• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peaceMaker45

Jan 3, 2018
    Baltimore
    Hi all,

I've been reading a lot of the threads on this site and others about how to legally obtain some guns that are being gifted to me from my family in PA. My grandfather passed away last year and left the estate to my Grandmother. She asked if I would like to take his old guns. Included in the collection are: Remington 870, Marlin 336c and a .22 bolt action rifle.

From what I have read, I know that I have to go through an FFL since this would be considered a gift from out of state.

My question is, can I have my Grandmother bring the guns down to MD the next time she visits and then go to the FFL with her and have the transfer done here in MD rather than having her ship them from a PA FFL to MD FFL?

I had one FFL dealer tell me it was fine to do it this way, but I'm just not interested in being on the wrong side of the law when it comes to guns.

In the interest of self preservation, I have not accepted the guns yet. Will do so once I'm 100% sure of how to do it according to the law.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Granny can put the long guns in her vehicle, drive to Maryland, meet you at the FFL of your choice, and complete the transfer.

I would recommend they be in cases. Just in case she's pulled over.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It is 100% legal for Granny to drive * those * guns to the FFL of your choice .

Some FFLs as a matter of their personal druthers do not care to recieve firearms from private individuals. Double check with your local/ prefered FFL . Fewer of them would have issues with recieving from live person physically standing in their establishment , than would recieving shipments from private persons .

If you don't yet have a prefered FFL to deal with , go to the Industry Partners section of Maryland Shooters , and speak with a cpl of the IP's . They are friendlier and more knowledgeable than the average gun dealer .

Welcome !

If you stop by the Introductions subforum , and introduce yourself , you will recieve warm greetings , useful information, and helpful links even more quickly than in the current thread .

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Some FFLs as a matter of their personal druthers do not care to receive firearms from private individuals. Double check with your local/ prefered FFL . Fewer of them would have issues with recieving from live person physically standing in their establishment , than would recieving shipments from private persons .

If you don't yet have a prefered FFL to deal with , go to the Industry Partners section of Maryland Shooters , and speak with a cpl of the IP's . They are friendlier and more knowledgeable than the average gun dealer .

Clarification:

Receive by mail or carrier.

Jimdick2949

Aug 19, 2014
    Frostburg, Maryland
    Long guns are exempt from registration after the initial background check with NICS check when originally bought The only guns that need to be registered is handguns. She can bring them down and give them to you. It would be advised to have them unloaded and locked in the trunk.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    A now banned firearm purchased out of state before 10-1-13 must be registered within 90 days of establishing residency in MD.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Or, since they are long guns not on the "Too Evil for Maryland" list, on you next visit you and Grandma can go to a PA FFL and take care of the legalities up there.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Long guns are exempt from registration after the initial background check with NICS check when originally bought The only guns that need to be registered is handguns. She can bring them down and give them to you. It would be advised to have them unloaded and locked in the trunk.

Can a Pennsylvanian just hand long guns to a Marylander?

I always thought long guns had to be exchanged between people living in the same state.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No, the handgun must be transferred to an FFL in the recipients state of residence. Some FFL's won't accept a firearm if not shipped by an FFL in the sellers/gifters state.

Check with your FFL.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Long guns must go through an FFL in either her state or the recipients state. FTF transfers of a long gun between residents of two different states is illegal.

Gifting of a handgun requires an FFL in the recipients state of residence.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Can a Pennsylvanian just hand long guns to a Marylander?

I always thought long guns had to be exchanged between people living in the same state.

Long gun transfers between residents of different states must go through an FFL in either state.

Only FTF transfers between residents of the same state is legal

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Or an FFL in a third state even.

The long gun has to be legal in the state of transfer and the state of residence of the recipient.

Jimdick2949

Aug 19, 2014
    Frostburg, Maryland
    This is the information on long guns per the Maryland State Police.

Sales of long guns are not regulated and do not require registration. We recommend that the private parties involved complete a bill of sale and to have it notarized. Dealers can sell long guns to residents of an adjacent state so long as the long gun is legal in that state. A dealer who has a banned assault weapon and an out of state resident is interested in purchasing would have to ship that banned assault weapon to an FFL of that state as long as it's legal in that state.

Please review PS 5-204 and comply with all Federal laws

Jimdick2949

Aug 19, 2014
    Frostburg, Maryland
    Sales of long guns are not regulated and do not require registration. We recommend that the private parties involved complete a bill of sale and to have it notarized. Dealers can sell long guns to residents of an adjacent state so long as the long gun is legal in that state. A dealer who has a banned assault weapon and an out of state resident is interested in purchasing would have to ship that banned assault weapon to an FFL of that state as long as it's legal in that state.

Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2012
    Sunny Southwest Florida

But he still needs to comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, a federal law that requires all interstate transfers to go through an FFL, long gun or handgun. The state may not care, but the BATFE certainly does.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    GCA 68 as amended by FOPA 86. :D

GCA 68 only allowed receipt of a long gun in an adjacent state. FOPA 86 allowed any state for long guns.

peaceMaker45

Jan 3, 2018
    Baltimore
    Thanks for all the input guys. I found an FFL fairly close to me that is willing to do the transfer later this month when Grandma brings the guns down :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom