• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Gurrr just bought my first set of 6 arrows and lost three in the field behind my house. Sad part is I actually got the hang of this but had thee bad shots.

They are carbon arrows. Will a metal detector work? I am fairly certain they are burried.

What can I do to prevent this?

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Hit the target. Sorry just messin with ya.

Metal detector has worked in past for me, even with carbons.
    Will still pick up the tip. Probably skimmed the ground and is more then likely farther back then you think.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Hit the target. Sorry just messin with ya.

Metal detector has worked in past for me, even with carbons.
    Will still pick up the tip. Probably skimmed the ground and is more then likely farther back then you think.

I spent an hour checking every where . I am hoping for the buried theory. Its a 55lb recurve and some of the other arrows were nearly buried.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Take two other arrows, hold them point down (field tips work best) and walk back and fourth perpendicular to your line of fire, dragging the tips across the ground, one in each hand a coupe of feet apart.

Start at the target (or furthest point you feel they could have flown) and work back to your shooting point, moving a couple of feet closer to your shooting point each time.

Sooner or later your arrow tip will strike part of the lost arrow(s) and make a clicking sound; you will feel it too.

They likely are not completely buried or are only under the thatch, in which case this method will eventually work.

Failing that, a metal detector may well find your tips if they were metal.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Pink vanes! I know it sounds gay but 2 pink vans and a chartreuse cock . Also flo colored arrow wraps help find them faster. Pink nock too. Worry about manly colors when you can brag about hitting chit......:d

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Well, my friends I shoot trad archery with always say "Never fall in love with your ammo." :D

We shoot wooden arrows so while the metal detector is a fine idea, sometimes a rake can help with finding them too unless they go completely under the dirt.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    I read this tip on another forum. Won't help for ones already shot, but for the future consider getting a roll of reflective tape like Scotchlite, usually can find it in the automotive section at Walmart or other stores. Put small wraps above and below the fletchings. If you lose an arrow, wait until dark and shine a flashlight and the tape will usually show up. There also are reflective arrows wraps available but those are more expensive.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    If its safe to do so use the redneck method. Take off you shoes and socks and walk perpendicular to the shooting lane. It has worked for me many times when I missed the target sighting in at extended distances.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Walk barefoot...you can feel them easier when you step on them, trust me, it works!

....and hitting the target helps..lol!

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    They likely are not completely buried or are only under the thatch, in which case this method will eventually work.
    90%+ of the arrows I temporarily 'lost' when I shot as a kid would be later found parrallel to the ground and just under the height of the grass. Unless the arrow flew into something soft like a pile of mulch or leaves it isn't going to bury itself completely. Even when shooting a haybale head on arrows rarely bury themselves past the nock, so they aren't going to do so with the harder ground.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Well, my friends I shoot trad archery with always say "Never fall in love with your ammo." :D

We shoot wooden arrows so while the metal detector is a fine idea, sometimes a rake can help with finding them too unless they go completely under the dirt.

I made a dozen arrows for traditional in 2010 and have not lost a single one. I use the barefoot method to locate them.

However, all but one of them have broken at least once and I've been splicing them back together with scraps from when I made them as well as pieces of arrows beyond repair.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    I made a dozen arrows for traditional in 2010 and have not lost a single one. I use the barefoot method to locate them.

One guy I shoot with advocates barefoot too, though the range we usually shot at is unsupervised and open to the public. Despite a dozen signs saying "No Broadheads," every once in a while some imbecile does it anyway and you find them in the grass. My friend found out the hard way. If we ever catch anyone doing that again we're shootin them back at their owner.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    Don't feel bad. I've got three arrows I need to find in the grass behind my house. I've mowed and still can't find them. For my next arrows I'm picking bright colors for the vanes...

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Pink vanes! I know it sounds gay but 2 pink vans and a chartreuse cock . Also flo colored arrow wraps help find them faster. Pink nock too. Worry about manly colors when you can brag about hitting chit......:d

Pink vanes are the way to go. If you are in the woods and shoot a deer pink and white vanes make it easy to find your arrow.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    "Luminocks!"

My youngest son tried some 'long distance' shooting with his new carbon-fiber arrows.

He lost two. A good friend found one of them, at the farm where he was shooting.

Now, my youngest son has Luminocks on his arrows.
    Nice little light shining when the arrow is released.

They're nice, but, the lights won't last forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom