• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    Well, today we had to put our loving dog down ( Shepherd/lab mix). We live on a farm and he was our security system, our bear and coyote repellent, our baby sitter for our daughters and the offical porch "holder downer".

He only left our farm 3 times in 13 years. twice for porcupine quills that needed a vets attention and just recently for a misdiagnosed (by me) absessed tooth that was actually jaw cancer.

Since he was such a home body the wife and I flat out refused to have him put down in some unfamiliar vets office. Not to mention he was over 100lbs and he would do whatever it took to NOT get in a vehicle. This would include biting the crap out of you if need be.

It was not easy finding a vet willing to perform this undesireable task at our farm. We called every vet in Garrett and Allegany county.We ended up calling our horse vet and asking him to do the job. Thankfully he understood and agreed to do so. We will miss our "Jeter" pup. He was dearly loved.
    ( yes , he was a Yankee fan...lol)

Jim'sKid

Feb 14, 2013
    Mount Airy
    Very sorry to hear about your loss.There's no better friend than a good dog. You might want to check out Mark Levine's book "Rescuing Sprite." It's a good read.

marquis708

BANNED!!!
    Feb 6, 2013
    MD.
    "They are one of our true friends in life. I mean a real friend. They love you no matter what!

Peace.

ibanez320dx

New guy.
    Jun 2, 2013
    Rosedale
    Sorry to hear that man. I had to put my lab down a few months ago. He was 13. I still expect to see him sometimes when I get home. Hard to forget.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Rainbow Bridge.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Navyblue

May 30, 2013
    Calvert
    Sorry for your loss. The furry friends get to be family members and when they are gone you truly feel the loss as if it were one of your own. My wife and I put our family pooch down two months ago as well. He was a good friend for the twelve years we had him in our home.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    The four footed family members are hard to let go, but it sounds like you all had a good long time together to cherish. Sorry for you loss.

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    I'm sorry for your loss. I had to put down my first dog (that I had since a pup) 3 years ago. It was pretty hard. We immediately got another dog as the house wasn't the same with a 4 legged friend. Even now, if he's at daycare and I'm home, the house feels weird to me.

If you are looking for another dog, I'd definitely recommend adopting. There are tons of organizations out there. I volunteer with one that is based out of DC. But I'm sure there are some closer to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom