• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas

Don't forget Sting. A xiphos sword would work well too.

Attachments

• Glowingsting2.jpg
      Glowingsting2.jpg
      14.2 KB · Views: 237

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    To they people that have these longer blades... how do you sharpen them? I'm fairly proficient at keeping my KaBar and smaller knives sharp. I just take the longer blades in smaller sections. Is this what you'd do for a 20 inch blade... or even something longer? Is it more efficient to do this on some sort of a wheel?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    To they people that have these longer blades... how do you sharpen them? I'm fairly proficient at keeping my KaBar and smaller knives sharp. I just take the longer blades in smaller sections. Is this what you'd do for a 20 inch blade... or even something longer? Is it more efficient to do this on some sort of a wheel?
    Belt sander is by far the best way.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I think the rapier might have too long a blade for close in work... ie, think about inside a halfway of your house. I'm looking at 18 to 25 inch blades...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Also keep in mind proper/ desired edge geometry is different for a sword than knives.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama

A "sharp" sword is not a razor but it should cut you if you slide your hand on the edge. Draw file and coarse Arkansas stone is good enough.

Belt sander is by far the best way.

Seriously? 1000 grit???

Not a hand held belt sander, it's a stationary machine. 220 or 320 is high enough grit. 1000 would polish the edge, you want some tooth.

What about the epee de combat? (Epee) Purely a thrusting weopon, but quide deadly... Right? Rapier?

Epee and rapier are two different animals. A true rapier can cut.

Also keep in mind proper/ desired edge geometry is different for a sword than knives.

Yep!

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    A "sharp" sword is not a razor but it should cut you if you slide your hand on the edge. Draw file and coarse Arkansas stone is good enough.

Not a hand held belt sander, it's a stationary machine. 220 or 320 is high enough grit. 1000 would polish the edge, you want some tooth.

Epee and rapier are two different animals. A true rapier can cut.

Yep!

But, both are thrusting weapons, right? I see them as being effective for the distance they provide and their piercing nature. Yeah, if the aggressor gets past the thrust you'll have to handle them a bit differently, but dual-wield approach comes to mind. (Rapier & Dagger)

Last edited:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    What about the epee de combat? (Epee) Purely a thrusting weopon, but quide deadly... Right? Rapier?

An epee or smallsword can be quite lethal...if you know how to use one. As in at least a year of fencing classes, preferably more.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Give me a 12"-15" machete with a point like a Barong or Bowie machete. Why limit yourself with just hacking or just stabbing when you can do both.
    I keep a Barong machete in the umbrella stand near the front door and one bedside.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I keep a smaller sized cheap Khukri and cheap spring steel machete by the door, for when someone sketchy knocks during the daytime. At night, a bayonet mounted Mosin, j/k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Glad to see Skallagrim get a mention here on MDS.

He's a big proponent of ending your foes rightly.

fa603298a4488cda2fa9f41ac488ab4884429a1433a1639b3e655444ca422082_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom