• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    I'm looking to purchase my first suppressor (.308 so I can use it on my entire range of rifles). I'm looking for suggestions on the model and I'm also wondering what dealers in the greater Baltimore area you guys would recommend. My budget is ~$1000 out the door including fingerprinting and tax stamp.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I can recommend duffys gun room as a top shelf place to do business. Haven't gotten involved with nfa yet but they do a lot of it and have never hears a negative comment about them. They're also an industry partner on MDS :thumbsup:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Duffy's- Sparks
    2a- Laurel
    Engage- Rockville.

All top notch. Call around and find one in stock. In stock saves a few months on the transfer. Also, plan on a year + or - before you can take it home. Any of the mentioned IP's will treat you right. More importantly, they will advise and walk you through the process patiently and professionally.
    Don't forget the whole trust/individual debate. Not going there in this thread.

I don't know what model it was, but Duffy's had a 308 can on a bolt action shooting subs that was positively orgasmic. Hollywood quiet from a 308. Everyone at the Silencer Shoot was dumb founded. Call and ask for Vince.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I would say the list above is pretty good.

That said, I would not set your budget so strictly. You never want to buy another suppressor, buy the best you can at the time. The resale on them all is near zero. Buy once and never have to worry about upgrading. If it costs you a few extra bucks, you will not regret it later. I suggest you find the suppressor you want and then worry if you can come up with the money.

I am not really looking at 7.62 cans but if I was I would check out:

http://www.advanced-armament.com/762mm-Rifle_c_19.html

http://www.silencerco.com/saker/

These are top end suppressors.

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    7.62 Saker's are still likely 1-2mo from being instock at local dealers. They just recently started shipping to distributors then the form#? wait for dealers.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    OP, what are your primary intended host firearms, and in what calibers? Do you have a preference for thread mount or a QD system, in stainless or titanium? I have a number of .30 cans in stock, I'm certain we will find something that will work for you.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    That said, I would not set your budget so strictly. You never want to buy another suppressor, buy the best you can at the time. The resale on them all is near zero. Buy once and never have to worry about upgrading. If it costs you a few extra bucks, you will not regret it later. I suggest you find the suppressor you want and then worry if you can come up with the money.

Outstanding advice. The transfer tax and dealer's fee is the same whether you're buying the latest titanium technology, or a pipe with washers. Buy once, cry once.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    OP, what are your primary intended host firearms, and in what calibers? Do you have a preference for thread mount or a QD system, in stainless or titanium? I have a number of .30 cans in stock, I'm certain we will find something that will work for you.

I am OK with thread mounted. This will be used on .223 (ar15's), 7.62 (ak47's), and .308 (ar10's). One of the rifles is a 10.5 SBR so I am guessing I will need something with at least an inconel blast baffle, otherwise weight is not a concern and stainless would be OK.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Not to thread jack, but I'm in the same boat as the OP, looking for a 7.62 can

What do you guys think about the SilencerCo Specwar? I'd like to mainly use it on my 6.8 SPC and .300 Win Mag. SilencerCo says it goes up to .300 RUM, that's bigger than .300 Win Mag right? I tried calling SilencerCo today, but no answer

Also, what do you guys think about its mounting system?

http://www.silencerco.com/products/#/specwar/

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    If it's going on anything but a short-barrel rifle, then I highly stress getting a light .30 Cal suppressor. Look strongly into the various titanium options. Yes they're expensive, but well worth the weight savings. I can't stress that enough. A 24oz can, such as the Specwar 762, will feel like a boat anchor on a 16"+ barrel.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I have the AAC 762-SDN-6 and love it. I use it on my .308, .300AAC and .233 rifles. Don't limit yourself with a $1,000 budget, buy once and Spend the $ to get a good suppressor that does the job.

If you are planning on moving this can around to different rifles I suggest you don't do a threaded suppressor, once you remove the suppressor from the rifle it won't have a flash suppressor or brake. Plus its much quicker to move from rifle to rifle using the AAC 51t mount.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    Not to thread jack, but I'm in the same boat as the OP, looking for a 7.62 can

What do you guys think about the SilencerCo Specwar? I'd like to mainly use it on my 6.8 SPC and .300 Win Mag. SilencerCo says it goes up to .300 RUM, that's bigger than .300 Win Mag right? I tried calling SilencerCo today, but no answer

Also, what do you guys think about its mounting system?

http://www.silencerco.com/products/#/specwar/

I like the Specwar, although you may also want to consider the Harvester, which weighs in at 11.3 oz and is rated up to 300 Win Mag.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I like the Specwar, although you may also want to consider the Harvester, which weighs in at 11.3 oz and is rated up to 300 Win Mag.

I just got off the phone with SilencerCo, they said the SpecWar will handle the 300 Win Mag with no issues. He said the 300 RUM is WAY bigger than 300 Win Mag

I'll take a look at the Harvester too...thanks!

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    Just realize the Harvester is only rated at 10 rounds/min. SilencerCo doesn't state that anywhere on their site for whatever reason. That's one really slow mag dump.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Just realize the Harvester is only rated at 10 rounds/min. SilencerCo doesn't state that anywhere on their site for whatever reason. That's one really slow mag dump.

thanks...that's a deal breaker for the Harvester.

I guess after all, they sell it to the hunting crowd, not the mag dump crowd :D

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    engineerbrian -

Talk to Richard at GladeValley Sporting Goods on North Market.
    He is a Class 3 Manufacturer.

He may have something like what you are looking for or may be able to provided you with more info.

Richard cut back his retail hours with SB281 banning his bread and butter so you may want to call before you go. I think he is open one evening during the week and Saturdays.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    engineerbrian -

Talk to Richard at GladeValley Sporting Goods on North Market.
    He is a Class 3 Manufacturer.

He may have something like what you are looking for or may be able to provided you with more info.

Richard cut back his retail hours with SB281 banning his bread and butter so you may want to call before you go. I think he is open one evening during the week and Saturdays.

Alex and I are planning on stopping by his shop this evening :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom