• ...and so much more!
  • EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Did I just hear a banjo ???

.45-70

20080512_BFR_Hildo.jpg

FYI ... Gun Connection has a Ruger Blackhawk 'combo' .357/9mm if you're looking to 'expand' your calibers. Great two-for-one deal on sale.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not that I'm hating on .44s and .41s , but giving fuller picture to .45LC capabilities.

(In a state not Md ) I've used 255swcs at 1,000-ish fps , and felt well armed with sensable distance and placement. That happened to be with a Blackhawk , but was coincidence. The once Classic load of Unique I used is now considered slightly hot for SAA. But similar vels are achievable with both 4227 and PowerPistol at pressures suitable for late model SAAs , and quality clones.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    Blackhawk grip( XR3 & XR3RED )- closest of Ruger grips to SAA. Points naturally much like SAA , works for most hand sizes , comfortable up to a "certain level" of recoil. "For Me" includes .41 Mag, YMMV .

Super Blackhawk (aka Dragoon)- longer , more flared at bottom, square backed trigger gaurd. Nearly 50/50 odds that heavy loads will slam the square edge into second knuckle, causing pain.

Bisley - Closer to Freedom Arms , or Keith #5 shape, than Colt's Bisley. Easier on hand with Really, Really heavy loads. Prefered shape for .475 , .500 conversions , etc. The angle , feel , and balance are "different". Some people like , some dislike , some indifferent. " For Me" it is for specialived application for delibert long range use with heavyest handloads. But prefer regular Blackhawk for all around use.

Vaquero - fixed sights. Not nesecarrily a bad thing if you do most of your shooting with loads having similar POI . Almost all have Blackhawk grip , a few made with Bisley.
    Thanks- that is the type of info I'm lookin for. Sounds like the Bisley makes most sense if it is easier on the hand,since we are talkin about magnums. I need to find somewhere to check them out in person- so far only saw supe rblackhawk and blackhawk at gun connection.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    so far only saw supe rblackhawk and blackhawk at gun connection.

Ask Dan if he has any Bisley's. He USUALLY has one or two in stock. I'd offer to meet up with you, but I'd be kidding myself that I have any free time to get to the range.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    Ask Dan if he has any Bisley's. He USUALLY has one or two in stock. I'd offer to meet up with you, but I'd be kidding myself that I have any free time to get to the range.
    I will make a call to Dan! Thank's for the thoughts on meeting up, I totally understand the time thing, but if you get the time...Speaking of which I gotta get off this puter and head to the range! .38's and 9x18 this a.m.:)

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    Have you thought about a FN 5.7?????
    Until just recently I hadn't heard of that one. I checked it out on wikipedia, you tube and read some reviews. It certainly is interesting, both pro and con. Thanks for thinking of this one, I hadn't, and no one else mentioned it. I have no illlusions of ccw for myself, and have kind of set my mind on a wheel gun, not really into semi's and polymers. Haviing said that I'll probably end up with a Glock with a 30 round clip...not..:D

NHaze

Mar 15, 2011
    Shepherdstown, WV
    +1 .357

Also, Taurus Raging Judge. .410, 45LC, or .454 from the same gun. Check it out

Edit - They may have changed the name on the one that fires .454's. Apparently the Raging Judge is a 28 gauge... but who knows

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Nothing wrong with that at all but what will the brass and odd dies cost? If it isn't cost prohibitive and once one is set it's a great thing to do.

I do not know the current cost of it. I was given all of my grandfathers powder/brass/dies and reloading equipment when he passed away. He said he already reloads so he got the main cost out of the way. It is a really flat @$$ kicking round that can put some big holes in anything you so choose!

fisunshine

Feb 17, 2010
    i want to say somewhere in the area of 5k rounds before you start seeing the savings in reloading.
    some people are more into it than others and that is a lot of rounds. for some it may seem like 20 years of reloading to save a nickel

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BuffaloBrent

Latest threads

Top Bottom