• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    So looking to add a fixed blade to a Bug-out/Bug-in bag, I was thinking a Kukri but do not know enough about what is a good steel that holds edges well and is low maintenance, IE rust while in the sheath in between inspections.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    So looking to add a fixed blade to a Bug-out/Bug-in bag, I was thinking a Kukri but do not know enough about what is a good steel that holds edges well and is low maintenance, IE rust while in the sheath in between inspections.

Oil it, or put it in a ziplock bag with desiccant or dry rice?

If you're starving you can always eat the rice. ;)

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Checkout Mora Knives. They make all kinds. Different handles, blade material. They are great utility knives that don’t cost and arm and a leg so you could have a few stashed around. Well they do make some more expensive models. Available all over online.

https://morakniv.se/en/

I have a couple of the Companions. The plastic sheath is actually really nice and the blade kind of snaps in and is held securely. Stainless blade.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Depends on price point, but the SOG seal pups are great for the money. Full tang, decent steel $50ish

ESEE is the nest step up, here is an ESEE 4 $100ish

Higher end is like a white ricer FC 4 or 5 $300ish

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Checkout Mora Knives. They make all kinds. Different handles, blade material. They are great utility knives that don’t cost and arm and a leg so you could have a few stashed around. Well they do make some more expensive models. Available all over online.

https://morakniv.se/en/

I have a couple of the Companions. The plastic sheath is actually really nice and the blade kind of snaps in and is held securely. Stainless blade.
    I have like 10 of the mora knives, for a super cheap fixed blade, hard to beat these guys

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Cold Steel SRK...good all around blade. A basic USMC K-Bar is a good choice as well. No need to overthink it and get something exotic when good quality basic will work just fine.
    What he said, stay away from the so-called SST clones they do not hold an edge. The good old K-bar will never fail you.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Depends on price point, but the SOG seal pups are great for the money. Full tang, decent steel $50ish

ESEE is the nest step up, here is an ESEE 4 $100ish

Higher end is like a white ricer FC 4 or 5 $300ish

I keep a SOG Seal Pup in the back with my bag. I think I got it for around $50-60. No so expensive that I would worry about it too much, but it will certainly get the job done.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I concur with the stainless mora. Got those things stashed everywhere.

Gutted and skinned two deer with one. No need to sharpen at all.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Mora knives work. Great multipurpose utility blade.

For a do-all the full size ka bar is hard to beat. The small size versions are handier but the big ones scare the living crap out of people for some reason. I have a couple that have been in their leather for years. I oil and inspect every year or so with no issues.

If you really like spending money, and supporting good craftsmen, talk to members pmbspyder and justiw. There are other knife makers here but I own work from both those guys and have only good things to say. Pmbspyder's vest bowie is a work of art but is also a premium tool. One of these days I need another one but probably in lc200n......

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    That’s not your grandpa’s skinner, but should be good at delimbing some trees. LOL
    It is a nice multi-role type of knife. My EDC type Folders can handle little things, it is the medium sized stuff that needs a tool.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    ...The good old K-bar will never fail you.

I'll second a K-bar.... chop down a limbs, gut a deer, dig a hole, hammer a nail with the butt... they just keep going. They are the Marines of the knife world.

K-bars are 1095 steel. The knife I listed is CPM-3V steel. There is a world of difference between them:

K-bars are generally $70-$80. For $30-$40 more you can get a much better knife. Don't get me wrong, I own a K-Bar, but if I'm getting one knife, I get the one with CPM-3V.

wpage

Ultimate Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    Southern Delaware
    +2 with Gerber... Here is a shot of my fixed blade.

Attachments

• Gerber.jpg
      Gerber.jpg
      233.9 KB · Views: 128

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    K-bars are 1095 steel. The knife I listed is CPM-3V steel. There is a world of difference between them:

K-bars are generally $70-$80. For $30-$40 more you can get a much better knife. Don't get me wrong, I own a K-Bar, but if I'm getting one knife, I get the one with CPM-3V.
    that is a nice informative website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom