• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I got those two new Mechanical Redundant safe locks in.

See original post here: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=102489

The locks are going to be $310 ea. for now. But I understand that they may go up in the future because of the way the distributor is going to start stocking them. ("Piece meal", instead of in a kit).

This will be the first time that I will be installing them, so here's the deal:

I will charge half of whatever my normal trip charge would be. (Usually starts at $75, and goes up depending on distance.) And I will charge a half hour labor ($75) , no matter how long it takes to replace your lock with the new mechanical redundant lock. (My normal MDS discount does not apply because this is already a discounted price.)

I would prefer not to do these first two, too far away from me, in case I run into something unforeseen and have to come back (on my dime) especially since I'm cutting the trip charge in half.

What I need from the two lucky "subjects":

You will need to remove the back panel (ONLY!) of your gun safe to make sure that there is room for the lock. (I don't want to get into cutting/modifying door panels until I have a few of these under my belt.)

The new lock is thinker than a standard mechanical or E-lock. (But considerably thinner than the older - no longer made - mechanical redundant locks.)

The new lock is 1 1/2" thick. So you will need to measure the distance from the front (the side closest to the door) of the current lock, to the inside of the back panel. Be sure to allow for any extra relocker attachments currently fastened to the back of your lock.

The first two people to contact me ***by PM***, telling me that the lock will fit, get first shot.

After that, I will evaluate the installation and what I will be charging in the future, and will post accordingly.

Sound good?

If you have any questions, feel free to post below. But the first two PMs (AFTER you make sure it will fit) get the first two locks.

ETA: Installation will have to be during normal business hours (M-F 8:30-4:00) I will be happy to schedule it as the first job of the day.

ETA 2: If your current dial or keypad is behind any part of the handle you turn to open the door, there has to be at least 1 3/4" clearance between the handle and the door, for the handle to clear this keypad.

Last edited:

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    Who makes the lock? Just curious what quality it is. What's your opinion now that you have one in your hands? Considering one.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    They are made by NL LOCK.

Here's a link. But the lock is so new, it's not even listed on their website.

http://www.nllock.com/dbcTrade/premium/v404/indexc89d.html

I'm thinking they are going to do a roll out at the Safe & Vault Technicians' Association Convention in May. (But I'm Vice President, and I've yet to have that confirmed.)
    :)

The lock was designed by Nick Gartner - the guy who designed the LaGard electronic locks years ago. Including - I believe - their now discontinued mechanical redundant lock. That lock was discontinued after Kaba bought LaGard, and there just wasn't enough demand for the lock for Kaba to keep it in production. (It was also quite a bit more expensive. And probably why they didn't sell an awful lot of them.)

Nick started his own company and designed a very reliable electronic lock of his own, and also a line of mechanical locks.

They are in California, and on the lock it says "NL Lock - US". But the main company, "NL Locks" is in The Netherlands.

The lock is UL Security Listed.

There honestly isn't a whole lock of information available on these yet. I just found out it was available because a friend of mine did a write-up on one of the Safe Technician forums I frequent.

I will fully guarantee these locks. (Including any and all labor.)

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    One down!

I installed the first one for an MDS member today.

I LOVE this lock!

I was there for quite a long time. But in all fairness, a lot of that time was taking a gazillion pictures for an article I plan on writing for a trade journal, and the normal "first time installation" "clock eaters". (Trips back to the truck for this-n-that, stupid mistakes, etc)

Never the less, I want to do one more before I start quoting normal installation prices. So I need one more Guinea Pig!

Above offer stands. Half a trip charge, half hour labor ($75) no matter how long it takes me, and the price of the lock (+ sales tax on the lock)

PM me if interested. FCFS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom