• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 19, 2023
    Westminster
    So my college friend wants to take the MD concealed carry class and does not own a pistol to use for the class. I told her she can borrow my Glock 45, but she is concerned about the legality of borrowing my pistol.

I also offered to take her to the shooting range, and she is also concerned about possessing the pistol with me at the range.

I know most police probably wouldn't fuss about such a matter, but my friend is nervous about getting in any form of legal trouble. She has lived a squeaky clean life and has no legal disqualifications from possessing a firearm.

What are the actual laws on the books that address this issue?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I loan guns to friends all the time. If you are reasonably sure they are not prohibited, it’s perfectly legal.

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    most indoor gun ranges offer gun rentals, and most classes will work with a indoor range for qualification for FREE gun retal during the qualifications.
    remember, whatever she use with the deadly weapon may be traced to you.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    If your friend is planning on carrying she should get some basic lessons and rent/shot several to see what she likes. Then just buy it and take the class with the new gun. Just my 2 cents.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    If your friend is planning on carrying she should get some basic lessons and rent/shot several to see what she likes. Then just buy it and take the class with the new gun. Just my 2 cents.
    But then, assuming it was a 21st century pistol, she'd have to train, pay, print, and wait for HQL first.

It makes much more sense for the OP to lend her his pistol for the class. Then she can get her HQL for free after the HGP application...then she can buy whatever she likes.

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    i went to gilbert indoor range, rentd a glock 19 9mm to practice once a week, 50 rounds each time, at 15 yards
    by the time I took my qualification, I was hitting dead center because they give a sig sauer .22 rims to shoot, feel very easy. I was the top scorer.
    show her how to hold a gun, and basic gun safety, like how to check for bullet cambered, or any bullets in the gun, and teach her how to load bullets into mags, how to reload a gun, and how to hold a gun. let her go to the range a rent a gun for actualy practice or use yours while you don't let the gun out of your sight

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    But then, assuming it was a 21st century pistol, she'd have to train, pay, print, and wait for HQL first.

It makes much more sense for the OP to lend her his pistol for the class. Then she can get her HQL for free after the HGP application...then she can buy whatever she likes.
    I have seen newbies take the class with a gun they have no experience with. It didn't go well. I can see your point though.

Jan 19, 2023
    Westminster
    Wow.

She's afraid she'll get in trouble for shooting your gun at the range with you there?

Wow.

Yes. She's never held a gun before. So she doesn't know anything about the laws. I take my gf shooting all the time, so I know it's not an issue. But I want to give my friend more than just "my word" that it's okay.

Jan 19, 2023
    Westminster
    i went to gilbert indoor range, rentd a glock 19 9mm to practice once a week, 50 rounds each time, at 15 yards
    by the time I took my qualification, I was hitting dead center because they give a sig sauer .22 rims to shoot, feel very easy. I was the top scorer.
    show her how to hold a gun, and basic gun safety, like how to check for bullet cambered, or any bullets in the gun, and teach her how to load bullets into mags, how to reload a gun, and how to hold a gun. let her go to the range a rent a gun for actualy practice or use yours while you don't let the gun out of your sight

Yes, I have a whole powerpoint I crafted up that I use to teach new shooters all the fundamentals.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yes. She's never held a gun before. So she doesn't know anything about the laws. I take my gf shooting all the time, so I know it's not an issue. But I want to give my friend more than just "my word" that it's okay.
    Is she hot?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have seen newbies take the class with a gun they have no experience with. It didn't go well. I can see your point though.
    I teach W&C to students who have never held a gun in their hands, ever. Almost all of them leave with a 100% on the shooting qual.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You won't find laws that say it is OK to lend someone a gun. You will find laws that say what you can't do and if there are no laws saying you can't then you can.

Go with her to a range that rents guns and let her rent one then you can give her some hands on instruction and coaching. Letting her get comfortable with guns and seeing and talking with other gun people will go a long way to allowing her to believe you when you tell her it is alright to loan a gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom