• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    After the services today we had a presentation in the chapel delivered by one of the elders.
    I learned the church was erected five years before George Washington became the first President of our nation.
    How the church of England regulated the practice of worship. Who the lands grants were issued to and by whom and when.
    History just prior to and following the civil war and then into the twentieth century and today in modern times as we know it.
    Pretty interesting to me when I thought about the whole of it later on.
    Just thought I would go on about it for a minute or two.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Very interesting.
    Thanks Out Rider.
    I could see and learned where evidence of the construction methods were verified by the way they were performed.
    Like tool marks from saws, joining for the timbers and differing nails used in construction from different periods of our nations early times all the way through the Victorian period.
    Forged nails and machine made taxed nails and what not from the old country.
    Milk paint, a crude blue print for layout carved into one of the corner beams just like a cornerstone
    They came from all over to check it out and learn/ witness the historical aspects for the knowledge keeping and preservation efforts for elsewhere if there was a need.
    Services are every other Sunday and the meeting house next door is used more frequently for gatherings.
    Theirs going to be chicken and dumplings with Heroes Haven folks towards the end of February which will be a nice thing for all I think.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    We are in an old movie theater in Glen Burnie (burnout) little to no history. Neat that your church is standing and thriving hopefully for many more years to come.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks Out Rider.
    I could see and learned where evidence of the construction methods were verified by the way they were performed.
    Like tool marks from saws, joining for the timbers and differing nails used in construction from different periods of our nations early times all the way through the Victorian period.
    Forged nails and machine made taxed nails and what not from the old country.
    Milk paint, a crude blue print for layout carved into one of the corner beams just like a cornerstone
    They came from all over to check it out and learn/ witness the historical aspects for the knowledge keeping and preservation efforts for elsewhere if there was a need.
    Services are every other Sunday and the meeting house next door is used more frequently for gatherings.
    Theirs going to be chicken and dumplings with Heroes Haven folks towards the end of February which will be a nice thing for all I think.
    I've always been interested in archeology. Modern archeology always adds a particular touch to the subject. All my fore bearers are antebellum civil war, so I am envious of folks who can trace their lineage back to the birth of our nation. I love crawling around in old American 'ruins'. I sit back and wonder, how much history these old barns and farm houses have witnessed. If those old timbers could only talk.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    In my Presbyterian church this morning, we sang the theme song from Davey and Goliath.

A Mighty Fortress made my formerly Lutheran heart glad!

(The building was built around 2000. There's no history.)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Some additional history also on the DelMarVa peninsula.

Just up the road from me is Rock United Presbyterian Church founded in 1720 the current church was built in 1761 and it was remodeled in 1844 and again in 1900, the church still has no electric service.

Link to their webpage:

Link to the church history published in 1872:

Older yet and not far away is the Brick Meetinghouse a Friends (Quaker) meeting house. The land was set aside by William Penn in 1702 and a log meeting house was built in 1709. The log structure was replace with the existing brick section in 1724 and the stone section was added in 1751 the latest cloakroom addition was added in the mid 1800's. There is a lot of history there.

Link to Wikipedia entry:

Link to National Registry of Historic Places Inventory Form (detailed description and pictures):

For thirty some years I have rented a part of a historic bank barn built in 1826, where I board my horse, so I see history every single day.

Link to photograph of the Beers barn as it was in 1926, it's 100th anniversary:

Link to the Maryland Architectural Survey File for the Beers complex which includes the barn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom