• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    Hi, im relatively new around here. Im looking for a 357, what do you folks recomend? primarily home defense, but want to go to the range as well. Thanks!

stank

Lifes Good
    Oct 20, 2008
    Pasadena
    Ruger gp-100. Its my only experience with 357's but I like it plenty. I went with the 4" barrell and its pretty accurate at the range, getting more accurate every time out.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    An old police service revolver I hear are great buys.
    As for new, there is a good selection ranging from hunting revolvers to hammerless concealed carry or lightweights (Titanium or Aluminum frames).
    From what I hear, even the hammerless concealed carry revolvers can be fun at the range.
    But I think the wheel gun guys will come along to this thread with better info for ya. :)

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Ruger gp-100. Its my only experience with 357's but I like it plenty. I went with the 4" barrell and its pretty accurate at the range, getting more accurate every time out.

Couldn't agree more. The Smith and Wesson's are more refined perhaps and the Taurus (Brazillian built) are cheaper, but the Rugers are tanks and thier customer service is top notch if you need it. I have the GP-100 with a 4" barrel. I can't say enough good things about that gun, maybe my favorite that I own.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Sportscar (S&W 686)
    164222_large.jpg

Pickup truck (Ruger GP100)
    ruger_gp100_4in_357fl.jpg

economy car (Taurus 66)
    66SS4.jpg

classic muscle car (colt python) out of production
    colt_python.jpg

IMO the best 357 for home defense, and the most versatile is a medium framed 4" barreled double action. Concealment is not really an issue, so there is really no benefit in the shorter and smaller guns, and longer barrels are a little more cumbersome, slower to point and line up the sights at HD ranges. This is the formula for most of the revolvers with a proven track record of reliable performance with police departments and military forces. I belive all 3 still making them have at least 2 different frame sizes offered for 357 revolvers, with the listed models being the heavier framed guns to soak up recoil and last longer with a life of heavy 357 loads, where lighter 38special loads are genuinely pleasant and mild for most anyone to shoot.

All will go bang reliably, all are plenty accurate, with the Ruger and S&W having the best customer service, the Colt having the best trigger, the Ruger being the strongest, and the Taurus being far cheaper than all the others. The Smith is the smoothest and most accurate still in current production, a little lighter than the others, points naturally, and has an overall tighter fit with smoother machining than the others, with a good trigger job it is heaven on earth, after firing a few thousand rounds the action becomes as smooth as glass. If you want probably the smoothest and easiest to shoot out of the box 357 still in production, the racecar of the bunch is the 686 SSR version.

The Ruger is built like a bank vault, and can take even the hottest handloads without breaking a sweat, it is heavier than the smith, a little clunkier and a hair bit rougher, but still machined well, and with a decent trigger job can have a better trigger than the Smith. It is also usually cheaper. The cylinder release button presses inward, as oposed to sliding forward on the Taurus and Smith, or pulled back on the Colt, some like this better, some don't. It also does not house the works under a sideplate like the S&W or Taurus, the lockwork is inserted through the handle, leaving the rear section of the frame a solid single peice. The Taurus and Smiths lockwork is easier to get to, where the sideplate is held in place by 3 screws, but being a separate peice, the design flexes a little more, and is the reason the Ruger is tougher, the design is simply stronger.

The Taurus is a good revolver for the money most of the time, there seem to be a more lemons than the other brands, Taurus customer service is average, and they will fix it, but it may take a few weeks compared to Ruger or S&W fixing it and returning it within a few days. The machining is far rougher than the Ruger or Smith, and the factory trigger is a gritty mess compared to the other two, a trigger job will bring it about up to the level of a factory Ruger, and after a few hundred rounds it smooths up a good bit. The steel is softer than the other two, and is easier to scratch, it is built lighter than the Ruger, but lacks the precise machining and quality materials of the either, so it can get out of timing easier, and lockup gets a little looser at high round counts with hot loads (usually over 10,000). However, they are surprisingly accurate and comfortable, and costs much less than the Smith or even the Ruger.

The Colt is a genuine functional masterpeice, the gun is near perfection out of the box, the trigger is smooth as glass, and only gets better with time, lockup is tight, accuracy is superb, and the finish is a quality not seen on the newer models, an older Colt has the feel of a single solid peice of metal, with an action as precise as a fine watch, this is my favorite out of the 4, and the only model I have never owned, but have fired about a half dozen examples. I hope to own one, but they are only getting harder to find being they have been out of production for a while, and good examples of the Colt "snake guns" are getting more expensive as time goes on. Seems like every time I can fit one in the budget, they are nowhere to be found, and every time I find one, I can't afford the nearly $1000 price tag for a mint condition used one.

Last edited:

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Should keep an eye out for a SW M27, M28 or 627 if you like something in a N-frame(larger than a 686)

M19 or 66 with a 4" barrel is a great gun but not for fullhouse 357 loads but for HD you may want to use a 38 +P anyway.

Right now, I now I have a GP100 3" and 4" and they've never given me a lick of trouble either for carry or training students on the range.

Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Good review alucard.
    Does anyone know how the Rossi brand, made by Taurus, compares to the other Taurus branded revolvers? We've got a new 357 that seems pretty nice, but I'm new to all this and some opinions would be welcomed.
    Thanks!

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Good review alucard.
    Does anyone know how the Rossi brand, made by Taurus, compares to the other Taurus branded revolvers? We've got a new 357 that seems pretty nice, but I'm new to all this and some opinions would be welcomed.
    Thanks!

Rossi is junk! Spend your money wisely and go with the Ruger or Taurus, if you have the extra bucks and don't mind spending it then go with the Smith.

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    Cant wait to go pick it up next week, and go to the range. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I went to Gun Connection today and decide to go with the "pick up truck" Ruger GP 100.
    Cant wait to go pick it up next week, and go to the range. Thanks for all the help!

:party29::thumbsup::party29:

Good call. Do you have any revolver shooting experience?

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    I went to Gun Connection today and decide to go with the "pick up truck" Ruger GP 100.

Thanks for your business!!! Because of the upcoming holiday, please call before you come out to pick up your gun.:D:thumbsup:

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    When I first got into shooting 15 years ago, i didn't have a lot of money and the only 357 I could afford was a Taurus.

I have had it since then with out a problem & it has a lifetime warranty

you should be very happy with your Ruger

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom