• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    Looking for gunsmith in AA county to install a Boyd's stock on a Ruger American Rimfire. I don't have the time or tools to do it myself and would sleep well knowing someone did it right. Who would you all recommend for this (what I am assuming is a kinda niche) job?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Pardon my ignorance, but those stocks aren't ready for assembly?
    What kind of extra work is needed?

USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    It is literally just installing the bedding blocks and epoxy, and dropping in the action. I don't have a good rifle vice at the moment, but I do have a toddler and a pregnant, sick wife, so I'd rather just drop this off at a reputable, skilled gunsmith and pick it up later.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Ive installed a ton of Boyd's stocks.
    Sometimes their hit or miss for quality of in-letting.
    Even with all of that they are however competitively priced, usually available and not so bad they cannot be straightened out without a return after careful fitting.
    Bolting up and fitted are two very differing aspects of bedding something properly.
    Ive got one here now that needs gone over and another waiting soon as I can get to it.
    The second is for a CF rifle and the other a 17 cal that wont shoot after the owner installed replacement stock.
    Im sure its something relativley minor that needs adjusted but have found everything from barrel channels that are off center-line to excess amounts of wood that need fitted to recoil surfaces for correct bearing.
    To be fair, every once in a while one that fits up just right. They are usually always associated with an action thats a round tube versus a machined component that almost always wind up with too much wood removed where it counts the most at the flat surface reciver bottom and recoil lug juncture.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Scotts in Glen Burnie
    It has been a few years, but back then it was a 2-3 month turn around.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Ive installed a ton of Boyd's stocks.
    Sometimes their hit or miss for quality of in-letting.
    Even with all of that they are however competitively priced, usually available and not so bad they cannot be straightened out without a return after careful fitting.
    Bolting up and fitted are two very differing aspects of bedding something properly.
    Ive got one here now that needs gone over and another waiting soon as I can get to it.
    The second is for a CF rifle and the other a 17 cal that wont shoot after the owner installed replacement stock.
    Im sure its something relativley minor that needs adjusted but have found everything from barrel channels that are off center-line to excess amounts of wood that need fitted to recoil surfaces for correct bearing.
    To be fair, every once in a while one that fits up just right. They are usually always associated with an action thats a round tube versus a machined component that almost always wind up with too much wood removed where it counts the most at the flat surface reciver bottom and recoil lug juncture.
    Boyds is hit or miss. My Ruger 10/22 stock was perfect and fit tightly but perfectly. Then there's the Feather Weight Thumhole stock I got for a Ruger American. The bolt would rub the the comb of the stock. I spent quite a bit of time carefully filing the comb down so the bolt clears. Also, it is a must to bed the stock for a Boyds stock going on a Ruger American; the receiver lugs just kind of wobble in a new Boyds stock. Boyds does include bedding material for the RAR stocks.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Boyds is hit or miss. My Ruger 10/22 stock was perfect and fit tightly but perfectly. Then there's the Feather Weight Thumhole stock I got for a Ruger American. The bolt would rub the the comb of the stock. I spent quite a bit of time carefully filing the comb down so the bolt clears. Also, it is a must to bed the stock for a Boyds stock going on a Ruger American; the receiver lugs just kind of wobble in a new Boyds stock. Boyds does include bedding material for the RAR stocks.

Boyds does state in the fine print that additional fitting may be required and that there are variances in the rifle. And if you get a stock for a Ruger American, you will have to bed the receiver lugs (there are two). They just wobble in the new stock, and Boyds even includes bedding material for RAR stocks.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I have used at least six Boyds rifle stocks. I have seen a few that say require minor fitting or inletting. They all have fit for me. Only thing I di on two stocks was put finish on wood. One for Mauser and other for 03A3 I built. Was bare wood

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    As far as I know Scotts in Glen Burnie is the only brick and mortar gunsmith in AA Co. If there are others, I'd like to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom