• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    When we joined a couple (5 maybe?) years ago, I chose Monumental because they seemed like a very diverse and active club, and I thought that would be good to keep drawing us out there. It worked. Katie and I have been with them ever since. Now that the nicer weather season is starting up, you could probably shoot with them in one form or another every weekend. They have an active High Power team, if you are into serious, hardcore marksmanship. On the other hand, the Small Bore League shoots every third Sunday for fun (we always have food too). It is scored for occasional prizes and humble braggin rights, but it's mostly just for fun and camaraderie. Our targets are stereotypically either some kind of food, or trash (potatoes, softballs, golf balls, chunks of wood...every once in a while some sort of paper target, but nothing boring like just bullseyes). It is usually rifle and pistol (both rimfire) at 50 and 25yds respectively. The Centerfire league is similar in spirit, but with (you guessed it!) centerfire. There is also a trap and benchrest league as well as a different club match every month.

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    The RSO that always asks if you're going to be shooting sitting or standing always cracks me up. I might try a half squat one day just to see his reaction.

Do you understand why we ask that? When we observe a target placed fairly low on the range, we want to make certain that the shooter's rounds will hit the impact area, and not the grass. None of the RSOs want to be diverted from safety observance by having to write up an infraction, so it's better to ask in advance and have the member adjust his target height if necessary.

We don't care if you stand, sit kneel, squat or go prone ... so long as your rounds end up in the dirt of the impact area at the back of the range. (This applies only to the 100-yard range -- the 50 and 200 have different requirements.)

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    So just tell the bunch of guys all rounds need to hit the berm.

Don't ask if you don't care about it.

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    So just tell the bunch of guys all rounds need to hit the berm.

Don't ask if you don't care about it.

Every AGC Badgeholder *knows* that their target height is supposed to be set so that every round hits the impact area. That's stressed during their Range Orientation.

When targets look appropriate, we *don't* ask how they're going to shoot.

When the RSOs see a target that looks too low, we ask if they're going to be standing, sitting or prone, which will determine if the target height is or isn't appropriate.

The way I read your responses, you would rather have the RSO not say anything and then log infractions on members that are not hitting the impact area.

Isn't it a better idea to *prevent* infractions rather than have badgeholders get written up?

Every AGC Badgeholder *knows* that their target height is supposed to be set so that every round hits the impact area. That's stressed during their Range Orientation.

When the RSOs see a target that looks too low, we ask if they're going to be standing, sitting or prone, which will determine if the target height is or isn't appropriate.

The way I read your responses, you would rather have the RSO not say anything and then log infractions on members that are not hitting the impact area.

Isn't it a better idea to *prevent* infractions rather than have badgeholders get written up?

:thumbsup:

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg

I also take it upon myself to ask shooters what position they are going to take when their target level appears to be incorrect.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Well, I must be really annoying then. If I see someone with a low target, shooting pistol, I just tell them their target is too low (I dont see a lot of offhand rifle shooters). I tell them to sit down before the RSO sees them.

Judging from all the ricochet/skip marks in the grass on the Barnes range at around 60+ yds, there are an awful lot of low targets.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Well, I must be really annoying then. If I see someone with a low target, shooting pistol, I just tell them their target is too low (I dont see a lot of offhand rifle shooters). I tell them to sit down before the RSO sees them.

Judging from all the ricochet/skip marks in the grass on the Barnes range at around 60+ yds, there are an awful lot of low targets.

You should check out the RR ties @100 yards. Way too many strikes and some look as though a chain saw was utilized.

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    You should check out the RR ties @100 yards. Way too many strikes and some look as though a chain saw was utilized.

True. Foreseeing that eventuality Andrew had "sacrificial" railroad ties placed in front of the railroad ties that have the metal brackets on the back side.

Still, this kind of damage requires that the ties be replaced from time to time, with the range shut down while we do the replacements and expending funds for the replacement ties.

Just one more reason why the Rules stipulate that all rounds must hit the impact area, and why the RSOs (and knowledgeable badgeholders such as yourself) try to make certain that the targets are at the correct height for the shooter's position. We're not just being "picky."

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I have no issue with being asked how I will shoot. I took my KTSUB2K to the 100 to sight it in, and was reminded that I could only shoot the top target. I knew that, but understand why it was mentioned.

There are WAY too many skid marks in the lawn. It has gotten worse since I started 8 years ago. Gary used by be adamant about it, no holds barred.

Keep doing what you are doing. I don't need my range fees to increase because other people can't hit the berm.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I have no issue with being asked how I will shoot. I took my KTSUB2K to the 100 to sight it in, and was reminded that I could only shoot the top target. I knew that, but understand why it was mentioned.

There are WAY too many skid marks in the lawn. It has gotten worse since I started 8 years ago. Gary used by be adamant about it, no holds barred.

Keep doing what you are doing. I don't need my range fees to increase because other people can't hit the berm.

:thumbsup:

And, please, let's all remember, this thread was started by someone interesting in joining AGC. Do we really need to air all our dirty laundry right here to give them second thoughts about joining? :innocent0

I think the RSO's do an excellent job of keeping everyone and everything safe...politely too, as long as you are polite back. :D

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    RSOs do a great job. Honestly I dont get all the hate. Its a public range, sometimes with 100 people on the line- including kids as young as 8 shooting (fact). Its not your back yard. Get over it. Rules are there to keep costs down so we are not shooting on a dustbowl or mudpit. Imagine if we had no grass and the wind kicked up. Good luck through the dust storm.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    If you’re still looking for a club, Garrison R&R is a great option. We run the Tuesday night Pistol League, monthly rifle shoot, and trap shooting before the monthly meetings. Meetings are on Tuesday night after the pistol league and include food/drink. Also, we have a big range day/bbq in the summer and Annual Meeting(elections) in the Fall, and pumpkin carving shoot ;)

Cost is $50 to join and $20 to renew.
    https://www.garrisonrr.org

RSOs do a great job. Honestly I dont get all the hate. Its a public range, sometimes with 100 people on the line- including kids as young as 8 shooting (fact). Its not your back yard. Get over it. Rules are there to keep costs down so we are not shooting on a dustbowl or mudpit. Imagine if we had no grass and the wind kicked up. Good luck through the dust storm.

AGC is a private range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom