• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Reading through this thread and two things struck me. The first being how many of the recommended places are out of business and two, how many of these I have worked in and are complete shit hole grease pits.

But if you don't know, then they are as spotless as an elementary school cafeteria. Bon apetite!

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Wife really likes 7556 Main Street Bistro in Sykesville. Haven’t had anything that wasn’t pretty good yet. Some interesting hot dogs at the place next door.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Didn’t read the entire thread, but OP, try the Oregon Grille in Hunt Valley - has always been a great restaurant. Convenient off I-83, in Hunt Valley, close to Reisterstown and Owings Mills.

Last edited:

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Reading through this thread and two things struck me. The first being how many of the recommended places are out of business and two, how many of these I have worked in and are complete shit hole grease pits.

But if you don't know, then they are as spotless as an elementary school cafeteria. Bon apetite!
    Funny you should say that. I worked one year in college part time for a restaurant supply house. It didn’t take long to realize there is no connection whatsoever with how things look in the dining room and how things look, and work, in the kitchen. I remember my boss one day talking kind of excitedly about how some of these fast food places were great for the restaurant business because he said so much of the cooking equipment was visible to the customers.

fredthe

MDS Supporter
    Oct 18, 2023
    Bowie, MD
    A favorite place of ours is Ethel's Creole Kitchen in Mt Washington. Hole in the wall type place but Chef Ed is excellent.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Didn’t read the entire thread, but OP, try the Oregon Grille in Hunt Valley - has always been a great restaurant. Convenient off I-83, in Hunt Valley, close to Reisterstown and Owings Mills.

Umm... Op was looking for suggestions 14 years ago, and hasn't been around for 4 years.

I do hope he found some food...

;)

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Umm... Op was looking for suggestions 14 years ago, and hasn't been around for 4 years.

I do hope he found some food...

;)
    Like I said, didn’t read the entire thread, just picked it up at page 5. Everyone else is still offering restaurant suggestions, figured I’d jump in. Sorry.

Ummm, sorry?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Like I said, didn’t read the entire thread, just picked it up at page 5. Everyone else is still offering restaurant suggestions, figured I’d jump in. Sorry.

Ummm, sorry?

Lol... no need to apologize, just thought it was funny because you addressed it to OP.

Suggestion is still valuable. :thumbsup:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

I don’t want details, just a heads up for places that I should definitely avoid lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Funny you should say that. I worked one year in college part time for a restaurant supply house. It didn’t take long to realize there is no connection whatsoever with how things look in the dining room and how things look, and work, in the kitchen. I remember my boss one day talking kind of excitedly about how some of these fast food places were great for the restaurant business because he said so much of the cooking equipment was visible to the customers.
    What the customers can't see is the floor, specifically all the employees sliding around on the grease, particularly in fast food joints. Real restaurants know the grease is a problem and put down those thick rubber non slip mats.

918058.jpg

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I don’t want details, just a heads up for places that I should definitely avoid lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately, like the absolute truth that is the Hot/Crazy Matrix, it's an inverse proportion. The cleaner the kitchen (think school cafeterias, military chow halls, etc...) the worse the quality of the food.

Now take that to the opposite end of the spectrum and the better the food......

The exception to the rule are the kitchens in asian restaurants which are across the board disgustingly filthy.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Wife really likes 7556 Main Street Bistro in Sykesville. Haven’t had anything that wasn’t pretty good yet. Some interesting hot dogs at the place next door.
    Small venue. Excellent food for sure.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    What the customers can't see is the floor, specifically all the employees sliding around on the grease, particularly in fast food joints. Real restaurants know the grease is a problem and put down those thick rubber non slip mats.

918058.jpg
    Yeah, it’s amazing. I remember riding along for an installation of a new Vulcan gas range to a place in Yorktown, Va. I asked the guy driving if it was a new restaurant and why only a range. He shrugged, didn’t know why. We got there and it turns out the health department had actually condemned their existing range and required it to be replaced.

It was absolutely disgusting. The grease on it was so thick in places that there were oyster shells imbedded in it, just coated in a thick layer of grease. The guy with me managed to get the gas regulators out of it, the rest went to the dump. A shame, those things will last forever with just a little care.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Unfortunately, like the absolute truth that is the Hot/Crazy Matrix, it's an inverse proportion. The cleaner the kitchen (think school cafeterias, military chow halls, etc...) the worse the quality of the food.

Now take that to the opposite end of the spectrum and the better the food......

The exception to the rule are the kitchens in asian restaurants which are across the board disgustingly filthy.
    My favorite Chinese food restaurant outside of Philadelphia is an absolute hole in the wall across from Ft Meade but she churns out food that blows away everyone in the area.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yeah, it’s amazing. I remember riding along for an installation of a new Vulcan gas range to a place in Yorktown, Va. I asked the guy driving if it was a new restaurant and why only a range. He shrugged, didn’t know why. We got there and it turns out the health department had actually condemned their existing range and required it to be replaced.

It was absolutely disgusting. The grease on it was so thick in places that there were oyster shells imbedded in it, just coated in a thick layer of grease. The guy with me managed to get the gas regulators out of it, the rest went to the dump. A shame, those things will last forever with just a little care.
    Believe it or not, I've seen worse, the IHOP in Timonium comes to mind. When that was renovated we discovered that apparently there was a gap behind one of the griddles that was allowing grease to get into the counter the griddle was sitting on. That small mountain of grease was literally 24" in diameter and sloped upwards towards the counter top which would put it at around 30" tall.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My favorite Chinese food restaurant outside of Philadelphia is an absolute hole in the wall across from Ft Meade but she churns out food that blows away everyone in the area.
    I'm sure the food is incredible and I'm also sure I know exactly what their kitchen looks like. Chinese restaurants, good or bad, are all completely disgusting. There is no ratio of clean to the quality of the food they pump out.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Bought food off the food truck parked in Piper's Liquor store parking lot. Got the steak,shrimp and chicken combo. The meat was cooked perfectly.The rice was good too. A little underspiced but I would definitely buy from them again.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

918058.jpg
    Every kitchen I worked in had those. We would have to clean them and mop the floors at the end of the day. That's not weird. I'd rather have those mats than slip while holding pot of boiling soup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom