Long distance firearm collection acquisition - ship or drive and pick up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    My Great Aunt was living in Georgia and came to visit. She told me that after her 3rd husband had died he had a bunch of guns and she didn't know what to do with them so she gave them to the local police. I nearly shit a brick... I would have hopped in my car and been there before sunrise to pick them up before I let some local cop "lose" them in the holding room. The late husband had money too, so I know there were some nice pieces in there. She said maybe 10-12 guns. I'm still pissed off thinking about it. Like the time my grandfather sold his Holland and Holland .470 nitro double rifle to buy my mother a new car. The rifle is still worth $30K+ and the car is in a junkyard somewhere. The H&H could have gone with me to Africa... FML

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    My Great Aunt was living in Georgia and came to visit. She told me that after her 3rd husband had died he had a bunch of guns and she didn't know what to do with them so she gave them to the local police. I nearly shit a brick... I would have hopped in my car and been there before sunrise to pick them up before I let some local cop "lose" them in the holding room. The late husband had money too, so I know there were some nice pieces in there. She said maybe 10-12 guns. I'm still pissed off thinking about it. Like the time my grandfather sold his Holland and Holland .470 nitro double rifle to buy my mother a new car. The rifle is still worth $30K+ and the car is in a junkyard somewhere. The H&H could have gone with me to Africa... FML

I thought that was what happened here. I was living out of state when my grandfather passed. I inquired about his guns and was told my ultra liberal aunt through marriage took them all to the Parkville police precinct for destruction. 10 years later after my grandmother passed my aunt told me she had saved most of the guns and hid them in her house. She was going to drive out to Colorado and deliver them to me this fall so she could see the aspen leaves changing colors, but now she is getting divorced and wants me to get them as soon as I can. My grandfather was a WWII vet. I've got pictures of him shooting his M1 Garand at a range and he is in a lot of photos with his 1911. He loved 45acp. I found some 7mm and 30-06 brass in their basement. I don't know what else there is.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I thought that was what happened here. I was living out of state when my grandfather passed. I inquired about his guns and was told my ultra liberal aunt through marriage took them all to the Parkville police precinct for destruction. 10 years later after my grandmother passed my aunt told me she had saved most of the guns and hid them in her house. She was going to drive out to Colorado and deliver them to me this fall so she could see the aspen leaves changing colors, but now she is getting divorced and wants me to get them as soon as I can. My grandfather was a WWII vet. I've got pictures of him shooting his M1 Garand at a range and he is in a lot of photos with his 1911. He loved 45acp. I found some 7mm and 30-06 brass in their basement. I don't know what else there is.

Are you still here?

With those guns in possession of your ultra liberal aunt, they are at risk of who knows what.

Get to the airport and fly out there to rescue them NOW!

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Are you still here?

With those guns in possession of your ultra liberal aunt, they are at risk of who knows what.

Get to the airport and fly out there to rescue them NOW!

Two different aunts. My good aunt knew the bad aunt would try to destroy them so she took them out of hte house one and two at a time. When the bad aunt finally went looking, there were only a few left that she took for destruction. The others were in the good aunt's house.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Don't forget to post a notice for a ride share:

Seriously, good luck. Give us an update after you do an inventory.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Yeah I wouldn't let them sit around too long. It's a shame when guns are turned in to be destroyed. It makes my heart hurt. Like the story of the lady who turned in the Stg 44 and had no idea what it was or what it was worth. I wish that had been my aunt or relative who asked me to look at it and then find it a good home... My grandfather in law sold me all his firearms, my grandmother in law who thinks Hillary Clinton is a demigod wanted him to have them destroyed. We have interesting dinner conversation when she brings up politics and guns.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Two different aunts. My good aunt knew the bad aunt would try to destroy them so she took them out of hte house one and two at a time. When the bad aunt finally went looking, there were only a few left that she took for destruction. The others were in the good aunt's house.

Phew, sigh of relief...

You had me worried there.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    If you stay in a motel you'd have to carry all of the guns in with you. If you sleep in the car you're right there with them.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    There was a thread a few months ago about this and IIRC, an FFL is not needed for an inheritance of firearms even in a different state. Might be worth a call to an attorney.
    I just saw that Tyler Firearms would do it at no charge, that's always an option. (Heck of a nice gesture by the way)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom