• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZ Peasy

Jun 29, 2012
    I'm having a hard time finding a DC CCW renewal class advertised. Before I randomly start contacting the trainers listed on the DC police web site I was wondering if anybody here has any recommendations?

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    I'm having a hard time finding a DC CCW renewal class advertised. Before I randomly start contacting the trainers listed on the DC police web site I was wondering if anybody here has any recommendations?
    I recommend Associated Security Training Corporation (ASTC). They are an industry partner and are reasonably priced

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Here's another that advertises on WMAL all the time:

You can select DC under the drop-down menu.

CZ Peasy

Jun 29, 2012
    Thank you for all your recommendations. I have some good leads to pursue. My permit expires in mid March so I don't have much time.

joyd69

Jan 18, 2017
    P.G. County
    I just did my renewal on online 1/09/23. Receive a email today saying "Concealed Carry Pistol License has been approved" damn that was fast. My old license didn't expire until 2/15/24. New date is 1/13/26 lost a month.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    I just did my renewal on online 1/09/23. Receive a email today saying "Concealed Carry Pistol License has been approved" damn that was fast. My old license didn't expire until 2/15/24. New date is 1/13/26 lost a month.
    Appreciate this info.

It’s such BS how DC doesn’t rollover the time period.

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    Appreciate this info.

It’s such BS how DC doesn’t rollover the time period.

It is very frustrating that it essentially results in you losing time on your license, especially since it's not like they are pro-rating the fees.

Does anyone know, if your DC license completely expires, are you still able to renew using the online portal after the expiration date, or do you have to start all over with the 16-hour class and in-person appointment with MPD?

Alternatively, does anyone know what happens if you submit your renewal online before your license expires, but then your license expires before the renewal is completely processed? Will they complete the renewal (with your previous license just being no good until the renewal is processed), or would they make you start all over again with the 16-hour class and in-person appointment?

I don't intend to end up in either of those circumstances, but it would be good to know what the options are (or aren't) just in case.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    It is very frustrating that it essentially results in you losing time on your license, especially since it's not like they are pro-rating the fees.

Does anyone know, if your DC license completely expires, are you still able to renew using the online portal after the expiration date, or do you have to start all over with the 16-hour class and in-person appointment with MPD?

Alternatively, does anyone know what happens if you submit your renewal online before your license expires, but then your license expires before the renewal is completely processed? Will they complete the renewal (with your previous license just being no good until the renewal is processed), or would they make you start all over again with the 16-hour class and in-person appointment?

I don't intend to end up in either of those circumstances, but it would be good to know what the options are (or aren't) just in case.
    Agreed.

I submitted my DC renewal 60 days or so prior my DC CCW Permit's expiration date. When I submitted my DC CCW renewal, I received an email confirmation from MPD (I got mine around 10 days later) which said I'd receive an approval/denial decision notice within 60 days. Given that stated turnaround period, playing it safe with the 60 day period made sense. I ultimately received my new DC CCW Permit a few weeks before the expiration of my current one at the time. Better safe than sorry in my case, but it's BS to forfeit that time when it's already such a short validity period.

Those are good questions. I've done my best to avoid being in that situation as well.

You could reach out to an instructor (Capital Defense Instruction: https://capitaldefenseinstruction.com/) and ask. I'm sure they've had students in this position.

Let me know if you do and what you hear back!

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    Agreed.

I submitted my DC renewal 60 days or so prior my DC CCW Permit's expiration date. When I submitted my DC CCW renewal, I received an email confirmation from MPD (I got mine around 10 days later) which said I'd receive an approval/denial decision notice within 60 days. Given that stated turnaround period, playing it safe with the 60 day period made sense. I ultimately received my new DC CCW Permit a few weeks before the expiration of my current one at the time. Better safe than sorry in my case, but it's BS to forfeit that time when it's already such a short validity period.

Those are good questions. I've done my best to avoid being in that situation as well.

You could reach out to an instructor (Capital Defense Instruction: https://capitaldefenseinstruction.com/) and ask. I'm sure they've had students in this position.

Let me know if you do and what you hear back!

Thanks! I'm planning on taking my renewal course later this month, so I'll be sure to ask.

In any case, I'll also plan on submitting my renewal application around the 60 day mark to be safe (unless I find out something significantly different when I take the class).

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Thanks! I'm planning on taking my renewal course later this month, so I'll be sure to ask.

In any case, I'll also plan on submitting my renewal application around the 60 day mark to be safe (unless I find out something significantly different when I take the class).
    Sure thing. Curious what you hear. Let me know! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom