• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EastSiideRyda

Dec 3, 2013
    SoMD
    I haven't fished since I was young, so this will be like a newbie to a degree. What's a quality budget reel combo to start with? What types of lures and baits? I plan to fish the Chesapeake and Shenandoah park, maybe a few other places.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I would get a spinning reel for your first one. A baitcaster will give you a fit if you're not used to it. You need to know what you're fishing for to know what rod to use. You can get a fair setup from Walmart for $100 and better stuff from Dicks and stores like that. You do not have to have expensive stuff, just not cheap stuff. I have $50 rods and $50 reels that work just as well as the expensive ones.

You can use ML (medium light) for large mouth and M (medium) for medium Cats and smaller stripers and MH (medium Heavy) for large cats and large stripers. Many times rod weight is based more on the size lures and sinkers you are throwing, not fish you are catching. I fish from a kayak and large fish tow me, so I don't need a heavier rod to horse them in, they just tire them selves out.

Lures are based on what you are after and personal preference. Lures vary by day and what the fish want, so change early and often. :D

If you're interested in Kayaking out west let me know and if down in your area hit up snaggedline.com

Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    Bass pro has some pretty awesome father's day sales going on right now. Rod and reel combos for under $100. Good brands like ugly stick n such.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    I haven't fished since I was young, so this will be like a newbie to a degree. What's a quality budget reel combo to start with? What types of lures and baits? I plan to fish the Chesapeake and Shenandoah park, maybe a few other places.

Where in the Chesapeake do you plan on fishing?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    you looking to catch and release or keep them? Not that I care either way...I know a place on Rt 231 where you can catch bass all day...

EastSiideRyda

Dec 3, 2013
    SoMD
    I learned all that in the last couple days. And that was after I bought a st Croix light rod for panfish. I will be getting M-MH later on. Good info from everyone here. Greatly appreciate you guys inputs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom