• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    10mm, 135gr @1600fps from a Glock 20 will reach out beyond 100yd beautifully, very flat as is the .357mag. As will a high-velocity .40S&W projectile from a Glock 22/23.

I have no doubt that you could "lob" one of them into the bull on a 600m target with relative repeatability, especially on a range with little crosswind. The drop is going to be big (three or four feet?) but it's all physics.

It helps greatly if you have a reference point to set your sights on, rather than the target itself. Something big with a sharp corner and high contrast. Otherwise, the limiting factor I feel is the sights on the pistol. Combat-effective sights aren't always the best for precision shots and vice-versa.

Regardless it's a ton of fun, and even more so if you put down a few $5 bills with your buddies.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    The drop will be closer to 35 or 40 feet at that distance, not "three or four". Actually, it will probably be over 40 ft with any normal ammo at 600 or 700 yds, but even if you custom made a 10mm BTHP, you'd be dropping a minimum of 35 or 40.

You'd probably be better off with a 180 gr or 200 gr at that distance than a 135 gr anyway, better BC if nothing else, and I never have been able to get 135 gr bullets to shoot tight groups from a 10mm at 25 yds, let alone 600-700m. 150 gr is about the lightest 10mm that shoots well for me.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Hah, yeah I meant yards and typed feet. Still barely in the ballpark though, I ran it through a BC and the drop at 600yd is nearly 50ft for a low-drag projectile.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    My Long range service pistol is back from the gunsmith. The Glock34 is now wearing a slide mounted Burris fastfire 3. I'm going to be using Fiochi 158 grain FMJ ( doubles as suppressor loads) for some long range pistol shooting. There may is talk of heavier loads being developed right now ( 168 grains), that may be the ticket.

Everything on this pistol is stock, with exception to the fastfire 3 and tall suppressor sights.
    She is due for a match threaded barrel and a fulcrum trigger upgrade

I have not shot it yet.. will do a range report later on.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
      IMG_0014.jpg
      33.6 KB · Views: 123

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    at 700 yards... It may leave a mark..alright, maybe break skin....To be honest, dont really know.. I can not find data of anyone being deliberately shot with a pistol at that distance.

If I can be proficient at minute of empty coke can at 100 yards.. I'll be a happy camper. Got to catch up with Brad , Al and Hvymax.

Elmer Keith supposedly hit a mule deer at 660 yards with a 4" barreled Smith in .44 special.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    Hehe, everytime I come across this thread, I think of the scene in Wanted with the long range bullet that comes apart in stages along the several mile trip.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    A friend of mine was an infantryman in 1st Cav and he always talked about how his commander was fanatical about pistols and training the unit with them. Well he was home on leave and we wet up to a range with several gongs, the farthest being a torso sized steel gong a 250 yards. My friend gets out of the car, with a USP Tactical 45 wit s Gemtech suppressor and put a trouble tap center mass in that farthest gong. Now he's done that before, but we usually walk it out and it takes a minute or two. He dropped the slide and double tapped like it was at 20 feet. 2 other members here witnessed it. He was crazy talented before the Army but now he's a monster. I wonder if his skills have slipped since he got out...now he's into cars..sold me all his guns!

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    50 and 100 yds with my Springfield XD9. It is a lot of fun.

I was shooting with the groundhog man at the AGC last year and he had his Ruger .22 with a scope. He was shooting 3" steel plates with it at 100 yds.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The RMR Glocks have exposed that the standard Glock triggers are inadequate for precision shooting. Cant really ask much more from a stock combat pistol.

Now... the search is on for a reliable and safe trigger modification for the Glocks. I'm hoping to get a consistent 3.5lb trigger with mimimal over. pre travel.

Jbenfer

Apr 14, 2011
    Anyone ever thought of the 5.7x28 its a darn fast an flat shooting round I get 1400~1460 fps

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Anyone ever thought of the 5.7x28 its a darn fast an flat shooting round I get 1400~1460 fps

it is a flat shooting round. with no holdover at 100 yards. But the point of long distance pistol shooting with a duty handgun is to acquire better shooting skills with standard issued equipment. Pushing the envelope to the extreme.

No 22wmr, 17hmr, 5.56 pistols etc... only service type pistols.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    Everytime I read this thread, I keep picturing the sniper shot from Wanted with the bullet that has different stages that fell away.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    How do you think 'Wanted' got the idea... ;)

That's why he tiger-striped his 1911, so no one would see the round during it's developmental stage. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom