• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    I need an AR range bag and I was thinking about getting a 36 inch Uncle Mikes Rifle Assault Bag.

Does anyone have any experience with this bag? Pros / Cons?

Any other range bag suggestions for around the same price... not really looking for anything more expensive.

Thanks in advance.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Sounds more like you need a soft-sided rifle case geared towards "modern sporting rifles". I usually roll with my gear, ammo, pistols, and pistol mags in the Midway full-size comp bag, and my rifles and rifle mags in their respective rifle cases.

I use a couple of NcStar carriers. They were cheap, but the metal bits are not durable and I have broken/bent some of them. When I suck it up and buy new ones, I'll be getting stuff from Maxpedition, Blackhawk, and/or Voodoo Tactical.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo

I have a couple of both their rifle bags and tactical bags (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939141733/midwayusa-pro-series-tactical-rifle-case) Inexpensive and really good (high density) padding. Seem well built but admittedly haven't got a ton of use/dragging around. IIRC they run a touch small (the dimensions are the outside dims) thus the insides are 2+" shorter. I can measure if you want. A 16" AR wont fit in the 35" bag assembled, but an AK w/ folder fits fine. I think a pair of assembled ARs fit in the 43" bag. An assembled 24" AR308 wont fit in the 43" bag;) Some people complain about the zippers not starting if opened fully. Sort of true, but if you simply pinch the end of the bag to get the sides sort of parallel to start, they work fine.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    The midway bag is nice for the money but it does not compare to the Voodoo Tactical bag I have.

Totally agree 100%. I had a Voodoo bag and needed a second bag but I wanted something a little cheaper so I got the Midway Zippered Soft case geared towards sporting rifles. It has 4 mag pouches and a small pocket on the outside of the case. For the money which was $30 you can't beat it. The material seems like it will last and if it does, I will never again spend more than $30 for a soft rifle bag.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    i have a 5.11 covert ar case that i really like...however, be mindful of your rifle oal, my 14.5 inch w/ vltor imod fits with about 1.5" max to spare...an a2 stock or 6 position on a 16" will probably not fit

bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    Sounds more like you need a soft-sided rifle case geared towards "modern sporting rifles". I usually roll with my gear, ammo, pistols, and pistol mags in the Midway full-size comp bag, and my rifles and rifle mags in their respective rifle cases.

I use a couple of NcStar carriers. They were cheap, but the metal bits are not durable and I have broken/bent some of them. When I suck it up and buy new ones, I'll be getting stuff from Maxpedition, Blackhawk, and/or Voodoo Tactical.

yeah soft rifle case sounds good... wasn't sure what to call it

I have a couple of both their rifle bags and tactical bags (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939141733/midwayusa-pro-series-tactical-rifle-case) Inexpensive and really good (high density) padding. Seem well built but admittedly haven't got a ton of use/dragging around. IIRC they run a touch small (the dimensions are the outside dims) thus the insides are 2+" shorter. I can measure if you want. A 16" AR wont fit in the 35" bag assembled, but an AK w/ folder fits fine. I think a pair of assembled ARs fit in the 43" bag. An assembled 24" AR308 wont fit in the 43" bag;) Some people complain about the zippers not starting if opened fully. Sort of true, but if you simply pinch the end of the bag to get the sides sort of parallel to start, they work fine.

do you think a 16" barrel ar would fit in a 35' case on a diagonal? or will it not strap in properly then? Ill just have to measure the length of mine and just go to the next size up... no problem

The midway bag is nice for the money but it does not compare to the Voodoo Tactical bag I have.

i bet, but i just cant bring myself to spend that much.. my bags/gear dont really take a beating so the midway should be ok.

Totally agree 100%. I had a Voodoo bag and needed a second bag but I wanted something a little cheaper so I got the Midway Zippered Soft case geared towards sporting rifles. It has 4 mag pouches and a small pocket on the outside of the case. For the money which was $30 you can't beat it. The material seems like it will last and if it does, I will never again spend more than $30 for a soft rifle bag.

which size midway bag did you end up buying? how did the rifle fit?

i have a 5.11 covert ar case that i really like...however, be mindful of your rifle oal, my 14.5 inch w/ vltor imod fits with about 1.5" max to spare...an a2 stock or 6 position on a 16" will probably not fit

yeah they are pretty nice but again just too expensive for me right now

Midway USA has some very nice quality bags. certainly worth checking out.

i think this is the way i will be heading

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    If you want to go to the Chantilly show, you won't be able to beat the variety, and you can take your gear and test the fit. Everything from basic Chinese import bags (80% of the market) to basic US-made bags (a little more expensive) to high-end VERY WELL MADE bags and carriers will be available. There is one vendor who makes all sorts of really nice stuff, and is local. I have to find his card when I get home.

I bought a $50 Chinese-made bag about 5 years ago. All the zipper pulls have broken, some of the stitching has come out and one of the zippers came off track. Now I have to replace it. If I had spent ~$100 on a better bag, I could have had that rather than spending half on a crap bag, and now I will spend the ~$100 on better kit. Could have used that $50 for mags or ammo...

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    do you think a 16" barrel ar would fit in a 35' case on a diagonal? or will it not strap in properly then? Ill just have to measure the length of mine and just go to the next size up... no problem

Won't fit. W/ my BCM 16" upper is exactly 34" tip to tip. The inside of the 35" bag is 33". Diagonally, I can JUST get the zipper closed but its going to tear them up. The real problem is the thickness of the stock. That causes the bag to swell out right at the zipper.

For comparison I also took a pic w/ a Colt 20" upper in the larger 43" bag. It measures 43" side to side inside the zipper so its more 'true to size' than the smaller bag. Note: I'd have to take the aimpoint off to fit them both in the bag (though that just takes a quick twist of the knob).

Attachments

• IMAG0666_midway_35_bag.jpg
      IMAG0666_midway_35_bag.jpg
      36.1 KB · Views: 318
    • IMAG0667_midway_35_bag.jpg
      IMAG0667_midway_35_bag.jpg
      32.1 KB · Views: 336
    • IMAG0668_midway_43_bag.jpg
      IMAG0668_midway_43_bag.jpg
      36.7 KB · Views: 321

Longvisit

Jan 2, 2013
    It's a little more than you are looking for but I really like my 5.11 two rifle 42 inch bag. They have a shorter one and single bag. Lots of room, I've stored 4 rifles and 2 handguns in it before and it's held up. Lots of pockets and webbing. It also has hand and should straps plus a backpack strap. One of these days I'm going to use it to take my stuff to the range on my motorcycle.

Jeip24

Jan 14, 2012
    Baltimore

I paid around $60 bucks for my double rifle voodoo bag on sale from ops gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom