• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Another question I need to settle in my own mind, is what would the SFAR provide me that that I don't already have from my PTR91?

Just thinking out loud here what the SFAR might be able to offer over the HK91 ...

1. Lighter weight and handier. This is one reason I really like the SFAR
    2. Easier to mount optics (I am not thrilled with the HK iron sights).
    3. Better trigger.
    4. More options for customization; triggers, stocks, handgaurds, etc.
    5. Better egros.
    6. Perhaps easier to mount a can (the PTR91 flash hider seems to be permanently attached).

Going against the SFAR
    1. It's new. As already pointed out, something that's been out for a while is less risk.
    2. It will probably kick like a mule. That being said, a better stock with a limb saver pad can fix that.
    3. Proprietary parts for the critical components.
    4. Does not have the HK slap. :)

rifle-308-ptr91-GI.jpg

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    2) There are low claw mount picatinny rails avail from MFI (hkparts might have them in stock)
    3) there is now a Timney trigger available for the HK (I have on one order.)
    6) Your flash hider should not be permanently mounted? Is it a factory one w/ the little wire clip? If you run something other than an OSS/flow through suppressor you'll need a different locking piece to run a suppressor on the HK.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    2) There are low claw mount picatinny rails avail from MFI (hkparts might have them in stock)
    3) there is now a Timney trigger available for the HK (I have on one order.)
    6) Your flash hider should not be permanently mounted? Is it a factory one w/ the little wire clip? If you run something other than an OSS/flow through suppressor you'll need a different locking piece to run a suppressor on the HK
    Thanks for the info. Don’t worry, I won’t be selling my HK91 clone anytime soon.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I’ve had a few of the DPMS style PSA 10s with very little issues and the one problem I had they sent a new part instantly. Buying a complete gun will eliminate the incompatibility problems that can come with a non mil spec AR platform.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    The muzzlebrake on the sfar is really efficient. Enough so even a 9yr old can handle it.( if you look hard you can see it amongst the leaves)It has quite a bit less recoil than my ptr with birdcage flash supressor.

Attachments

• 20221112_164627.jpg
      20221112_164627.jpg
      148.2 KB · Views: 54

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    What is it with the 'A' and 'B' type mags?
    To understand that you really need to understand the difference between the original Armalite AR10A and AR10B.

TLDR: AR10A mags are WILDLY more accepted/copied (PMags fit this group.) The B mags are the unicorns that ony fit the original Armalite gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom