• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I have been hunting with a Savage 211 bolt slug gun for the last 10 years or so but would like to go to a semi-auto. I missed a couple on the second shot as the bolt and I were not fast enough. I would like to stay below a grand if I can as it's going to be a hunting gun and not pampered. Also I have short arms so if there is something out there that gives the user ability to shorten the stock without cutting that would be nice. I also really don't care about brand as the best 1911 45 I own is a Charles Daley made in the Philippines. Please chime in and let me know your thoughts. Thanks Chris.

Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    Benelli makes a great reliable semi that makes a great hunting gun. Stoeger is owned by Benelli and uses the same action. It might be worth a look.

I know you said semi, but a pump is a very quick follow up and very reliable while being less expensive. 870s are great and barrels are cheap.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I was "window-shopping" semi-auto shotguns at Heritage Training Center yesterday and they had some new Remington 1100 (12 gauge) on red tag clearance for about $750 and a new Beretta 1301 (12 gauge) for about a grand. I don't know if the prices are reasonable or not but you could go up there and check them out. They also have shotgun rentals so you could test fire what you want to buy before you buy it.

Cal68

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Benelli makes a great reliable semi that makes a great hunting gun. Stoeger is owned by Benelli and uses the same action. It might be worth a look.

I know you said semi, but a pump is a very quick follow up and very reliable while being less expensive. 870s are great and barrels are cheap.

Nate and Engage told me that Atlantic Guns is the local exclusive Benelli dealer so I went to their Rockville store to check out the shotguns. I could not get anyone there to even talk to me and there was a big sign telling customers not to handle firearms by themselves. I waited there for 15-20 min trying to attract someone's attention and then left. Maybe I'll go back there sometime during the week when it is less crowded.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    That second shot may be the difference between meat and no meat. It seems where I have been hunting in the last few years are race tracks. They come in running or at quick trot. Average shot about 60 yards. Used 1100 w/ a rifled barrel & scope may be the way to go. Thanks Chris

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    That second shot may be the difference between meat and no meat. It seems where I have been hunting in the last few years are race tracks. They come in running or at quick trot. Average shot about 60 yards. Used 1100 w/ a rifled barrel & scope may be the way to go. Thanks Chris

I got my 1100 from Northwestern Pawn. Looks like they only have one right now:

Remington 1100 12 GA Auto 30" Vent Rib; Full Choke; Sling $450.00.

You'd have to swap out the barrel. I paid $250 for a Remchoke barrel, if that's any gauge on what to expect.

http://nwpawn.com/guns.htm

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I have a very nice 1187 Premier 12 gauge that I don't shoot very often because its so heavy. I much prefer my Beretta 391 in 20. Since I need a 12 gauge for waterfowling I just picked up a used Weatherby SA-08, which I expect to be pleased with. The Beretta A300 gets nothing but good reviews and can be bought new well under $1K.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

I have seen people hunt like this. They do not get the meat.

I gladly wait at the property line, and scoop up the deer that fall over on my side. :)

When 75% of your firsts shots are kill shots, the other 25% should be finishing shots to quickly dispatch the game. You do not need the in betweens, they get you into trouble.

Feb 28, 2013

Chris is an older fella IRC, and might not like a pump's kick anymore.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I don't disagree about if you can't hit it standing still...but sometimes they ain't standing still and you see them. Why I've decided to switch to my 870 during firearm season in shotgun only areas. I dearly love my CVA wolf, but it is one shot and one shot only unless the damn deer is dead or stupid enough to stand gawking at me for a minute.

So far I missed one definitely on a doe during early muzzleloader when I was a newbie and an idiot slowly putting on ear protection instead of shooting her. Another that was a possible, but I tried to sneak too close in thick stuff, a big buck I nailed. I probably bumped a dozen deer, took a shot at one I thought I had a pretty good bead on, but a clean miss. During firearm season I bumped a pair I probably could have nailed one or both with a shotgun, but I didn't want to take the chance on a 50/50 shot. They hopped away pretty leisurely, but they were in light cover, not open woods.

Frankly, call me a wuss, but between no chance of a follow up in case of only wounding, but also it is just such a pain in the ass to clean out a ml, I didn't want to take the shot. Similar situation the next weekend, but heavier cover and only 1 deer.

Anyway, I've found my 870 is pretty fast with follow ups. At least personal ability wise, I don't think I'd be any faster with accurate shots with a semi over what I can crank out with a slide. That said, I'd say the reduced recoils from a semi might allow me a bit faster accurate follow-ups having never used one, I don't know. I do know by the time I can get back on target I've got another one in the chamber.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    To expand, doesn't mean I'd take highly speculative shots, but it would increase my confidence a bit with still hunting, especially with a deer on the move, but not quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom