• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Can't find a lot. Anyone have good recipes they'd care to share?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I got real good results loading them with 22.3gn. IMR 4064 in LC brass seated @ 2.260'' I was hitting sub MOA at 100 yds. from a 20'' bble 1:9

Sorry, I don't have a velocity for you.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks. Going to Cabela's tomorrow to get some powder. Just getting a feel for what works.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Couldn't find anything a really felt comfortable saying "I want to load that!"
    Gotcha.. sorry, haven't loaded any of them yet, but I'd look for H335, IMR4064 as mentioned, and would even consider Win748 if I were to test some out.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Shouldn't there be a standard load? I'm a noob, so not positive.
    There is a mil-spec load, but... that's not necessarily 'standard' by reloader's means...

We pick a set of components and load a range of loads to see what it does... if some work, refine them a bit more, if not, pick a different powder and start over.. lol

The Mil-Spec M855 load....

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
      Capture.JPG
      65.9 KB · Views: 148

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The beauty of reloading is that it allows one to refine a load for a given set of components, usually starting with a particular projectile and then work with powder type, charge weight, sometimes OAL to refine a load that work the best in YOUR weapon... they all differ and a 'standard load' is a bit of a compromise that covers 'most weapons' in that caliber.

Reloaders have learned that you can really optimize a load for a given boolit/weapon combination with a little patience and testing that produce the best results with 'that particular' weapon. No two are identical, the all differ a little, and reloading allows you to find what works best in a given weapon.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The beauty of reloading is that it allows one to refine a load for a given set of components, usually starting with a particular projectile and then work with powder type, charge weight, sometimes OAL to refine a load that work the best in YOUR weapon... they all differ and a 'standard load' is a bit of a compromise that covers 'most weapons' in that caliber.

Reloaders have learned that you can really optimize a load for a given boolit/weapon combination with a little patience and testing that produce the best results with 'that particular' weapon. No two are identical, the all differ a little, and reloading allows you to find what works best in a given weapon.

Another thing is that you can create highly accurate ammo, using non-match components, that can be comparable to store bought match ammo.

If you use match components, you will be able to create ammo that far surpasses factory match grade ammo.

There is also a misconception about a single stage/turret press versus a progressive press, in regards to creating high quality "match" grade ammo.

The people that believe that, have not run a good progressive, that is set up properly to keep the exacting tolerances for the "match" grade reloads. I can run my 550 for 308 and maintain 1/1000th of an inch for OAL, in regards to where I have it set. I can maintain that tolerance across all calibers that I load for.

My dad loads ammo on a single stage and I can maintain tolerances that are better than what he can do on his single stage.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Can't find a lot. Anyone have good recipes they'd care to share?

If you are using a Dillon, do not use extruded powder in the powder measure. The Dillon powder measure is meant for use with ball or flake powders.

I attempted to use IMR3031 on mine for 308 and my charge weight was set to 40.0gr on the nose. I threw 10 charges and was horrified to see that the charge weights ranged from 35gr all the way up to 44rg, with absolutely zero consistency. Once I calibrated for ball powder (W760), I was dead on with the charge weight I calibrated the measure for, across all rounds that I generated.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks for all the good advice. These will be the first boolits I load. I'll let the wife fire them and I'll watch from a safe distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom