• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Regardless of what ill informed haters say, the Rock Island GI I have has worked great since day one. I've abused the hell out of it. It's a beast. I'd bet my life on it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333235137.341485.jpg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Nothing wrong with a Springfield Armory. You can pick up a used Mil Spec or GI in that price range. I'd take a Springfield Armory over a Rock Island for comparable $$$ any time. Forged frames (single stack steel ones anyway) and nicer internals, at least in my experience.

But the Rocks have a solid following... Assess the opportunities with your budget

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    MDPrinter here is the E-Brochure for the Remington R1 (Below). Ive seen the Talo for $599, some chain stores overprice them, probably due to demand. Id shop around if you want one. Gunbroker.com has LOTS of these listed - new in box.

There is alot of praise about the R1's trigger pull. The R1 uses the Colt Series 80 set up (grip safety disengages the trigger lock) but you will not notice a difference once the grip saftey is depressed, in your hand when firing. Other manufactures are using this set up as well. The R1 is a full sized 1911 (Government).

The R1 is entirely built in the USA - Illion NY.

Attachments

• R1 spread.jpg
      R1 spread.jpg
      125.5 KB · Views: 147

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Clandestine has numerous posts detailing the various advantages/disadvantages of the 1911 manufacturers (It seems to be a favorite topic, along with his love of .40 calibers and piston ARs :D). A search of those posts will answer many questions. Since he is a professional gunsmith, with umpteen years experience; his opinion cares weight. IMO

Edit: I've getting a real hankering for a 1911 myself. Just need to get all these other projects off the table to clear up some money.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Don't fool yourself in believing there are no inexpensive 1911s.

Some may cost more up front but take less on the backside to tune while those with the low front end cost take more money to tune and replace the cheaper parts that made them such a bargain in the dealer case.

Depending on what eventual role you have in mind for the pistol, either Plinking, CCW, HD or Competition, should be your guide and not budget. Better to save and get yourself the right pistol then pour money down a hole trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. Or if you really want to get pig then get a pig you can dress up as your needs and desires change.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    How about the Remington vs the Springfield?

Also can all the mentioned 1911's be customized with all the little goodies people like to do?

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Some may cost more up front but take less on the backside to tune while those with the low front end cost take more money to tune and replace the cheaper parts that made them such a bargain in the dealer case

This also seems to come up enough that you have to give it some credit. Which is why I haven't gotten a 1911 yet. $500-600 I can swing no sweat. $1000 plus begins to push my comfort zone for a pistol.

Wreck

Mar 9, 2012
    Bethesda
    MDPrinter here is the E-Brochure for the Remington R1 (Below). Ive seen the Talo for $599, some chain stores overprice them, probably due to demand. Id shop around if you want one. Gunbroker.com has LOTS of these listed - new in box.

There is alot of praise about the R1's trigger pull. The R1 uses the Colt Series 80 set up (grip safety disengages the trigger lock) but you will not notice a difference once the grip saftey is depressed, in your hand when firing. Other manufactures are using this set up as well. The R1 is a full sized 1911 (Government).

That R1 looks like a deal AND made in America...might be my first 1911.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I had a S&W I loved, sold it. Kept my RIA because it's GI, Parkerized, and sentimental. Like I've said, it runs great. Only problem I had was the one I caused. I had it Parkerized and needed the feed ramp smoothed out. While he was at it, chad added the new spring he talks about. Works great. That Remington looks so good.

c-03003

Sep 6, 2011
    Fort Washington, MD

I have 1200 rounds through my R1. Great first 1911. I've had issues with FTF's but due to one magazine. The other one works fine.

MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks everyone. I can't wait to get one but as I read more and more I do have a concern that I'm curious about. I'm used to glocks and have never had any problems but as I read more and more I hear about 1911's needing work from a gun smith from time to time. Why is that?

One person mentioned that if you spend less up front then you will have more on the backend. What backend?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Thanks everyone. I can't wait to get one but as I read more and more I do have a concern that I'm curious about. I'm used to glocks and have never had any problems but as I read more and more I hear about 1911's needing work from a gun smith from time to time. Why is that?

One person mentioned that if you spend less up front then you will have more on the backend. What backend?

Glocks are made by one company, Glock. They control the product. I forget how many different companies make a 1911 or parts for 1911s. All you need is for one of those parts companies to make some out of spec items and you have a nightmare.

Here is something to consider, there is at least one company, that is making a metal Glock clone frame. There are several companies making barrels for the Glock platform. As more and more aftermarket stuff comes out for the Glock, you will start to hear about issues with "Glocks". Of course, some of those guns may not contain any Glock parts.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB

A lot of people who start with GI style 1911s slowly discover the things they want out of a 1911 - beavertails, sights, grip checkering, match barrels/bushings, different hammers, triggers, mainspring housings, grip safeties, magwells, etc...

That's where the costs add up. Most, if not all, of these parts will require some degree of fitting, and, in some cases, for the gun to be refinished. I like the American Classic IIs because they come with many of the features that I'd like out of a 1911 for a very low price.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Mikec is correct about the Glock analogy.

As far as your concern on reliability, its very valid. As far as how to head off the issues, well that all lies in your hands. If you buy one online and transfer it in then the Gunsmithing is may need or the shipping back to the manufacturer could easily cost you a hundred dollars and up.

BUT, if you buy one from a LOCAL Shop thst supports the sale and has a gunsmith they will make it right for FREE. Scotts Gunsmithing is one of those places.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I hate when people modify a GI 1911. That's why it's a GI...leave it. Get a more custom modern one if you wanna mess with it. I'd vote for S&W.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    A lot of people who start with GI style 1911s slowly discover the things they want out of a 1911 - beavertails, sights, grip checkering, match barrels/bushings, different hammers, triggers, mainspring housings, grip safeties, magwells, etc...

That's where the costs add up. Most, if not all, of these parts will require some degree of fitting, and, in some cases, for the gun to be refinished. I like the American Classic IIs because they come with many of the features that I'd like out of a 1911 for a very low price.

Jawn is correct, all of those upgrades done right will cost a grand with gunsmithing, refinishing and parts cost. That money will NEVER be recovered back out of the gun unless you have a world renowned Smith do the work.

Get a gun with the features you want off the bat.

dswanmd

Feb 23, 2010
    I'll second the Remington R1, I've had one for about 6 months and put 500-600 flawless rounds through it. More accurate than I am and solidly built. Additionally Remington provides a factory check up and cleaning within 1 year, so I plan on running it hard in the next few months and sending it in for a once over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom