• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • o4twinpeaks

Dec 17, 2011
    I'm looking to pick up a new semi auto hand gun. I have been a revolver for years but now my son is getting into shooting so I'm looking to pick up something to play with. Have a mklll and a charger but looking for something larger. Looking for something that is going to be stone reliable. Not looking for a compact as I have big bear paws. lol Yes my hands actually fit my brothers desert eagle but no way I want to shoot that every time we go out. Was thinking more more in the 9mm range. Looking for something that is affordable to shoot. We do a few pin shoots and some other fun shoots at horst and freestate.

I have an issue with iron sites and my eyes being able to focus so looking to do laser or optics.

Looking for suggestions

thanks
    Tom

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I think you would be well served by many of the big named manufacturers: FN, CZ, M&P, Glock, Ruger, etc... Best bet would be to go to a pistol range and rent, rent, rent; 'til you find one that you like.

Last edited:

seankar

Jan 22, 2012
    Millsboro, DE
    Find a local range that rents pistols. Rent 3 or 4 different pistols and find out what you like. You will get all the lovers telling you what to buy and all the haters telling you what not to buy. all of the name manufacturers make pistols in 9mm that will work fine its just a matter of finding what feels comfortable to you. My personal opinion would be Glock- mine have over 3000 rounds thru them each without a failure but that is only one guy's opinion

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Beretta 92

I dunno, if he's got big gorilla hands, this may not be the best choice. (But if anyone has one for sale for finds a used one at a good price, PM me :innocent0 )

Seriously though, I like the gun, but the Glocks feel bigger to me. I'd second the suggestion to rent and borrow a bunch of stuff and see what you like. "Something in 9mm" is... a big field.

Hey, what about one of the 1911 pattern 9mm or Hi-Powers? Those should have big manly grips.

Ppat

Jun 2, 2012
    Walther PPQ... Go handle one at your lgs, if you cant actually shoot it, ask to dry fire it. Best factory trigger and ergonomics for a polymer handgun.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    If you fancy an FNP-9, I will have one for sale very soon. I have big hands and this one fits me very well. Otherwise, pretty much every pistol listed thus far is worth looking at.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Give the Sig P226 a try if you like larger guns.

I hate the Beretta 92, but that's just me.

coynedogg

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2012
    UR2PC4ME
    Find a local range that rents pistols. Rent 3 or 4 different pistols and find out what you like.

Yep.. rent a bunch. and/or use friends.

9mm is a saturated field. There's a large variety of good quality pistols to choose from that are competitively priced.

3 most promising choices in my opinion (for the $$):

Striker fired-

Glock G19G4, G17G4 (large backstrap for man hands) $549 free shipping, 3 mags. (extra mags $22 each)

Walther PPQ, more similar in size to G17 often compared to G19. $549 free ship, 2 mags? (extra mags $50 each)

SW M&P9 PRO, M&P9L PRO. $563 free ship, 2 mags? Includes Night Sights, stronger frame, $34 for extra 17 round mags.

If you want to spend more or less $ the choices would obviously change. If you want an all steel pistol? CZ75 maybe or P35 maybe?

Demand D/A S/A? FNFNX9 $549 free ship, Sig 226/228 but the price jumps up.

Strict budget? Ruger SR9 Stainless $403 free shipping.

or Ruger P89 w/rail $329 free shipping.

o4twinpeaks

Dec 17, 2011
    I the 5's sounds like a good figure. Yes there is alot of choices listed here. I know I don't want to pick up something that I'm always going to be fixing or has known issues. Maybe I should of asked what to stay away from. lol Harbor freight vs snap on. I'll settle for craftsman.

o4twinpeaks

Dec 17, 2011
    If you fancy an FNP-9, I will have one for sale very soon. I have big hands and this one fits me very well. Otherwise, pretty much every pistol listed thus far is worth looking at.

Would like to try it out sometime. I'm a member at freestate and go over most wed nights to shoot if we could meet up sometime.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Glock 17 Gen3 or Glock 34. You can probably get a nice used G17 from Lou at Shooter's Discount for not much more than half the price of new.

coynedogg

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2012
    UR2PC4ME
    I the 5's sounds like a good figure. Yes there is alot of choices listed here. I know I don't want to pick up something that I'm always going to be fixing or has known issues. Maybe I should of asked what to stay away from. lol Harbor freight vs snap on. I'll settle for craftsman.

All the pistols I mentioned are nice. You really should handle/shoot some first. It could save you money and disappointment.

Some pistols just feel right when you pick them up. Ask them if you can dry fire it a couple times. (if you can't shoot it) See if you like the trigger.

What is your budget? approximately -350, 450, 550, 750+? Add $40 for transfer fee, tax, MSP, lock, etc.

Going to carry it? Just shoot targets? What sort of trigger action would you prefer?

Using your tool analogy.. You would not want to buy a hammer when you'd be better served by a saw.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    CZ75/ EAA Witness. The Witness has interchangable slides and calibers. So one frame can go from 9mm-45acp and from stock to unlimited class in most any competition just by swapping parts. For optics you can get them with the drilled and tapped frame or get one with a rail for a wraparound mount.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Try ot the Glock 17 and 34. The S&W M&P 9 is another great choice.

Shoot them before you buy.

o4twinpeaks

Dec 17, 2011
    Had a chance to get out today and shoot the beretta 92 and the cz. The beretta was to my liking at the end of the shoot. About a 1" group at 10 yrds . I'm off on monday so going to shoot the beretta along side a glock 17L. I have almost talked myself into the glock and looking at a gen 4 34 for just over 600. Guess I'll make the final choice on monday. Seems like alot more aftermarket out there for the glock than the beretta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom