• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    So this may be a dumb question but I am new to hunting. Can you bow hunt at Loch Raven during Firearm season? I was under the impression bow was open from Mid-September until the end of January. However looking at the calendar it shows it as being closed for when muzzleloader and firearm seasons are open. I know the lesser weapon makes it where you can buy the season for each weapon and still use a bow in all season. However since Loch Raven is only Bow and on the website it says open only during bow season, does that mean it closes during the other seasons?

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Yes, but wear an orange vest and hat.

Yes, I did see that but again with Loch Raven being Bow Only, what would be the reason for having to wear a vest during firearm season? Thanks for the reply though. Am I okay with just my Bow license or do I need the purcahse the $6 for Firearm and $6 for Muzzleloader if I bowhunt during those seasons at Loch Raven?

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    My understanding is that you don't need to pay for the other stamps if you're not using those weapons, but since that is a unique place, you might just call the DNR to be sure. A quick call will set your mind at ease. An uneasy mind while sitting waiting for deer for # hours is no fun. Since it's bow only you might not need orange, but personally I'd at least keep it in my bag just in case I heard a shot. I've hunted some of the duck seasons that overlap with firearm deer seasons and was once caught out with no orange on public land and regretted it.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    My understanding is that you don't need to pay for the other stamps if you're not using those weapons, but since that is a unique place, you might just call the DNR to be sure. A quick call will set your mind at ease. An uneasy mind while sitting waiting for deer for # hours is no fun. Since it's bow only you might not need orange, but personally I'd at least keep it in my bag just in case I heard a shot. I've hunted some of the duck seasons that overlap with firearm deer seasons and was once caught out with no orange on public land and regretted it.

Gotcha, I planned on taking the orange with me. I will give DNR a call tomorrow to see what their answer is, I guess I will ask about the orange as well. I appreciate the help, I figured I would ask here before a call to DNR, I usually get great info here.

madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    Yes, I did see that but again with Loch Raven being Bow Only, what would be the reason for having to wear a vest during firearm season? Thanks for the reply though. Am I okay with just my Bow license or do I need the purcahse the $6 for Firearm and $6 for Muzzleloader if I bowhunt during those seasons at Loch Raven?

I did not know there was a hunting license for bow only. Thought you had to buy the license then a bow and/or muzzleloader stamp. I'll check this out. Maybe I read it wrong.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I did not know there was a hunting license for bow only. Thought you had to buy the license then a bow and/or muzzleloader stamp. I'll check this out. Maybe I read it wrong.

Maybe I confused you with the way I worded it. I have the MD license (24.50) + $6 Bow stamp, thats what I meant by Bow License. I was asking if I had to purchase the Other two stamps ML & Gun if I hunted Bow at Loch Raven during those seasons and if it was even allowed during those seasons since they dont allow either.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Yes you can hunt during firearms season, yes you must wear orange. You do also need your bow stamp ND muzzle loader stamp if hunting during that time frame.

Gotcha, Thanks for the clarification. I already sent a question via email to the DNR to get the answer to both questions. I will see what they say and can't hurt to have it in writing.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Maybe I confused you with the way I worded it. I have the MD license (24.50) + $6 Bow stamp, thats what I meant by Bow License. I was asking if I had to purchase the Other two stamps ML & Gun if I hunted Bow at Loch Raven during those seasons and if it was even allowed during those seasons since they dont allow either.

My impression that you need to have ML and Gun stamp purchased in order to hunt during ML and Gun seasons with bow. If you go to places where others can hunt with ML or Gun you must wear the orange. But in archery only places you can hunt without orange.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    My impression that you need to have ML and Gun stamp purchased in order to hunt during ML and Gun seasons with bow. If you go to places where others can hunt with ML or Gun you must wear the orange. But in archery only places you can hunt without orange.

To me that makes sense about the orange because there is no chance of people hunting with firearms/ML so there would really be no reason for orange (well the reason it is intended I should say). The season thing is kind of weird to me because it is a bow only area but you are almost buying the season to bow hunt in that bow hunting area during ML/Firearm. It is not really using the lesser weapon but hunting a lesser weapon area if that makes any sense. Still haven't heard back from DNR yet. Will post once I do.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Think about monetary issue. They always want more money. That's why you need to purchase ML and Gun stamp :)

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I want to say that if you shoot a buck with a bow during gun season you got to check it in as if you shot it with a gun. But I could be wrong on that one

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Here is the answer I received:

Thank you for contacting the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. Archery hunting is allowed in Loch Raven Reservoir during the shotgun and muzzleloader seasons. Your full season hunting license already covers you during the shotgun season. You would have to purchase the muzzleloader stamp to hunt during the muzzleloader season.

Even though you are hunting with a bow anything you harvest during the firearms seasons will count towards that season's bag limit. You also must remember to wear hunter orange during those seasons.

If you have any additional questions feel free to give us a call at the Gwynnbrook Office at 410-356-9272.

Candice Haskin

Natural Resource Biologist
    DNR - Wildlife & Heritage Service
    410-356-9272

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    For some reason I thought I saw a $6 Firearm stamp but I must have just imagined that. It looks like the $24.50 season license covers for firearm season and the bow and ML are $6 stamps each.

On a more positive note, I am no longer going to have to bow hunt this weekend as I am going to be hunting a buddy's 180 acre private land where he has 6 stands already set up and its just me and him going this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom