• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbrussell

Jan 5, 2013
    Cockeysville, MD
    I am looking for a local AR-15 gunsmith who can convert my AR-15 to a reciprocating side charger by installing a bolt knob on my carrier and milling out the frame. Any suggestions?

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Maybe try Scotts Gunsmithing in Glen Burnie. Have you looked into buying a stripped side charging upper instead of modifying your current one?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Most examples I've seen were not very good. You normally have to be able to remove the knob in order to remove the bolt carrier, and in there lies the rub. They tend not to be very hardy, given they screw directly into the side of the carrier. Remember, you will need to exert a lot of pressure on that knob, should you have a malfunction. There is no other way to clear the gun via 'mortaring', which in most cases can result in breaking the knob off.

There is one version I've seen made by Bear Creek(not necessarily known for quality) that looks a little better than the run-of-the-mill reciprocating side chargers. It comes with an already cut receiver and though pricey, it is likely less expensive than having a smith customize and retrofit an existing carrier and receiver. It is OOS for the moment but has good reviews. You might give them a shout to get an idea on the wait time.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/ar-15/ar-15-receiver/upperreceiver-sidecharging.html

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Fairly easy to do yourself if you have a drill press with a milling vice. Not local but, White Oak Armament is an option.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Most examples I've seen were not very good. You normally have to be able to remove the knob in order to remove the bolt carrier, and in there lies the rub. They tend not to be very hardy, given they screw directly into the side of the carrier. Remember, you will need to exert a lot of pressure on that knob, should you have a malfunction. There is no other way to clear the gun via 'mortaring', which in most cases can result in breaking the knob off.

There is one version I've seen made by Bear Creek(not necessarily known for quality) that looks a little better than the run-of-the-mill reciprocating side chargers. It comes with an already cut receiver and though pricey, it is likely less expensive than having a smith customize and retrofit an existing carrier and receiver. It is OOS for the moment but has good reviews. You might give them a shout to get an idea on the wait time.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/ar-15/ar-15-receiver/upperreceiver-sidecharging.html

I have one. I modified my charging handle with something that wouldn't loosen as easily.

Heck, if the OP has something to trade I'd put the upper and carrier up. I'm not a fan of them.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD

This is the way I went. The upper and carrier. I replaced the bolt. I’ve barely shot it so I can’t say how durable it is but it shoots great. I like the side charger over the original design for a few reasons.

Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I am looking for a local AR-15 gunsmith who can convert my AR-15 to a reciprocating side charger by installing a bolt knob on my carrier and milling out the frame. Any suggestions?

Side-charging AR-15 uppers exist.

(in this case with BCA it's more cost-effective to buy the complete upper, strip it for the upper and BCG, then sell the parts you don't need or just swap the uppers: https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/ca...barrel-1-7-twist-pistol-7-handguard-scg2.html)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Davidson defense / delta team tactical is no bueno.

Trash parts.

This is an all around bad idea. Sell what you have and buy a platform that has what you want. Hell just buy a Brownells BR180 upper.

Totally agree, as per my first post here, but people are allowed to make their own mistakes.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Davidson defense / delta team tactical is no bueno.

Trash parts.

This is an all around bad idea. Sell what you have and buy a platform that has what you want. Hell just buy a Brownells BR180 upper.

I agree. The only parts that worked well were the upper and carrier. The bolt and barrel were garbage. I'm sick of hearing people say they have one and it works great, they have warranties, etc.

cbrussell

Jan 5, 2013
    Cockeysville, MD
    I did not know of Hanover Armory; thanks for the heads up.
    While I understand a new upper would perhaps be more efficient, I would like to use my present upper.
    White Oak is a possibility, however, I was looking for something closer to home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom