Looking for a HD revolver in 45acp, few question inside.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    Im looking to get a revolver in 45acp for home defense. Any recommendations on which manufacturer to go with? Also what is the best BBL length to go with in 45acp?

Lastly, with all the stuff going on with the MSP in terms of wait times and the lack of availability of revolvers, what happens if a store doesnt have it in stock? Can I place an order and then wait? Are there any IPs that are taking order?

Now since Im going to buy one shortly, and since its going to be before the new legislation takes place, I wouldnt have to go with the new MD state legislation and their "new" requirements on handgun purchases etc correct?

Thanks guys!

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Smith and Wesson Model 625 .45 ACP Revolver, RUGER VAQUERO CONVERTIBLE 45 COLT/45 ACP, 4 5/8", SS

Buy online - transfer to an 8-10 day IP that you qualify for.

Buy before Oct.1 good to go.

Good luck in your search

NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    lol no troll here fellas. I dont know anything about revolvers, hence the post.

Id like double action at least. I dont know where to look. I guess maybe just look at S&W, Taurus, Ruger etc? Any of the big guys good to go? Reason for 45acp is because I already have that caliber.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Only drawback with 45ACP is you will have to use moon clips.

I would go with a 4" barrel but that's just my preference. Any of the major brands should be fine, just whatever one you like best. Plenty of collectible Brazilian contract S&W 1917's out there for under 800 bucks. I'd stay away from single action for a home defense gun.

NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    Thanks guys.. I dont wanna get into another caliber as then thats more ammo, thats well non-existent...

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Home defense ... no brainer

S&W Governor with CT laser.

162411 - Model GOVERNOR with Crimson Trace®

Yeah, I know ... Taurus Judge wanna-be, but with .45 ACP, mix'n'match caliber with .45LC and .410 home defense rounds, it's pretty versatile, and the laser makes it ideal for darkened hallway and stairs.

Capacity: 6 Rounds
    Action: Single/Double Action
    Barrel Length: 2-3/4”
    Front Sight: Dovetailed Tritium Night Sight
    Rear Sight: Fixed
    Overall Length: 8-1/2”
    Overall Height: 5-1/2”
    Overall Width: 1-3/4”
    Weight: 29.6 oz.

And ... it's on the MSP 'approved list'.

The only drawback ... It's name ... which reminds me of Owe'Malley. :sad20:

NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    Only drawback with 45ACP is you will have to use moon clips.

I would go with a 4" barrel but that's just my preference. Any of the major brands should be fine, just whatever one you like best. Plenty of collectible Brazilian contract S&W 1917's out there for under 800 bucks. I'd stay away from single action for a home defense gun.

Any idea on where to get one of those 1917s? Anything to look for in terms of wear and tear?

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Thanks guys.. I dont wanna get into another caliber as then thats more ammo, thats well non-existent...

There is of course the other side of the coin: when you can't find one caliber you might find the other..

Which is why I chose to diversify: 357/38, 22lr, 22mag., 45acp, 45 long colt, 454 casual, 460 magnum, 380 and 40 S&W.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Lou at Shooters Discount had a .45 ACP 1917 in he case on Saturday. Worth a PM I would venture and you get a historical revolver. Can't remember the price though.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Gunbroker has qty. 28 45ACP revolvers listed - maybe something their might tickle your fancy.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Any idea on where to get one of those 1917s? Anything to look for in terms of wear and tear?

Like someone said gunbroker and even better if Lou has one. Smith and Colt both did Model 1917 45ACP revolvers. The Brazilian contract guns just tend to be the best priced ones out there if you're looking for a functional yet historic weapon. Usual things to look for as far as cylinder timing, flame cutting on the frame, etc. Both are nice but the Colt is going to be more complicated to work on than the Smith if it ever does need attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom