• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    In case not everyone has seen it, interesting reality show with one of the "experts" who appears on Pawn Stars has a spin of show where they travel and set up Auctions. Like the Road Show for collectable firearms and weapons.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    "Some" of the firearms are interesting, however most are not all that uncommon. The "auction" they hold has got to be BS, a HK MP5SD isnt going to go for $23.5K in a room of 20 people. All in all it was interesting at first, but losing some of it's appeal.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    I watched exactly 1 episode. My initial impression...

Stereotypical "gun nuts" hosting the show.
    They've got their own people as part of the bidding pool.

Joe Blow

Joe Blow
    Feb 2, 2012
    Southern MD
    I wonder, if some of that stuff is so rare, why do they let it get to auction. Wouldn't you have your own personal collection if you were a firearms historian

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I'm sorry but anything to do with those douche bags from pawn stars I can't watch.
    16181501.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It is a bit slow. Episode I watched on DVR late last night, I will agree was suspicious where they got someone to fork out $75K? for a brick of silver. And showcased a guys M1 Carbing making the previews look like it was his from Korea (which it was not).
    However, I did find it more entertaining than watching Housewives of NY. (with the sound up anyway). But I'm a newbie to C&R.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    And showcased a guys M1 Carbing making the previews look like it was his from Korea (which it was not).

Yeah I saw that. It was all,
    [two-shot with show douche and old guy with M1 carbine]
    "So you were a marine in Korea?"
    "Yup."
    ["Shooter," the 16-year old former marine, talks to camera while terribly excited]
    "Marine...M1...Korea...ooh rah...semper fi...WOULDN'T IT BE AWESOME IF IT WAS THE M1 HE USED IN KOREA? INORITE?!"
    [back to two-shot]
    "So was this..." *dramatic pause while holding mint/nearmint absolutely pristine M1* "...the rifle you used in Korea?"
    "Nope."
    "WEHAVETOGOSHOOTITBECAUSEREASONS!"
    "Ok."

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    yeah i hate the show formula.

everthing thats rare and valuable is treated like its probably a fake, but then when something relatively common is on the show, they play it up like it be jesus' own sandle buckle, just because it happens to be a buckle too.

like when they had a martini henry mkIV on the show, i spotted it right away, but they went through the whole "oh you never know this might have been at isandlwana or rourkes drift.

despite the fact that if he knew anything you could see with just a glance that it was an MKIV that wasnt made till many years later.

as well im pretty sure most of what you see is staged, for example one of the winning bidders, in the next episode i spotted him as one of the folks running the phones.

they also continue this ridiculous idea when it comes to guns on TV, that you need to shoot it to know if it works, and that shooting it increases its value, this is ridiculous and wrong, and i ll bet its giving lots of people who dont know any better the wrong image.

you do not take a rare valuable gun and shoot it.

nor do you have to shoot a gun to know whether its safe most likely.

despite it never happening, they still insist in all these shows of implying that an old gun could just blow up if shot, when anyone with a brain knows full well that they inspected it before hand like a normal person, and if they actually seriously thought there was a risk in firing it, they wouldnt be holding it or anywhere near it.

i cant stand the young douchebag, and you can tell the other two guys are basically playing cartoon versions of themselves, but they're atleast interesting.

at the end of the day, i still watch because they have some interesting stuff, and great HD slo mo footage of old guns being fired. if they could just condence the show down to being half an hour of only that, id love it.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    "Some" of the firearms are interesting, however most are not all that uncommon. The "auction" they hold has got to be BS, a HK MP5SD isnt going to go for $23.5K in a room of 20 people. All in all it was interesting at first, but losing some of it's appeal.

+1, I saw that and wondered how the f*ck is that possible????

Waitwhat

Feb 19, 2013
    The show isn't great, but it makes decent background tv for when I'm more focused on the internet.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Not great, but still better than 95% of the garbage on TV.

Bidding is probably staged to some extent. I'm reasonably sure that one of the guys bidding in the Naples episode also in the audience in Pearland, TX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom