• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    The PX-4 Storm Compact is hammer fired, not striker fired.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/px4-storm-compact/

I specifically purchased this for CCW because for ME, it has the right balance of features, weight, magazine capacity, grip, and concealability. BUT, as another poster suggested, this is a very personal choice. You should choose based on the features that are important to you and that permit you to conceal the weapon. A linebacker can easily carry a 1911, but place kicker may opt for a pocket pistol. There are a lot of highly rated/admired pistols that just don't float my boat for a variety of reasons. Had I not gone with the Beretta I would probably have opted for one of the M&P or Ruger lines.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    It doesn't matter what someone else's favorite firearm is. The guns you've listed are all pretty good. Try to get hands-on with as many of them as possible, and get the one that you shoot best.

This is true, but threads like this would be no fun if we all just posted this as a response to the OP!

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I have a Ruger LC9 and a Scandium 1911SC Bobtail by S&W.

What I've learned is it's got A LOT to do with the holster. Shockingly, I can now carry my 1911 SC more comfortably than my Ruger LC9 (unless the LC9 is in a front pocket holster -- but that's not the best choice for a car, tho). I have a Milt Sparks Nexus that I carry the 1911 in. It's a really nice holster, with my only worry being that it grabs the gun pretty tight, so it can be too hard to pull out. I think a lot of breaking-in is in order, and will reserve judgement on that until then. The LC9 is in a Remora or a pocket holster.

Here's a video review I did of the Nexus compared to the VM2:

The Ruger LC9 is a nice, thin pistol, but I never have shot it well. The trigger is quite heavy and loooong.

Maybe I'm weird, but after carrying different guns around, I really want to try a .38 Special with a medium barrel. Something like an old Model 10. Just have to find the right holster for it.

That, or my next buy might be a Glock 19 or 26 with a Kydex holster.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Go to a local range, rent a bunch of different guns, of different calibers.

Test fire them all, and see how you handle them.

Then, go buy a Glock 23 or 19 like everyone else in the world and kick yourself for wasting so much time deciding.

:)

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Normally I would agree with just about everything you have said here. But, the weight of my off duty Glocks have discouraged me from carrying in the past. They are heavy, and require a cover shirt and still show to some extent. My LCP is comfortable to always carry in my pocket. Hell, you can even carry it in your PJ's if that's something you care to do. My point is, any gun no matter it's size or power, is always better than no go.

I've read that the LCP is pretty manageable to fire proficiently and based on the looks of it, it looks like a pretty nice gun when form factor is of a concern.

While I have noticed a lot of smaller guns are hard to clear jams with, judging by the looks of the mag with the bottom grooves for finger leverage on a forced removal and how the magwell opens, plus the slide, it looks like it is possible to clear jams pretty fast...can it?

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I have a Glock 26 and recently picked up a Kahr CM9. I'm impressed with the Kahrs accuracy and ease to shoot. However, I am faster and more accurate with G26.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Go to a local range, rent a bunch of different guns, of different calibers.

Test fire them all, and see how you handle them.

Then, go buy a Glock 23 or 19 like everyone else in the world and kick yourself for wasting so much time deciding.

:)

Lol...

Most people end up getting a GLOCK or 2 or 5 eventually. Why delay the inevitable?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Paladin

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Feb 23, 2011
    Carry either the M&P 9 compact or the Ruger LCR 38. Depends on the situation and how I'm dressing. Always use a holster when with the LCR as inside pocket can be interesting otherwise.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    somebody ^^^ needs M&P detox!

That's nothin! I have 7:

9 standard (house ready gun)
    9 5 inch pro (IDPA SSP, USPSA production)
    9 shield with 40 conversion (summer carry)
    45 standard (IDPA CDP)
    22 (cheap fun, new shooter trainer)
    40 compact with 9 conversion (winter carry)
    40 core with 9 conversion (soon to be USPSA open gun)

Wish I had another Pro to build into a USPSA limited gun.

OP, I think you see my vote.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Glock 26, Ruger SP101, and Beretta Nano are all excellent choices. If you can stand a little larger size the Glock 30S and Glock 19 are also excellent choices.

Since you mentioned the Sig P229 and P239 I would go for the P229 it's not that much larger and it carries a lot more rounds. Then again a Glock 26 rates up there too. Just make sure you purchase a strong well made belt, a thin weak belt is for fashion not to hang a holster and firearm from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom