the part. This is the maker Schmidt Tool, a USA maker. Good parts. They do sell a smoothed out, NB treated single stage trigger group. (Now the Geisselle fanboys will become aroused and butt hurt, touting their Geisselle enhanced trigger groups as the end all, buy no other). I have 2 of these Schmidt groups in my ARs. AND it is the factory LWRC trigger group in my DI carbine. Sold two AR’s with these triggers in them. Buyers were happy. They work. The smoother pull is vastly superior to the typical single stage trigger supplied on equipped carbines or in most LPK’s. I have trued up a couple milspec triggers but for the cost, I just buy the Schmidt triggers for carbines and save the stones for other guns.

Personal preference, I only use single stage triggers on my carbines. Anything within practical precision range of the 16” carbine I won’t need a two stage trigger. YMMV.

If you do go to an enhanced trigger you will need only the other small parts kits available. Smith & Wesson makes one and so do a couple of others. I go this route then I can buy the grip, stock, and trigger group that meets my needs without having parts left over most others don’t want to buy. Brownells is your shopping place. ID what you like, shop online for heavy discounts or just buy from Brownells.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom